Usergroup article on 1% usage

Old December 12th 05, 12:21 AM posted to plusnet.service.customer-feedback,uk.telecom.broadband
if

Default Usergroup article on 1% usage

"Douglas Clark" wrote in
:

http://usergroup.plus.net/news_1pctfigures.php

OK, so average use by Plusnet BB+ users is 2.5GB/month.

What they pay for is a connection of up to 2Mb down + .25Mb which could
theoretically transfer 740GB/month; rationed at 50:1 this works out as just
under 15GB/month. So BB+ customers are using only 17% of what they pay for,
yet Plusnet are crying that they are being drowned by heavy downloaders!

In fact only 3% of BB+ users seem to be using more than what they paid for,
and the worst 1% only average 50GB/month!

If a 2.5GB/month average really is maxing out Plusnet's capacity then it
implies that people have been sold a 50:1 contract but only been given a
300:1 connection.

--
See other side for details.
Old December 12th 05, 12:33 AM posted to plusnet.service.customer-feedback,uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager

On Sun, 11 Dec 2005 23:21:44 UTC, if wrote:

If a 2.5GB/month average really is maxing out Plusnet's capacity then it
implies that people have been sold a 50:1 contract but only been given a
300:1 connection.

But they weren't sold a 50:1 contract, were they? 50:1 refers to the
contention (instantaneous) between exchange and ISP, and doesn't reflect
the ISP's own capacity. I doubt that most ISPs would even admit what
their internal contention ratio *is*, let alone include it in a
contract.

(this is a general point, and no defence of PlusNet; I think their
continual changing of, and reneging on, contracts is indefensible).

I have recommended them often in the past, and am now encouraging all of
those clients to move away from PlusNet.

euthanasia recommended. ]

Old December 12th 05, 01:40 PM posted to plusnet.service.customer-feedback,uk.telecom.broadband
Old Codger

Bob Eager wrote:
On Sun, 11 Dec 2005 23:21:44 UTC, if wrote:

If a 2.5GB/month average really is maxing out Plusnet's capacity
then it implies that people have been sold a 50:1 contract but only
been given a 300:1 connection.

But they weren't sold a 50:1 contract, were they? 50:1 refers to the
contention (instantaneous) between exchange and ISP, and doesn't
reflect the ISP's own capacity. I doubt that most ISPs would even
admit what their internal contention ratio *is*, let alone include it
in a contract.

PN claim their internal contention is 30:1. They try to give the impression
that that is the total contention.

--
Old Codger
e-mail use reply to field

Old December 12th 05, 01:44 PM posted to plusnet.service.customer-feedback,uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

On 12 Dec 2005 12:40, "Old Codger" wrote:

PN claim their internal contention is 30:1.

... for some accounts, only.
Old December 12th 05, 04:39 PM posted to plusnet.service.customer-feedback,uk.telecom.broadband
Marksfish

I doubt the figures are anything like correct. ALL of the heavy users
left pussnet months ago. To claim there are still people who can/are
allowed to download 140Gb a month from ****net is total ****ing lie.

Well the figures were there in sparkling colour for us to see at the
weekend. One BB+ customer even managed to download 350GB, how on earth??????

Old December 12th 05, 07:29 PM posted to plusnet.service.customer-feedback,uk.telecom.broadband
cw

if wrote in
:

If a 2.5GB/month average really is maxing out Plusnet's capacity then
it implies that people have been sold a 50:1 contract but only been
given a 300:1 connection.

You are missing one key point which I forgot to take into consideration
at first. The problem is not with the figures averaged over a month. The
problem is with periodic realtime fluctuations. Regardless of the
average, if 80% of that 2.5GB/month occurs within a couple of hours each
day (and that used by the heavier users) then you get congestion.

That is why these figures are irrelevant (for the intents and purposes
being discussed). Figures including time of day must be presented before
anyone can claim they justify or rebutt PlusNet's claims.

--
Colin
Old December 13th 05, 01:15 AM posted to plusnet.service.customer-feedback,uk.telecom.broadband
if

cw wrote in
:

if wrote in
:

If a 2.5GB/month average really is maxing out Plusnet's capacity then
it implies that people have been sold a 50:1 contract but only been
given a 300:1 connection.

You are missing one key point which I forgot to take into consideration
at first. The problem is not with the figures averaged over a month. The
problem is with periodic realtime fluctuations.

You can actually calculate this from the plusnet daily traffic graphs, now
that we know how many subscribers there are. For BB+ during the last week
it works out at about 110:1 usage at peak time dropping to 170:1 at the
bottom (assuming you can just add up+down together). So yes, that's quite a
bit less than the 300:1 I originally calculated (probably because the
published table includes traffic from the month of the maximum throttling
fiasco when no-one could download hardly anything), but still doesn't
explain why my downloads are throttled to 256Kb off-peak, and around
100Kbps peak time. If they really have 50:1 capacity they could let speeds
double at peak time and triple at off-peak.

Anyway I got my MAC code today so all this is rather academic. I'm
switching from the 1Mb plusnet 'shaped' connection to a 512Kb unshaped one
elsewhere; despite the nominal speed halving it should give me double the
night time speed and quintuple the peak time speeds I'm getting now.

--
See other side for details.