www server hit by dictionary attack - suggestions?

Old December 12th 05, 03:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alex

Default www server hit by dictionary attack - suggestions?

Peter wrote:
We run a www server on an ADSL line.

It's been running a little slow lately, and the logs show a dictionary
attack going on, all the time.

snip
The logins are coming in on port 22, standard for ssh. We will change
this anyway now.

snip
Any suggestions much appreciated.

Changing the port that SSH is listening on should certainly reduce these
attacks - unless the attack is specifically targetted against your
machine (which it probably is not) - they tend to find easy targets by
just using the standard port numbers. To increase SSH security, restrict
the access by group or user name (man sshd_config for details).

alex

--
Alex Meaden
Technical Support Officer