Problem with wireless lan seeing wired lan through ZyXEL 660HW

Old December 8th 05, 12:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
AndyColeman

Default Problem with wireless lan seeing wired lan through ZyXEL 660HW

Hi,

I have a ZyXEL 660HW ADSL router connected to the net with Zen. I have
two PCs connected to the router via wires and two PCs connected via
WiFi. All four PCs can access the internet through the router, the two
WiFi PCs can ping each other and the two wired PCs can ping each other.

But neither of the wired PCs can ping either of the WiFi PCs and visa
versa.

Before moving to Zen I was with BT and had a seperate ADSL router with
a Linksys WAP connected to one of the ports. At that point all of the
PCs could ping each other.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
Andy

Old December 8th 05, 01:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiscali Tim

AndyColeman wrote:

Hi,

I have a ZyXEL 660HW ADSL router connected to the net with Zen. I have
two PCs connected to the router via wires and two PCs connected via
WiFi. All four PCs can access the internet through the router, the two
WiFi PCs can ping each other and the two wired PCs can ping each
other.

But neither of the wired PCs can ping either of the WiFi PCs and visa
versa.

Before moving to Zen I was with BT and had a seperate ADSL router with
a Linksys WAP connected to one of the ports. At that point all of the
PCs could ping each other.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
Andy

Sounds like they may be different subnets. How are the IP addresses and
subnet maskes for each of the PCs assigned - is the router acting as a DHCP
server and assigning them, or are they manually assigned? What wireless
security are you using?

You can see what each PC is set to by typing "ipconfig /all" at the Command
Prompt. Look at the IP address and subnet mask of the wireless connection on
the wireless PCs and of the ethernet card on the wired PCs. They should all
have the same subnet mask and all have very similar (but unique) IP
addresses - probably only differing in the final octet. The router's LAN IP
and mask (not to be confused with its WAN IP) should be in the same range as
the PCs.
--
Cheers,
Tim

Old December 8th 05, 02:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
AndyColeman

I am at work at the moment but only the last octect is different and
all starting with 192.168.1.33 going through to 192.168.1.37

The IP address of the router is 192.168.1.1

If it helps I have not changed any of the config on the router from the
factory defaults.

Regards
Andy

Old December 8th 05, 03:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiscali Tim

AndyColeman wrote:

I am at work at the moment but only the last octect is different and
all starting with 192.168.1.33 going through to 192.168.1.37

The IP address of the router is 192.168.1.1

If it helps I have not changed any of the config on the router from
the factory defaults.

Regards
Andy

When you get home, perhaps you could check the subnet mask on all machines,
including the router. It is probably 255.255.255.0 - but 128 or 192 in the
last octet would also work.

By default, the router will act as a DHCP server and dish out IP addresses.
To use this, the PCs would have to be configured to "obtain an IP address
automatically" rather than to use a specified IP address. However, there
have been recent posts suggesting that, with certain levels of wireless
security, DHCP doesn't work properly - and the PC does its own thing. There
seems to be a potential problem of the PC needing an IP address before it
can get through the security to ask for an IP address . .

I always prefer to give everything fixed addresses anyway - and to disable
DHCP on the router. It seems to avoid a whole host of problems. Of course,
if you want to use a wireless laptop in a public hotspot somewhere, you'll
have to set it to get an IP address automatically again - but that's very
quick to do.
--
Cheers,
Tim

Old December 8th 05, 05:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
AndyColeman

I used fixed ips prior to my move to Zen and the new router. But with
the new router I changed all of my clients to use DHCP and I am sure
each machine is getting a correct IP. But I guess I could change back
to using static IPs again.

Old December 8th 05, 07:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiscali Tim

AndyColeman wrote:

I used fixed ips prior to my move to Zen and the new router. But with
the new router I changed all of my clients to use DHCP and I am sure
each machine is getting a correct IP. But I guess I could change back
to using static IPs again.

It's certainly worth a try!
--
Cheers,
Tim

Old December 9th 05, 06:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Nicola Redwood

"Tiscali Tim" wrote in message
AndyColeman wrote:

I used fixed ips prior to my move to Zen and the new router. But with
the new router I changed all of my clients to use DHCP and I am sure
each machine is getting a correct IP. But I guess I could change back
to using static IPs again.

It's certainly worth a try!
--
Cheers,
Tim
______

DHCP will not work with certain NICs - I only know of a 3Com one
specifically, but I know there are others although rare. With the 3Com
card, the issue was specifically with auto-negotiation on switches - if
auto-negotiation was changed on the port of the switch to use 10 / 100 HD,
DHCP worked fine. It was easier to use static IPs on the affecged PC's and
document than start messing around with the switches.