Telewest Cable to a Router & 2 PC's?

Old December 10th 05, 02:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
McEwan

Default Telewest Cable to a Router & 2 PC's?

Hi all.. sorry if this is covered elsewhere but I'm trying to help a
friend out and getting nowhere!

Friend has Telewest Broadband, via a SB5100 Cable modem to a WinXP PC.
I have tried to set them up with a home network using the following
setup.

Main Pc (WinXP) into Lan port of a D-Link DSL-G604T Wireless router /
modem.
SB5100 Cable Modem into another Lan Port on same router.
2nd PC (Win98SE) Wireless Linked via Router.

Problems I'm having are;

Main PC only has intermittent Connection to the internet and even when
it does it is very very slow.. to the point of d/loading emails is
almost like Dial-Up.

2nd PC can see the network, and share files etc, but doesn't see the
WAN, i.e. Internet.

Have made sure the SB5100 is booted up before the router & Pc's so that
the IP allocated to main PC is the Blueyonder IP, still the same.

Any Ideas??

Old December 10th 05, 02:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
sandman112

"McEwan" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

what make/model of router are you using, are you sure its NOT an ADLS router
..... the set up should be this

Cable modem SB5100 ----- WAN port on router

LAN port on router ------ Netowrk card on PC

if the other PC is wireless then that should be ok how it is.

This is exaclt the same set up as i have using SB4100 modem and belkin
F5D7231 router and mines works great most of the time (except for the crap
wireless dropping out every so ofter), if your still having problems post
more details and im sure someone will help

Old December 10th 05, 02:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
McEwan

as I said in my original post, it is a D-Link DSL-G604T Modem / Router.
Yes it is an ADSL modem, but I am not using the WAN port on the router,
I'm using the LAN side to distribute the already DEmodulated cable
signal from the SB5100 modem.

Old December 10th 05, 02:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kraftee

McEwan wrote:
as I said in my original post, it is a D-Link DSL-G604T Modem /
Router. Yes it is an ADSL modem, but I am not using the WAN port on
the router, I'm using the LAN side to distribute the already
DEmodulated cable signal from the SB5100 modem.

Ain't gonna happen, you won't be able to specify the gateway Ip which is
what you need to access the internet, act as a dhcp server or anything
else you want. All you may be able to do is use it as a switch

Plain ethernet routers are cheap as chips nowadays so why not just get
the right equipment for the job?

Old December 10th 05, 02:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Yddap

In oups.com,
McEwan opined very noisily:
as I said in my original post, it is a D-Link DSL-G604T Modem /
Router. Yes it is an ADSL modem, but I am not using the WAN port on
the router, I'm using the LAN side to distribute the already
DEmodulated cable signal from the SB5100 modem.

Get a cable router.
What you are trying is fraught with difficulties as you have found
The modem will only talk to one Mac address
Failing that you will have to set up ICS on Comp #1
--

Yddap
BY User

Old December 10th 05, 05:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
ASI Industries

You need to clone the mac address for the card that is registered in the
cable modem, however just power-down the modem for a few secs, that will
reset the modem and allow you to register a different nic or pc.

programs needed:
Cmd
Getmac
Any browser.

Open cmd
type getmac on system that the modem worked on.

write down the mac address. or addresses if there is more than one nic.

open browser
type http://192.168.XXX.1 ; replace XXX with the number in your router
manual, also somtimes on the back of the router.

Log in: use the username and password supplied in the manual.

In the basic setup there should be a CLONE MAC Address function, type in
the mac address you got from Getmac.exe, save settings, log-out and try the
other pc for internet.

It is best to log-in to the router from a wired connection, sometimes the
wireless functions are disabled in the router from the start.

You can change the channel numbers in both, router and wireless cards,
sometimes the basic channel 11 is getting too much interference from other
nearby sources.

Ideally the router should be at least 1 metre away from the wireless nic to
work properly.

Old December 10th 05, 06:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark McIntyre

On 10 Dec 2005 05:10:05 -0800, in uk.telecom.broadband , "McEwan"
wrote:

Have made sure the SB5100 is booted up before the router & Pc's so that
the IP allocated to main PC is the Blueyonder IP,

This is your mistake. The PCs should all have private IP addresses,
typically in the 192.168.x.x range. The router should have 2 IP
addresses, one being BY's IP, the other being another private addy.

As you've set it up, only one PC will be able to see the internet, and
that one will have the same IP as the router's WAN port - you'll get
horrible problems.

Just set all the PCs to automatic IP address discovery, and reboot
them.
Old December 10th 05, 06:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark McIntyre

On 10 Dec 2005 05:34:41 -0800, in uk.telecom.broadband , "McEwan"
wrote:

as I said in my original post, it is a D-Link DSL-G604T Modem / Router.
Yes it is an ADSL modem, but I am not using the WAN port on the router,
I'm using the LAN side to distribute the already DEmodulated cable
signal from the SB5100 modem.

Thats a total nonstarter. The LAN ports of the router are just a
switch, you can't connect multiple PCs to a single internet connection
with a switch. You absolutely must use the WAN port for the modem,
this is what its for.
Old December 10th 05, 06:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark McIntyre

wrote:

as I said in my original post, it is a D-Link DSL-G604T Modem / Router.
Yes it is an ADSL modem, but I am not using the WAN port on the router,
I'm using the LAN side to distribute the already DEmodulated cable
signal from the SB5100 modem.

Thats a total nonstarter. The LAN ports of the router are just a
switch, you can't connect multiple PCs to a single internet connection
with a switch. You absolutely must use the WAN port for the modem,
this is what its for.

.... and given that you have an ADSL router, it probably doesn't have a
cable-ready WAN port. You need to buy a cable-ready router, not an
ADSL one.
Old December 10th 05, 08:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
lewis

"McEwan" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

You (I mean your friend!) has bought the wrong thing, the D-Link DSL-G604T
will never do what you want it to.