Modem/router and Filter Location

Old October 28th 05, 09:56 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
TheScullster

Default Modem/router and Filter Location

Hi all

Is there a preferred/optimum location for the modem/router relative to the
masterbox?
The way my house telephone wiring is setup, I intended to do the following:

Get wires only install of broadband from Kingston Communications
Take an unfiltered feed to the loft.
Fit filter in loft and feed modem/router from unfiltered side and wiring
panel for phone distribution from filtered side.

Is this OK or is there a reason why the router has to be close to the
incoming masterbox termination?

TIA

Phil

Old October 28th 05, 12:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiscali Tim

TheScullster wrote:

Hi all

Is there a preferred/optimum location for the modem/router relative
to the masterbox?
The way my house telephone wiring is setup, I intended to do the
following:

Get wires only install of broadband from Kingston Communications
Take an unfiltered feed to the loft.
Fit filter in loft and feed modem/router from unfiltered side and
wiring panel for phone distribution from filtered side.

Is this OK or is there a reason why the router has to be close to the
incoming masterbox termination?

TIA

Phil

What you're suggesting should work - as long as you put filters in all other
sockets which have analog equipment (phones, faxes, analog modems etc.)
plugged into them.

A better solution would be to fit a filtered faceplate to the master socket,
and run a digital extension from it to your loft. That way, all analog
extension wiring connected to the back of the faceplate will be filtered at
source - stopping it from interfering with your ADSL signal - and you won't
need additional filters in your other sockets.

If you use a modified filtered faceplate from Clarity
http://www.clarity.it/telecoms/adsl_faceplate_mod.htm you can wire your
digital extension into the back for neatness. If you wish, you can *even*
use a single CAT5E cable to take both a digital and analog extension to your
attic - using one pair for digital and two pairs for analog - and splitting
out to an RJ11 and BT-type socket at the far end.

Both of these are probably easier than putting your router near the master
socket and then extending your network into the attic - particularly if you
have more than one computer up there.
--
Cheers,
Tim

Old October 28th 05, 10:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bill

Tiscali Tim wrote:

TheScullster wrote:

Hi all

Is there a preferred/optimum location for the modem/router relative
to the masterbox?
The way my house telephone wiring is setup, I intended to do the
following:

Get wires only install of broadband from Kingston Communications
Take an unfiltered feed to the loft.
Fit filter in loft and feed modem/router from unfiltered side and
wiring panel for phone distribution from filtered side.

Is this OK or is there a reason why the router has to be close to the
incoming masterbox termination?

TIA

Phil

What you're suggesting should work - as long as you put filters in all other
sockets which have analog equipment (phones, faxes, analog modems etc.)
plugged into them.

He doesn't need to do that, as written above ALL his analogue stuff is
coming from the filter side in the loft. As such it is fine as long as
the feed up is decent cabling (= twisted pairs or better, not flat)
That is the 'one filter' setup. He could make it a bit tidier with a
filtered slave socket in the loft but perhaps that doesn't matter.

Bill
Old October 29th 05, 01:00 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiscali Tim

Bill wrote:

Tiscali Tim wrote:

What you're suggesting should work - as long as you put filters in
all other sockets which have analog equipment (phones, faxes, analog
modems etc.) plugged into them.

He doesn't need to do that, as written above ALL his analogue stuff is
coming from the filter side in the loft. As such it is fine as long
as the feed up is decent cabling (= twisted pairs or better, not flat)
That is the 'one filter' setup. He could make it a bit tidier with a
filtered slave socket in the loft but perhaps that doesn't matter.

Bill

You may be right - but he didn't say explicitly that there no other analog
extension wiring connected to the master. I interpreted - perhaps wrongly -
his reference to phone distribution wiring to be that just in the attic.

Running a lot of extensions off a single plug-in filter may not be a good
idea because its ring capacitor may not support a high enough REN.
--
Cheers,
Tim