Tiscali - Fair Use part 2

Old December 12th 05, 04:04 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Cog

Default Tiscali - Fair Use part 2

Yet another fair use warning from Tiscali...

See:
http://groups.google.com/group/uk.te...bd388c89173aad

This new warning is despite the fact that I haven't used streaming
internet radio at all. Nothing but the web and usenet (no binaries, purely
text discussions)... no downloads... nothing, during peak time,

Tiscali's fair use warnings appear to be pulled out of their arses. I can
only assume that Tiscali's measure of "exceptionaly high" appears to be
anyone who uses the internet for more than checking emails once or twice a
day during peak time. I don't think it's even worth the effort of querying
their warning. I'll just be treated to another form-letter email telling
me nothing of use.

I can only hold myself up as an example of why no-one should sign-up with
Tiscali. What a joke.
Old December 12th 05, 06:57 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Cog

On Mon, 12 Dec 2005 04:38:10 +0000, Vhit wrote:

I've been with tiscali about 6 months and i've never received a fair
warning from them yet .

While not defending them - wouldnt a lot more people be posting about it
to this newsgroup if what happened to you was the average .

The only other possible reason is that they are warning me about my use
OUTSIDE peak hours (which is very high), but they repeatedly state
explicitly that use outside peak is unlimited: "You may upload and
download as you wish outside the peak hours". The only explanations are
that they a

a) Lying about the unlimited outside peak claims

b) Varying what they consider exceptional according to the exchange --
meaning that if you live on a contended exchange you get warned for
virtually anything

c) They are measuring it incorrectly

I'm quite serious when I say that I have done nothing but web/text usenet
and haven't downloaded anything during peak time at all. Whatever they are
doing, I'm now in a situation where apparently my only option is to not
use the Internet at all during peak times... or I'll be put on this shared
pipe next month, despite being conscientious and careful about observing
their FUP. I may as well have not bothered and just left the downloads
going 24/7. So much for making the effort, eh?
Old December 12th 05, 07:34 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Caretaker

Cog wrote:
[...]

Are you using the same 'Peak Times' as they are ?

--
The Caretaker .........
Old December 12th 05, 08:08 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Daniel

Just migrate to another provider. Tiscali have the worst reputation of any
ISP. If you are still in your 12 month contract have a look at the terms of
this warning. Most providers when they issue warnings are happy for you to
move to another ISP.

Dan

Old December 12th 05, 09:48 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John

"Cog" wrote in message
news
Yet another fair use warning from Tiscali...

See:
http://groups.google.com/group/uk.te...bd388c89173aad

This new warning is despite the fact that I haven't used streaming
internet radio at all. Nothing but the web and usenet (no binaries, purely
text discussions)... no downloads... nothing, during peak time,

Tiscali's fair use warnings appear to be pulled out of their arses. I can
only assume that Tiscali's measure of "exceptionaly high" appears to be
anyone who uses the internet for more than checking emails once or twice a
day during peak time. I don't think it's even worth the effort of querying
their warning. I'll just be treated to another form-letter email telling
me nothing of use.

I can only hold myself up as an example of why no-one should sign-up with
Tiscali. What a joke.

I put it to the thread that Tiscali are sending out nonesense 'Fair Use
Policy' (FUP) warnings to many people who hardly ever use their pathetic
slow broadband service, so that once they have had their three warnings,
they can then reduce your bandwidth even more during peak times by sticking
them on the 'so called bad boy pipe'. I think that is all its about. Three
warnings and your on lower bandwidth with the other people who are suposedly
abusing the system at peak hours. Just for the record, I am one of the
people they have targetted for heavy use during peak times. The fact of it
is, I have taken every effort to ensure I don't break their rules of the
Fair Use Policy, by installing automatic bandwidth control during their FUP
hours, nevertheless they still send me a warning. I suspect they are just
sending them to everyone randomly. I know of several other light users who
have been targetted too.

Old December 12th 05, 12:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Cog

On Mon, 12 Dec 2005 09:48:19 +0000, John wrote:

[...]

I'll be honest: I don't have any real complaints about the performance of
the network. I simply don't see how they can possibly claim my usage
during peak periods is "exceptionally high". I'm using about as much
bandwidth during peak periods as I did when I used dial-up with Wannadoo:

Slashdot
Wikipedia editing
Usenet discussions

That's it. No downloads. No P2P. No streaming. Nothing. To claim that my
use is exceptional is to claim that using my connection for anything other
than checking email is verboten. I just want to warn other people that
signing up for Tiscali based on their Fair Use Policy is a mug's decision.
If you, like me, just want to browse web sites and discuss stuff on usenet
during peak hours -- forget it, you will be violating their FUP.
Old December 12th 05, 03:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

On Mon, 12 Dec 2005 04:04:09 +0000, Cog wrote:

This new warning is despite the fact that I haven't used streaming
internet radio at all. Nothing but the web and usenet (no binaries, purely
text discussions)... no downloads... nothing, during peak time,

Check your usenet software settings. I had mine (Agent) set to "Always
get complete list of servers available messages" for each newsgroup,
for a while, and because my newserver seems to hold messages for a
couple of years, I was finding that each time I'd request new headers,
for each group, it would download about 20 megs even if there were
only a few new messages!

I'm not sure how good Tiscali's news server is, but this is obviously
an easy way to use a lot more bandwidth than you would think.
Old December 12th 05, 03:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Cog

On Mon, 12 Dec 2005 15:21:35 +0000, Jon wrote:

On Mon, 12 Dec 2005 04:04:09 +0000, Cog wrote:

This new warning is despite the fact that I haven't used streaming
internet radio at all. Nothing but the web and usenet (no binaries,
purely text discussions)... no downloads... nothing, during peak time,

Check your usenet software settings. I had mine (Agent) set to "Always
get complete list of servers available messages" for each newsgroup, for
a while, and because my newserver seems to hold messages for a couple of
years, I was finding that each time I'd request new headers, for each
group, it would download about 20 megs even if there were only a few new
messages! I'm not sure how good Tiscali's news server is,

Dreadful.

but this is obviously an easy way to use a lot more bandwidth than you
would think.

No, definitely not doing that. Thanks though.
Old December 12th 05, 05:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Cog

On Mon, 12 Dec 2005 07:34:08 +0000, The Caretaker wrote:

Cog wrote:
I'm quite serious when I say that I have done nothing but web/text
usenet and haven't downloaded anything during peak time at all.
Whatever they are doing, I'm now in a situation where apparently my
only option is to not use the Internet at all during peak times... or
I'll be put on this shared pipe next month, despite being conscientious
and careful about observing their FUP. I may as well have not bothered
and just left the downloads going 24/7. So much for making the effort,
eh?

Are you using the same 'Peak Times' as they are ?

Checked. Double checked. Triple checked. Quadruple checked. It was the
first thing I thought of.

"Peak hours are from 6pm to 11pm on weekdays and 12pm until 4pm on
weekends." -- their FUP and their warning emails