Noise margin vs. speed

Old December 7th 05, 10:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Richard Tobin

Default Noise margin vs. speed

I recently upgraded my ADSL conneciton from 500kb to 2Mb. From what
I'd read here, I expected the noise margin to be reduced by about
12dB, but in fact it's barely changed (from 31.0dB to 29.5dB). I see
that the output power has increased from 16.5dBm to 19.0dBm - does
this explain it?

-- Richard
Old December 7th 05, 11:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kraftee

Richard Tobin wrote:
I recently upgraded my ADSL conneciton from 500kb to 2Mb. From what
I'd read here, I expected the noise margin to be reduced by about
12dB, but in fact it's barely changed (from 31.0dB to 29.5dB). I see
that the output power has increased from 16.5dBm to 19.0dBm - does
this explain it?

-- Richard

Doubt it, I would personally wonder about the accuracy of the readings
your router is giving you...

Old December 9th 05, 12:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
George

I recently upgraded my ADSL conneciton from 500kb to 2Mb. From what
I'd read here, I expected the noise margin to be reduced by about
12dB, but in fact it's barely changed (from 31.0dB to 29.5dB). I see
that the output power has increased from 16.5dBm to 19.0dBm - does
this explain it?

-- Richard

It could be that your ISP had your line provisioned at 2Mb anyway, and
was just limiting it to 512 from their end - There are a few ISPs who do
that (including AOL). Obviously, there would be no change in noise
margin etc if this has been the case.

Old December 9th 05, 01:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Richard Tobin

In article ,
Phil Thompson wrote:

31 was probably a maximum displayable value (binary), the actual might
have been 39 dB - lose 12 from that then add on 2.5 for the extra
power and bingo, 29.5 dB.

Possible, but given that it can do .5dB I would have expected the maximum
to be 31.5dB...

-- Richard