limiting download times on broadband

Old December 8th 05, 12:31 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
efcman4ever

Default limiting download times on broadband

just in the process of switching from bt to tiscali after BT collared
me over my excessive downloading.

i checked with tiscali, and they told me that as long as i didnt hammer
the downloading during peaktimes, then i wouldnt be penalised.

the software i use (newsleecher) doesnt have a facility to prevent
downloading at certain times. i was wondering if anyone could
recommend a prog that could stop my news client at certain times on
certain days?

thanks.

Old December 8th 05, 11:29 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
muzz

MinusNet wrote:
efcman4ever wrote

just in the process of switching from bt to tiscali
after BT collared me over my excessive downloading.

i checked with tiscali, and they told me that as long as
i didnt hammer the downloading during peaktimes, then i
wouldnt be penalised.

Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
One born every minute

the software i use (newsleecher) doesnt have a facility
to prevent downloading at certain times. i was
wondering if anyone could recommend a prog that could
stop my news client at certain times on certain days?

thanks.

Once you see the massive drop in speed in the evenings you probably won't
bother downloading anything. I have just switched from Wanadoo to Toucan who
supply their broadband through Tiscali and it is a joke. I have a 1Mb
connection and during the day it's fine speeds are in the 8-900 Kbps. In the
evening I get 150-450Kbps.
I had a friend check his connection speed at the same time I was doing mine
he was still getting 8-900Kbps, he is with Wanadoo.

--
Muzz
http://highlandmist.blogspot.com

Old December 8th 05, 12:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Bolt

On Thu, 8 Dec 2005, Mugwump wrote:-

In article . com,
says...

the software i use (newsleecher) doesnt have a facility to prevent
downloading at certain times. i was wondering if anyone could
recommend a prog that could stop my news client at certain times on
certain days?

thanks.

I use Newspro (not Newsbin Pro). This has a scheduling facility.

Newsbin Pro v5 doesn't have scheduling, but does now have the ability to
limit the bandwidth used between specific times.

Regards,
David Bolt

--
Member of Team Acorn checking nodes at 50 Mnodes/s: http://www.distributed.net/
AMD1800 1Gb WinXP/SUSE 9.3 | AMD2400 256Mb SuSE 9.0 | A3010 4Mb RISCOS 3.11
Old December 8th 05, 06:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Invisible Man

efcman4ever wrote:
just in the process of switching from bt to tiscali after BT collared
me over my excessive downloading.

i checked with tiscali, and they told me that as long as i didnt hammer
the downloading during peaktimes, then i wouldnt be penalised.

the software i use (newsleecher) doesnt have a facility to prevent
downloading at certain times. i was wondering if anyone could
recommend a prog that could stop my news client at certain times on
certain days?

thanks.

I am just a little surprised that anyone migrates to Tiscali. There are
complaints all over NGs and forums about their slow speeds, failing to
admit to throttling, script readers that tell you to reinstall windows,
transfer you to other queues and eventually to closed departments.

When I used Tiscali broadband speeds were often slower than the slowest
dial up modem.
It took several weeks and 3 letters to their chief exec to get free of
them. Best of luck!
Old December 8th 05, 11:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
efcman4ever

Tit

Old December 8th 05, 11:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
efcman4ever

a friend of mine is on the 2meg (has been for a couple of months with
no compaints). thanks for the reply anyway. (not like the blert who
answered above).