Router problem - 'acquiring network address'

Old October 14th 05, 06:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Matthew Long

Default Router problem - 'acquiring network address'

Hiya, can someone help me with a problem I have with my wireless adsl
router.

I bought a Belkin one last Saturday, and it all seemed to be working fine,
but yesterday lunchtime, when I switched my PC on, it said 'no, or limited
connection'
I tried using the 'repair' option, but it just keeps saying 'acquiring
network address', but not getting any further than this. I switched off the
router at the plug for about 30 seconds, then tried it again, and everything
seemed fine.
Then I switched my PC on again tonight, and exactly the same thing happened
again. Switching it off and on again sorted it. Have a got a faulty router?
Or is there a setting I've not got right somewhere?

I have the router directly connected to my PC, and a wireless connection to
my fiancee's Laptop. Both PC and Laptop can't get any further than
'acquiring network address'

Thanks for any help given!

Matthew Long

Old October 14th 05, 07:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ivor Jones

"Matthew Long" wrote in message

[snip]

Then I switched my PC on again tonight, and exactly the
same thing happened again. Switching it off and on again
sorted it. Have a got a faulty router? Or is there a
setting I've not got right somewhere?
I have the router directly connected to my PC, and a
wireless connection to my fiancee's Laptop. Both PC and
Laptop can't get any further than 'acquiring network
address'
Thanks for any help given!

Matthew Long

Try setting an address manually. Assuming the router has the address
192.168.1.1 try setting the PC to 192.168.1.10 or similar.

Ivor

Old October 14th 05, 07:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiscali Tim

Matthew Long wrote:

[...]

In order to work together as a network, each device (PC or router in your
case) has to have a unique IP address (4 numbers separated by dots) but all
IP addresses have to be in the same subnet. This usually means that the
first 3 numbers will be the same, and only the 4th one is different.

These IP addresses can be assigned manually or automatically. For it to be
automatic, one device - usually the router - has to act as a DHCP server,
and the TCP/IP settings in each PC have to be set to "Obtain an IP address
automatically". Does your router have any Help information? If so, look up
all about DHCP and make sure you're doing it right.

The alternative - and my preferred solution - is to disable DHCP in the
router, and manually assign a *fixed* IP address to each item. Slightly
trickier to set up, but you should only have to do it once and it will then
work for ever without any of the problems you've been having. For the wired
PC, you will have to operate on the TCP/IP settings for its network card.
Click on "Use the following IP address" and then set the address almost the
same as that of the router except for the last digit. Set the Mask to be
same as that used by the router (typically 255.255.255.0). Set the Default
Gateway to be the same as the router's IP address. Then do the same for the
wireless PC, this time setting the TCP/IP properties of the wireless
connection, and using yet another variation on the last digit of the IP
address.
--
Cheers,
Tim

Old October 16th 05, 07:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Matthew Long

[...]

Thanks for your detailed reply. I tried everything you said, and set them
manually. All seemed OK, but for some reason, I couldn't visit any websites?
Outlook, and instant messenger worked OK. I ended up taking the router back,
and getting another one (BT Voyager 2110) today. All seems fine at the
moment, fingers crossed!

Cheers,

Matthew Long

Old October 17th 05, 05:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
toonarmybarmy

Tiscali Tim Wrote:
Matthew Long wrote:
-
[...]

IP
address.
--
Cheers,
Tim

But dont forget if the laptop is used wirelessly anywhere else the
this configuration will probably not work

--
toonarmybarmy