Tiscali logging out

Old December 8th 05, 07:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ferret

Default Tiscali logging out

Hi,
A friend has just converted from dial up to broadband and he has started
to get prblems. After about 5-10 mins, he gets logged off and has to start
again. This keeps happening all the time. His internet settings seem to be
OK, no time out set, etc, and Tiscali have been no use, surprise, surprise,
in helping to solve his problems. Can anyone give any pointers as to what to
look for.

Many thanks

Ferret

Old December 8th 05, 07:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kraftee

Ferret wrote:
Hi,
A friend has just converted from dial up to broadband and he has
started to get prblems. After about 5-10 mins, he gets logged off and
has to start again. This keeps happening all the time. His internet
settings seem to be OK, no time out set, etc, and Tiscali have been
no use, surprise, surprise, in helping to solve his problems. Can
anyone give any pointers as to what to look for.

Many thanks

Ferret

What do you mean logged off, does the modem lose synch or does the link
just die or what...

The chances are it will be a loss of synch, if so it's time to make sure
that all telephoney equipment (including alarms, sky digi boxes etc) are
filtered. If they are then unplug everything check each filter in turn,
with the modem. If it's still losing synch you need to go to the main
socket, remove the lower part of it & plug a known good filter in & test
from there. If it's still doing it then you have to prevail over the
Tiscali support desk to either send another modem &/or get the local
ADSL Openreach tech to call.

Note that the Openreach tech will only test to the test socket, anything
after that is your responcibility & if you require them to go any
further then costs will be incured, in most cases, nowadays, Yes more
tightening up of the get them working under any circumstances rules
which they used to operate under...

If you do not have a NTE5 test socket the engineer should fit you one at
the logical point in the circuit, remember what's logical to you may not
be logical to the engineer...

Old December 8th 05, 08:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave Stanton

On Thu, 08 Dec 2005 18:10:44 +0000, Ferret wrote:

Hi,
A friend has just converted from dial up to broadband and he has started
to get prblems. After about 5-10 mins, he gets logged off and has to start
again. This keeps happening all the time. His internet settings seem to be
OK, no time out set, etc, and Tiscali have been no use, surprise, surprise,
in helping to solve his problems. Can anyone give any pointers as to what to
look for.

Many thanks

Ferret

OS ? router or modem ? would be nice so we can give a better answer.

Dave

Old December 9th 05, 01:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ferret

Hi Dave,
Thanks Dave and all who have helped. Modem is a speedtouch 330 (cheap
one given "free"), OS is windows XP, I don't know if it's home or
professional, running on a Lap top. He assures me that he has disabled any
items that logs him out automatically. Until I can get to him personally
over Xmas, I can't say any more than this.

Thanks
Ferret
news

Old December 10th 05, 12:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

In the dim and distant past on Fri, 9 Dec 2005 12:04:56 -0000
it was rumoured that Ferret spake thus:

Hi Dave,
Thanks Dave and all who have helped. Modem is a speedtouch 330 (cheap
one given "free"), OS is windows XP, I don't know if it's home or
professional, running on a Lap top. He assures me that he has disabled any
items that logs him out automatically. Until I can get to him personally
over Xmas, I can't say any more than this.

Thanks
Ferret

Check out the Tiscali support forums for some more help
http://www.tiscali.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=88442

Is he on DataStream or IpStream?
To find out go to startmenu select run and type cmd then at the prompt
type tracert bbc.co.uk
If the first hop includes lns he is on IPstream, if it just has a three
letter place name then he is on DataStream

Also at the command prompt type ipconfig /all

I presume he has tried re-installing the software

There is also a specific thread in the support forum about random
disconnections http://www.tiscali.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=86526
Most of the things there have already been mentioned

What error codes is he getting. There is some specific help about error
codes here http://www.tiscali.co.uk/help/broadband/modemsetup

HTH Dave