How to close a GMX account?

Old December 7th 05, 05:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
§meagol

Default How to close a GMX account?

This may be off topic, so if anyone is able to point me to the correct group
I would be most grateful.

However, quite simply my difficulty is that I wish to close a free e-mail
account I have had with GMX for some years. When I originally signed up
they provided an English site but now they only support in German. Is it
possible for some kind soul to give me step by step instructions as to how I
can navigate my way through their site in order to close the account?

Many thanks.

Dave

Old December 7th 05, 05:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Stephen Howard

On Wed, 7 Dec 2005 16:33:24 -0000, "§meagol"
wrote:

This may be off topic, so if anyone is able to point me to the correct group
I would be most grateful.

However, quite simply my difficulty is that I wish to close a free e-mail
account I have had with GMX for some years. When I originally signed up
they provided an English site but now they only support in German. Is it
possible for some kind soul to give me step by step instructions as to how I
can navigate my way through their site in order to close the account?

You can paste the site's url here and have it ( roughly ) translated
for you:

http://babelfish.altavista.com/translate.dyn

Regards,

www.shwoodwind.co.uk
Old December 7th 05, 06:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
§meagol

wrote:

You can paste the site's url here and have it ( roughly ) translated
for you:

http://babelfish.altavista.com/translate.dyn

Regards,

www.shwoodwind.co.uk

Thanks for that - a bit of a struggle as only the 1st page is translated but
I think I have managed it by pasting various phrases into the translation
panel.

Cheers.

Dave

Old December 7th 05, 08:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul Hutchings

In article , "§meagol"
wrote:

This may be off topic, so if anyone is able to point me to the correct group
I would be most grateful.

However, quite simply my difficulty is that I wish to close a free e-mail
account I have had with GMX for some years. When I originally signed up
they provided an English site but now they only support in German. Is it
possible for some kind soul to give me step by step instructions as to how I
can navigate my way through their site in order to close the account?

Many thanks.

Dave

I'd expect if you just stop using it that it will be closed
automagically after some period of time.

Probably teaching granny but you know you can use pop3/smtp with GMX
don't you - you're not stuck with the German interface unless you go via
the web.

Paul

Old December 7th 05, 09:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
lewis

"Paul Hutchings" wrote in message
news

--

In recent months they have stopped a lot of people outside Germany using
POP3/SMTP and some ISPs such as NTL have blocked the ports anyway. So using

Old December 8th 05, 08:21 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark Carver

lewis wrote:

In recent months they have stopped a lot of people outside Germany using
POP3/SMTP and some ISPs such as NTL have blocked the ports anyway. So using
GMX is useless now. They got annoyed when people in the UK wanted to use
the gmx.net accounts.
The worst mistake they made was removing the English site - but that is
their loss as no one will use the service if German is forced upon them.

I still use them for my primary e-mail account, collecting and sending
via POP3/SMTP, though over the last few months traffic to and from
Freeserve/Wanadodo accounts has been blocked in one direction or the
other at times. Apart from that I find it a very reliable service, I
manage to muddle my way through the German web interface.

Old December 8th 05, 10:47 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
§meagol

wrote:

Probably teaching granny but you know you can use pop3/smtp with GMX
don't you - you're not stuck with the German interface unless you go via
the web.

Paul
--

In recent months they have stopped a lot of people outside Germany using
POP3/SMTP and some ISPs such as NTL have blocked the ports anyway. So
using GMX is useless now. They got annoyed when people in the UK wanted
to use the gmx.net accounts.
The worst mistake they made was removing the English site - but that is
their loss as no one will use the service if German is forced upon them.

To respond to two previous comments.

Yes - I do know about pop3/smtp and have always used it from day one. I
signed up about 5 years ago (two accounts) and had good solid service all
that time, apart from the odd glitch due to maintenance or whatever.
Therefore I have seldom had to visit their web site, so the German has not
been a problem. Being independent of an ISP for everything, apart from
basic access of course, is essential as far as I am concerned. I found that
closing one of the accounts was relatively easy in the end (with a little
help from the online translator previously mentioned) understanding three
words, or short phrases, was all it took, about three clicks and it was
done.

I am not sure I agree about the comment that they have stopped people
outside Germany from using their service. It is a year or two now since
they went German only on the web site and at that time would only accept
future signings from people resident in Germany. As far as I know, and have
experienced, previously existing accounts continue to work - at least mine
does. But then, someone else may know different.

Thanks to all.

Dave

Old December 9th 05, 05:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Unlucky Alf

On Thu, 8 Dec 2005 09:47:53 -0000, "§meagol"
wrote:

I am not sure I agree about the comment that they have stopped people
outside Germany from using their service. It is a year or two now since
they went German only on the web site and at that time would only accept
future signings from people resident in Germany. As far as I know, and have
experienced, previously existing accounts continue to work - at least mine
does. But then, someone else may know different.

Nor am I.

Our family has used them for a few years with three or four GMX
addresses. We use pop3 to retrieve email and _very_ occasionally log
onto the web site as a precaution.

Works fine on all accounts.

Cheers,

Alf.

Old December 9th 05, 06:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
aa

In ,
§meagol wrote:

This may be off topic, so if anyone is able to point me to the correct
group I would be most grateful.

However, quite simply my difficulty is that I wish to close a free e-mail
account I have had with GMX for some years. When I originally signed up
they provided an English site but now they only support in German. Is it
possible for some kind soul to give me step by step instructions as to
how I can navigate my way through their site in order to close the
account?
Many thanks.

Dave

Once logged in, look for icons on bottom half of page and under 'Mein
Account' click 'Status'. On next page click 'Account stillegen'. On next
page they ask for your reason for wanting to cancel, click on 'down arrow'
button and select the first option 'Ich benotige den Account nicht mehr' (I
no longer need the account). Lastly, enter your password in the panel
below and click the 'ubernehmen' button.
--
aa

Old December 9th 05, 06:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
aa

wrote:

[...]

I have used Gmx as my primary account for quite a few years now and an
extremely reliable service it is too. I use their POP3 / SMTP servers via
Blueyonder and rarely have a problem. They share with 1&1 Internet the same
state of the art Data Centre in Germany..Vorsprung durch technik..

http://order.1and1.com/xml/deref?lin...53f3b648ba2833

I've yet to find another free email service that can match them for features
and reliability.

They've recently started requiring written confirmation of an address in
either Germany, Austria or Switzerland within 14 days for free account
subscriptions.
--
aa