DrayTek Vigor 2600 Multi-Nat/DMZ/VLAN Question

Old November 29th 05, 03:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Lee

Default DrayTek Vigor 2600 Multi-Nat/DMZ/VLAN Question

Hi,

I'm getting broadband with multiple static public IPs, and I'm thinking
of getting a Vigor 2600 to go with this. Can I do the following with a
2600?

(a) I want to run 3 private subnets (say 192.168.0.0/24, 192.168.1.0/24
and 192.168.2.0/24) using the VLAN functionality. My aim is to
segregate 192.168.1.0/24 and 192.168.2.0/24 addresses, but allow both
access to the Internet and 192.168.0.0/24 addresses.

(b) I also want all outbound Internet traffic from the 192.168.1.0/24
subnet to appear to the outside world to come from public IP address #1
and all 192.168.2.0/24 traffic to come from public IP address #2.

(c) I also want to set up port forwarding on public IP address #1 to
machines in the 192.168.1.0/24 subnet and on public IP address #2 to
192.168.2.0/24.

(d) I may also need to route public IP address #3 straight to one of my
VLANs. (And perhaps IP address #4 to another VLAN.)

The big question is can I do all of this at the same time?

I've being doing quite a bit of research, but I can't quite convince
myself that I can do what I want. In particular, the Vigor 2600 manual
I downloaded implies that I need to set up a DMZ to get web requests
etc. to appear to come from a specific IP address. Is this true, or can
I just do some magic with the "Join NAT IP Pool" option?

If I can't do this with the 2600, does anyone know what hardware I can
do it with? Is anyone out there doing anything similar?

Any comments will be very much appreciated; networking isn't my
strongest point.

Thanks!

Old November 29th 05, 06:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andrew Hodgson

On 29 Nov 2005 06:37:21 -0800, "Lee" wrote:

Hi,

I'm getting broadband with multiple static public IPs, and I'm thinking
of getting a Vigor 2600 to go with this. Can I do the following with a
2600?

I would be a bit wary of this. I found with the products that they
were as solid as a rock, but once you started going into public
subnets etc you started to become a bit unstuck. My advise would be
to use something like a Firebrick, which will do what you want, and
there is a dedicated newsgroup for it.

Andrew.
My Email: use andrew at hodgsonfamily dot org.
Old November 29th 05, 06:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Lee

Thanks, but unfortunately the Firebrick is outside my budget.

Does anyone else have any experience of doing what I want to do with
the Vigor 2600plus?

Old November 30th 05, 02:49 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin²

Does anyone else have any experience of doing what I want to do with
the Vigor 2600plus?

Go to seg.co.uk and following the links to support and then forum.
Regards,
Martin

Old November 30th 05, 11:51 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Lee

I have been to the Draytek forum. I posted my question there, but I
didn't get any answers and the forum admininstrator disabled my
account. (!) I can't log on anymore, and if I try the "forgotten
password" link, I get a "Sorry, but your password cannot be retrieved
because your account is currently inactive. Please contact the forum
administrator for more information." message. I'm trying not to read
too much into this, but they don't strike me as a particularly friendly
bunch...

I emailed and fortunately they were much more
helpful. It doesn't look like I can do what I want with just a Vigor.
Here's the response I got, in case it helps anyone else who's trying to
do the same sort of thing:

Hello Lee,

Thank you for your query. What you're suggesting isn't possible with
just a Vigor2800. It would need to be used in conjunction with other
routers.

a. The Vigor can only deal with one subnet. You could still use the
Vigor VLAN facility to separate the ports but you'd need two more
devices to act as the gateway for the other two subnets.

b. Sorry, this can't be done with just the Vigor. There is a MultiNAT
facility where if you put a device into the DMZ host of a WAN IP it
would cause all outbound traffic to appear to come from that IP. THis
means that potentially you could have an additional router for
192.68.2.0/24 and another router for 192.168.1.0/24 with both routers
in the DMZ host for the required public IP.

c. If you went with the DMZ host option the port forward would be
setup on the additional router for each network.

d. For a spare public IP you can use IP routing to router IP address
directly.

Regards,

Old December 8th 05, 02:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

The only thing I can think of is that I asked what could be considered
to be a pre-sales question. They've reinstated me now.

- Lee

Old December 10th 05, 10:16 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ivor Jones

Default Daft VOIP question?

"Peter" wrote in message
news
Hi All,

This is a pretty basic question.

I know how Skype works - it's VOIP with the Skype
software at both ends.

Well, almost ;-)

I've used various such "internet phones", right back to
about 1995, talking to friends in the USA. Back then, the
person you wanted to call had to be on a fixed IP, or use
a dynIP service. Evidently Skype gets around this by
running a central server.

The questionis regarding a more general VOIP. Is there
some sort of standard protocol for VOIP, so you could
just buy a phone with an ethernet cable on it, and plug
it into the back of the router? In a corporate
environment one will generally know the other end's IP,
or at least the IP of their switchboard.

Yes.

But how does VOIP work otherwise, among "normal" people?
Is it a case of just buying a couple of phones and
knowing each other's IP, if on ADSL?

Ask in uk.telecom.voip

Ivor

Old December 10th 05, 03:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jason Clifford

On Sat, 10 Dec 2005, Peter wrote:

I've used various such "internet phones", right back to about 1995,
talking to friends in the USA. Back then, the person you wanted to
call had to be on a fixed IP, or use a dynIP service. Evidently Skype
gets around this by running a central server.

The questionis regarding a more general VOIP. Is there some sort of
standard protocol for VOIP, so you could just buy a phone with an
ethernet cable on it, and plug it into the back of the router? In a
corporate environment one will generally know the other end's IP, or
at least the IP of their switchboard.

Most VoIP providers use SIP. An alternative standard is H.323 although
it's not widely used outside corporate environments.

Skype do not use either. They use a proprietary protocol which is very
dangerous - you cannot safely use it in a corporate environment.

I have seen a Skype-SIP gateway product however it's of limited use.

But how does VOIP work otherwise, among "normal" people? Is it a case
of just buying a couple of phones and knowing each other's IP, if on
ADSL?

For Skype you need a device that supports Skype. Most routers with
integrated VoIP support use SIP as that's the general standard and I think
you'll find just about every other VoIP service provider is SIP based.

Jason Clifford
--
UKPOST.COM get your @ukpost.com address now...
http://www.ukpost.com/ Professional Hosting and Colocation

Old December 10th 05, 08:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"Peter" wrote in message

[snip]

Thank you all. OK, 2 more daft questions:

If I want to make VOIP calls to a friend somewhere, and
we both have ADSL, statis (or known) IPs, and ethernet
VOIP phones, do we need anything else? Should it just
work?

What happens if the IPs aren't static. Is there some
central server for looking up the IPs from say a number
or ID?

This is why you use a VoIP provider such as www.sipgate.co.uk - you get a
normal phone number that can be dialled from anywhere, including another
VoIP phone. It is possible to do it direct with IP addresses but it's not
as simple as that. Sipgate is free to try and to call between phones on
the same and other systems that have a peering agreement. You only need to
pay if you call out to the PSTN.

I would suggest you direct further questions to uk.telecom.voip (cross
posted there for this message).

Ivor