onspeed WARNING

Old December 7th 05, 11:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dongle Widget

Default onspeed WARNING

Onspeed sounded great. It got fabulous reviews and. So last Nov I signed up.

I used it for a year on my dial-up connection. It did speed up some things,
but overall it was a disappointment. Web pages loaded quicker if I chose to
accept much reduced picture quality. Emails did not seem to download any
faster. Overall it was decidedly unimpressive.

So towards the end of my subscription year, I uninstalled it.

I thought that was the end of it.....not so

Today I received my credit card statement. It included 24.99 for a renewal
to my onspeed subscription. I rang them. They pointed out that according to
their conditions of service, renewal is AUTOMATIC unless actively cancelled.
I had not realised that. They told me that they had sent an email about the
renewal.....but I had originally provided them with an address that is
spam-proof in that I don't usually read it!

Worse still....they had billed me at a credit card that I had stopped using
but had not cancelled ( I realise now that I should have done!)

They agreed to refund me.....fine....once I had retreived my card details.

They offer a 14-day refund. My credit card statement just happened to come 7
days after the billing date, so I was fortunate. It might have arrived after
too late for me to cancel.

But I wonder just how many subscribers are caught out by this clause in the
conditions of service...........see below

So if you have it and don't want to continue, be sure to check the email
account that you gave them.

And if you don't have it ......well, read all the conditions of service
before you sign up.

Below is an extract from the email that they sent me

Your ONSPEED account renews shortly. There is no action for you to take.
Your card, provided when you initially purchased ONSPEED, will be charged on
01 Dec 2005. This is your renewal confirmation and receipt.

If you want to charge your ONSPEED renewal to a different card, click here.
If you change your card details, your ONSPEED renewal will be charged on
this new card straight away.

Please note: to cancel your automatic renewal, you must call ONSPEED.
Requests via e-mail, fax or post will not be actioned.

--
To email me

its not a dot its an underscore

its not ie its co.uk

Old December 7th 05, 11:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
lewis

Default onspeed

"Dongle Widget" wrote in message
Onspeed sounded great. It got fabulous reviews and. So last Nov I signed
up.

I used it for a year on my dial-up connection. It did speed up some
things,

Not everyone enters into an agreement without reading the terms and
conditions or understanding exactly what they are paying for. I am glad you
have at least realised you need to use a bit of common sense and accept some
responsibility for your own actions in future.
Doing a bit of research on products FIRST is also best otherwise you might
get something that doesn't do what is claimed. I bet sales people love you!

Old December 8th 05, 12:08 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
News24

"Dongle Widget" wrote in
:

Onspeed sounded great. It got fabulous reviews and. So last Nov I
signed up.

I used it for a year on my dial-up connection. It did speed up some
things, but overall it was a disappointment. Web pages loaded quicker
if I chose to accept much reduced picture quality. Emails did not seem
to download any faster. Overall it was decidedly unimpressive.

Is Onespeed actually any good for *normal* web browsing (not so bothered
about image quality or email/downloads). My mother refuses to get
broadband on her connection, but moans about the dial-up so Onespeed is
something I considered getting for her.

My experience of any so-called accelerators is that they offer no noticable
or significant improvement.

Old December 8th 05, 10:43 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Caretaker

News24 wrote:
"Dongle Widget" wrote in
:

Onspeed sounded great. It got fabulous reviews and. So last Nov I
signed up.

I used it for a year on my dial-up connection. It did speed up some
things, but overall it was a disappointment. Web pages loaded quicker
if I chose to accept much reduced picture quality. Emails did not seem
to download any faster. Overall it was decidedly unimpressive.

Is Onespeed actually any good for *normal* web browsing (not so bothered
about image quality or email/downloads). My mother refuses to get
broadband on her connection, but moans about the dial-up so Onespeed is
something I considered getting for her.

My experience of any so-called accelerators is that they offer no noticable
or significant improvement.

It's just a proxy with a cache for webpages you've already seen. It
seems to strip out a lot of extraneous 'bits' from pictures etc etc. It
doesn't actually make the download speeds any faster, it just appears to
browse faster, especially on frequently visited sites. Same as any
other old 'web enhancer'.

If you think it'll help downloading files or transfer of data then it won't.

--
The Caretaker .........
Old December 8th 05, 10:45 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Caretaker

Dongle Widget wrote:
Onspeed sounded great. It got fabulous reviews and. So last Nov I signed up.

So towards the end of my subscription year, I uninstalled it.

I thought that was the end of it.....not so

Snipped tale of woe and customer stupidity.

How can anyone in this day and age enter into an agreement with an ISP
(or anyone for that matter) without reading the small print first?

Dimwittedness of the highest order.

--
The Caretaker .........
Old December 9th 05, 08:31 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Caretaker

Phil Thompson wrote:
On Thu, 08 Dec 2005 09:43:11 GMT, The Caretaker
wrote:

It's just a proxy with a cache for webpages you've already seen.

its more than that, it compresses stuff and caches pages other people
have already seen (or it predicts based on links from pages seen etc).

Has its limitations, but its not "just a cache"

I didn't say it was ... if you read properly.

--
The Caretaker .........
Old December 12th 05, 10:55 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
CJM

wrote:

It's just a proxy with a cache for webpages you've already seen.

its more than that, it compresses stuff and caches pages other people
have already seen (or it predicts based on links from pages seen etc).

Has its limitations, but its not "just a cache"

I didn't say it was ... if you read properly.

--
The Caretaker .........

I read it properly and you are still wrong.... well, disingenuous at
least...

it is a proxy, and they do (obviously) utilize a cache, but this is
incidental. They use a proprietary compression method to that pages and
images are drastically compressed and thus dont take as long to download
from their server. every ISP caches pages, but they dont acheive a 5x speed
improvement do they?

Old December 17th 05, 02:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Dongle Widget wrote:
Onspeed sounded great. It got fabulous reviews and. So last Nov I signed
up.

So towards the end of my subscription year, I uninstalled it.

I thought that was the end of it.....not so

Snipped tale of woe and customer stupidity.

How can anyone in this day and age enter into an agreement with an ISP (or
anyone for that matter) without reading the small print first?

Dimwittedness of the highest order.

--
The Caretaker .........

I COMPLETELY AGREE ! And he comes here to boast about it? Jeez !!

Old December 20th 05, 01:06 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dongle Widget

I COMPLETELY AGREE ! And he comes here to boast about it? Jeez !!

You have a strange notion of boasting, Ms Troll.

Anyway, here is what I think.

I offered my "dimwitted" experiences as a warning: learn from my mistakes.
That aint boasting, and you know it. Not everyone is as savvy as you may
be. Maybe you are an expert in these matters....how about some graciousness
for the millions of us who are not? I was putting my experience forward as
what NOT to do: do not do as I did; DO read the small print. Let us learn
from each other. I thought that this space was for that, rather than
slagging each other off.

And I'll add: do not go with something with the assumption that if a
national newspaper (in my case The Guardian or at least one of their
journalists) recommends it. And maybe anything stated here.

Dongle