Vigor router provides DNS bytes reversed ?

Old December 6th 05, 08:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John P

Default Vigor router provides DNS bytes reversed ?

I have a small network behind a Vigor2600 router on a Demon
Home/Office line. The router is the DNS server for the network. We
have recently changes to using pop.1and1.co.uk as mail server.
Some machines sometimes cannot reach this server. When I ping the
server from such a machine it returns an IP address with bytes
reversed i.e. should be 212.227.15.182 but it returns 182.15.227.212

If I force a lookup on one of the Demon DNS server with nslookup
pop.1and1.co.uk demonnameserver, it corrects the situation for a while
and then it reverts after a varying period.

Any suggestions to what to look for welcome

JP
Old December 6th 05, 10:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tony

John P wrote on Tue, 6 Dec 2005 at 19:29:17:
I have a small network behind a Vigor2600 router on a Demon Home/Office
line. The router is the DNS server for the network. We have recently
changes to using pop.1and1.co.uk as mail server.
Some machines sometimes cannot reach this server. When I ping the
server from such a machine it returns an IP address with bytes reversed
i.e. should be 212.227.15.182 but it returns 182.15.227.212

If I force a lookup on one of the Demon DNS server with nslookup
pop.1and1.co.uk demonnameserver, it corrects the situation for a while
and then it reverts after a varying period.

Any suggestions to what to look for welcome

John,

I have seen the same symptoms from my Vigor2600G (firmware 2.5.6_UK) -
WinXP setup. I didn't have the time to follow it up beyond checking that
it wasn't mentioned on any newsgroups or Vigor forum, so no solution
from that quarter. In the end, I changed the WinXP networking setup so
that the DNS server entries used Demon's DNS servers directly instead of
pointing at the Vigor DNS proxy. I've not seen the symptoms since. I'm
hoping that a firmware release will correct the problem. 2.5.7_UK for
the 2600G doesn't mention a DNS problem in its release notes, so I
haven't updated yet. However, 2.5.6_UK for the Vigor2600 does mention
fixing a DNS issue. You might like to try updating your firmware if
yours is an earlier release.

--
Tony