Which ADSL router for static subnet?

Old December 7th 05, 10:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.comp.home-networking
Stroller

Default Which ADSL router for static subnet?

Hi there,

Can anyone recommend the best router for use with a small subnet of
globally addressable IPs, please? The office has a number of desktop
PCs which want to be NATted but there are two webservers and I'd like
to have requests on port 80 forwarded to the appropriate machine.

I know that with many routers I could allocate incoming packets on port
81 to the second webserver, but since my ISP (Eclipse) provide a small
subnet of static addresses for free, I'd prefer to port-forward based
also on which IP the request is made to. This saves the users having to
enter http://some.ip:81 to access their webmail.

I usually use Netgear DG834G routers, and have been surprised to find
today that this is unequal to the task - it doesn't even allow a port
on the router to be forwarded to a different port on an internal
machine. I have a Draytek Vigor 2600 at home which seems to do pretty
much what I want, but it's about 3 years old now, so I assume there are
now alternatives; I find the Vigor's interface slightly unintuitive -
although it's better than that on some other brands of routers, the
Negear's is far better. A wireless LAN router would be nice but isn't
necessary.

TIA for any advices,

Stroller.

Old December 8th 05, 12:43 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.comp.home-networking
Peter M

On 7 Dec 2005 22:29, Stroller wrote:

I know that with many routers I could allocate incoming packets on port
81 to the second webserver, but since my ISP (Eclipse) provide a small
subnet of static addresses for free, I'd prefer to port-forward based
also on which IP the request is made to. This saves the users having to
enter http://some.ip:81 to access their webmail.

Rather than using port forwarding, the way I'd expect this to be done is
set the IP addresses of the two web servers to be IP1 and IP2 from your
allocated addresses from Eclipse. After all, that's *surely* why you
had more than a single IP address. Many users can do all they need
with just one address and NAT (where port forwarding then becomes a
necessary 'evil' :-) If you now plan to use port forwarding, the
extra IP addresses allocated are going unused, presumably. PGM
Old December 8th 05, 12:47 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.comp.home-networking
David Wade

"Stroller" wrote in message
Hi there,

Can anyone recommend the best router for use with a small subnet of
globally addressable IPs, please? The office has a number of desktop
PCs which want to be NATted but there are two webservers and I'd like
to have requests on port 80 forwarded to the appropriate machine.

When I got my eclipse account, I found it hard to find a router that would
support such a solution. I have a speedtouch 510 (old model) which is
supposed to support it but I have never got it to work. If you find one let
me know as I would like to have a siliar setup..

TIA for any advices,

Stroller.

Old December 8th 05, 02:18 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.comp.home-networking
Sauron

Draytek 2600+ routers, they cost a bit more but are more than worth it as
they come with tons of features amd support what you are asking.

Old December 8th 05, 08:28 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.comp.home-networking
Moonshine

On Thu, 8 Dec 2005 00:47:53 -0000, "David Wade"
wrote:

"Stroller" wrote in message
.. .
Hi there,

Can anyone recommend the best router for use with a small subnet of
globally addressable IPs, please? The office has a number of desktop
PCs which want to be NATted but there are two webservers and I'd like
to have requests on port 80 forwarded to the appropriate machine.

When I got my eclipse account, I found it hard to find a router that would
support such a solution. I have a speedtouch 510 (old model) which is
supposed to support it but I have never got it to work. If you find one let
me know as I would like to have a siliar setup..

How old a ST510 do you have? What software version is it running? The
4.2.7 ST510 comes with a "custom" template to allow Non-NAT public
subnet configuration.

Even if you have an older Version 3 unit you should be able download
the version 4 template and look at the configuration and copy it for
the older model.

http://www.speedtouch.co.uk/download...mplates427.zip

Old December 8th 05, 08:56 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.comp.home-networking
Doz

"Stroller" wrote in message
Hi there,

Can anyone recommend the best router for use with a small subnet of
globally addressable IPs, please? The office has a number of desktop
PCs which want to be NATted but there are two webservers and I'd like
to have requests on port 80 forwarded to the appropriate machine.

When I got my eclipse account, I found it hard to find a router that would
support such a solution. I have a speedtouch 510 (old model) which is
supposed to support it but I have never got it to work. If you find one let
me know as I would like to have a siliar setup..

TIA for any advices,

Stroller.

I use Zen with the Speedtouch 510 (old model) with multiple IP's. Can be setup
using the web interface.

Doz
Old December 8th 05, 08:57 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.comp.home-networking
Doz

"Stroller" wrote in message
Hi there,

Can anyone recommend the best router for use with a small subnet of
globally addressable IPs, please? The office has a number of desktop
PCs which want to be NATted but there are two webservers and I'd like
to have requests on port 80 forwarded to the appropriate machine.

When I got my eclipse account, I found it hard to find a router that would
support such a solution. I have a speedtouch 510 (old model) which is
supposed to support it but I have never got it to work. If you find one let
me know as I would like to have a siliar setup..

TIA for any advices,

Stroller.

Sorry.. full details on how to do it he

http://web.ukonline.co.uk/jjworld/
Old December 8th 05, 11:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.comp.home-networking
Richard Tobin

In article ,
Moonshine wrote:

Can anyone recommend the best router for use with a small subnet of
globally addressable IPs, please? The office has a number of desktop
PCs which want to be NATted but there are two webservers and I'd like
to have requests on port 80 forwarded to the appropriate machine.

When I got my eclipse account, I found it hard to find a router that would
support such a solution. I have a speedtouch 510 (old model) which is
supposed to support it but I have never got it to work. If you find one let
me know as I would like to have a siliar setup..

How old a ST510 do you have? What software version is it running? The
4.2.7 ST510 comes with a "custom" template to allow Non-NAT public
subnet configuration.

He doesn't want a non-NAT configuration. He wants NAT with multiple
external addresses mapped to multiple internal addresses.

I too have been unable to persuade my ST510 (software 4.2.7.16.0) to
do it.

-- Richard
Old December 9th 05, 08:55 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.comp.home-networking
Moonshine

On 8 Dec 2005 23:16:25 GMT, (Richard Tobin)
wrote:

In article ,
Moonshine wrote:

[...]

OK, that ones easy with 4.2.7.16 firmware.

Just configure using "default" NAT template (or custom if you want to
change the private IP address range)

Then use the "Multi NAT" option on the web gui to map outside public
IP to required inside private IP.

Make sure you use the PPP interface not the default Ethernet interface
in the drop down, or it won't work.
Old December 9th 05, 12:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.comp.home-networking
Richard Tobin

In article ,
Moonshine wrote:

OK, that ones easy with 4.2.7.16 firmware.

Just configure using "default" NAT template (or custom if you want to
change the private IP address range)

Then use the "Multi NAT" option on the web gui to map outside public
IP to required inside private IP.

I expected that to work, but it didn't.

(I think it accepted the multi-nat mapping, but connections didn't
in fact work, but I'm not at home so I can't check that now.)

Make sure you use the PPP interface not the default Ethernet interface
in the drop down, or it won't work.

I didn't make that mistake.

-- Richard