DLink DSL300T with multiple public IPs

Old December 8th 05, 11:05 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Daniel Fernandes

Default DLink DSL300T with multiple public IPs

Hi there

I have got several public IPs on my ADSL connection through Zen
Internet.
I have a Windows Server 2003 box using RRAS connected to DLink ADSL
modem.

I would like to know if both the DSL300T and Windows Server 2003 can be
configured to allow me to use all the public IPs Zen allocated to me ?

I tried that several times in the past and I just can't make it work.
It's either the modem not doing what I wished it could do or the NAT
service of RRAS that fails when I assign multiple IPs to the public
adapter.

Any help would be grateful!

Thanks
Daniel

Old December 8th 05, 08:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mr. Adam ALLEN

On Thu, 08 Dec 2005 03:05:27 -0800, Daniel Fernandes wrote:

Hi there

I have got several public IPs on my ADSL connection through Zen
Internet.
I have a Windows Server 2003 box using RRAS connected to DLink ADSL
modem.

I would like to know if both the DSL300T and Windows Server 2003 can be
configured to allow me to use all the public IPs Zen allocated to me ?

I have Zen and get to use all 8 IP's with a DSL300T.
However, the DSL300T is a pile of crap.

I have a crontab setup to telnet into the modem every 1 hour and check the
following

- it's ppp0 interface is still up
- static routes and static arps for all my 8 IP's pointing out br0
(.80-.87)
- iptables --flush to clear it's firewall

I have a Linux box as a firewall before my LAN.
- My linux box has the top end public address .86 facing the modem, and
..87 on the lan side (.87 will be the network address for the adjacent
subnet, so likely someone elses network address)
- All my computers have 1 of the 7 public IP .81-.85, but
default to .87

It ought to be possible to do this without the linux firewall but will
loose the top end of the usable addresses.

Adam

Old December 9th 05, 10:04 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Daniel Fernandes

Adam

Thanks I will give this a try.

I found some TCP settings for the DSL300T that made mine much more
stable. It only crashed after 2 weeks even with lots of P2P traffic
going through.

If you don't mind could you give me in detail the commands required for
setting these static routes and arps ?

Thanks
Daniel

Old December 9th 05, 11:07 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Quinten Uijldert

Daniel Fernandes wrote:
Adam

Thanks I will give this a try.

I found some TCP settings for the DSL300T that made mine much more
stable. It only crashed after 2 weeks even with lots of P2P traffic
going through.

If you don't mind could you give me in detail the commands required for
setting these static routes and arps ?

Thanks
Daniel

Although I'm with Eclipse, I do agree with the sentiment of previous poster
on the DSL300T. By far, the easiest way is to add new routes to the
generated one on the modem. Whenever my modem reboots, I telnet in and add
the routes manually, which works reasonably well-ish. Annoying, but not too
annoying. The .177 is a m0n0-wall linux firewall who then deals with the
traffic for each machine.

The commands I use is:

route add ##.##.##.178 gw ##.##.##.177
route add ##.##.##.179 gw ##.##.##.177
...etc

HTH,

Q.
--
Smile, tomorrow will be worse

*** to reply, please use usenet [at] awooga [.] nl ***

Old December 9th 05, 01:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Daniel Fernandes

Apart from the known fact that the DSL300T can crash easily if using
P2P software what are the other problems with it ?
As I said in a previous post I managed to find some settings that make
it quite more stable, I've tweaked them further to see if it can work
continuously for a month...

What would be a good replacement as an ADSL modem + Ethernet port ?

Thanks
Dan

Old December 9th 05, 09:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mr. Adam ALLEN

On Fri, 09 Dec 2005 11:07:23 +0000, Quinten Uijldert wrote:

Daniel Fernandes wrote:
[quoted text muted]

Although I'm with Eclipse, I do agree with the sentiment of previous poster
on the DSL300T. By far, the easiest way is to add new routes to the
generated one on the modem. Whenever my modem reboots, I telnet in and add
the routes manually, which works reasonably well-ish. Annoying, but not too
annoying. The .177 is a m0n0-wall linux firewall who then deals with the
traffic for each machine.

The commands I use is:

route add ##.##.##.178 gw ##.##.##.177
route add ##.##.##.179 gw ##.##.##.177
..etc

I had problems with routing to an next-hop ip address. (and I think
the need for arps is down to just shoving out of br0)
It was easiest to setup a script to run out of cron for the reboots.

I think in future I'm staying away from Dlink product (also have a USB
Ethernet, as the linux firewall is actually a Mac Mini). But if the
Ethernet interface ever flaps between the DSL-300T and USB Ethernet the
USB Ethernet dies (so the script has to do a ifconfig down, rmmod dance
before it works).

Never had a motivation nor need to touch Windows (since NT4), so can't
help the original poster more.

Cheers,
Adam

HTH,