porting phone number

Old December 12th 05, 07:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Unknown

Default porting phone number

im currently a ntl customer and looking to move to bulldog as i aint
waiting till the end of next year for ntl to eventually shift their asses
with the upgrade for 2 meg customers.

anyway i was looking to keep my current phone number and one of their
customer service lackies says it is possible but depends upon the asdl
provider.

anyone know if i can indeed port my landline over and if its specific to
certain asdl providers
Old December 12th 05, 08:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jono

Unknown wrote:
|| im currently a ntl customer and looking to move to bulldog as i aint
|| waiting till the end of next year for ntl to eventually shift their
|| asses with the upgrade for 2 meg customers.
|| anyway i was looking to keep my current phone number and one of their
|| customer service lackies says it is possible but depends upon the asdl
|| provider.
|| anyone know if i can indeed port my landline over and if its specific
|| to certain asdl providers

It should be entirely possible to port your NTL number, it has nothing to do
with any ADSL provider.

What does have a bearing is whether or not you can expect your chosen ADSL
provider to arrange a simultaneous provision of broadband & phone line.

I would suggest that you check your address is able to support ADSL, apply
for a BT line, with a number port & make sure they are aware you will be
adding broadband to the line & that they add notes to your order to that
effect.

When the line is working with your NTL number, apply for broadband.

BT seem to be able to cope with simultaneous line & broadband orders if they
are the ISP.

Old December 12th 05, 09:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Unknown

On Mon, 12 Dec 2005 19:23:40 +0000, Jono wrote:

Unknown wrote:
|| im currently a ntl customer and looking to move to bulldog as i aint
|| waiting till the end of next year for ntl to eventually shift their
|| asses with the upgrade for 2 meg customers.
|| anyway i was looking to keep my current phone number and one of their
|| customer service lackies says it is possible but depends upon the asdl
|| provider.
|| anyone know if i can indeed port my landline over and if its specific
|| to certain asdl providers

It should be entirely possible to port your NTL number, it has nothing to do
with any ADSL provider.

What does have a bearing is whether or not you can expect your chosen ADSL
provider to arrange a simultaneous provision of broadband & phone line.

I would suggest that you check your address is able to support ADSL, apply
for a BT line, with a number port & make sure they are aware you will be
adding broadband to the line & that they add notes to your order to that
effect.

When the line is working with your NTL number, apply for broadband.

BT seem to be able to cope with simultaneous line & broadband orders if they
are the ISP.

im not getting a bt line im going for a local loop unbundeled one, not
sure if that makes a difference, my plan was always to sign up and get it
all sorted then swap over so it seem the way to do it,
Old December 12th 05, 11:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Derek

At the moment you will not be able to port your number from ntl to Bulldog
through their automated booking system as it will not recognise the number
and your booking will be routed through a postcode availability check to get
it on the system. Ntl do not currently allow their own assigned numbers out
of their own system to Bulldog so you cannot take it to them. Unless your
number was originally a bt number that was transferred into ntl you cannot
move it out again. Yes I know its stupid but they got allocated special
blocks of numbers when they first set up as an independent telecoms provider
and until the powers that be force them to allow freedom of transfer they
wont allow those original numbers out of their loop. They will happily
assign bt numbers on to their system but not the other way round even though
the rules have changed. It is going to happen, just not quite yet.
news

Old December 12th 05, 11:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kraftee

Derek wrote:
[...]

Sorry to disagree but NTL do allow the port of their numbers to BT, the
problem is to keep them ported as they do have a habit of trying to grab
them back..

Old December 12th 05, 11:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kraftee

Unknown wrote:

im not getting a bt line im going for a local loop unbundeled one, not
sure if that makes a difference, my plan was always to sign up and
get it all sorted then swap over so it seem the way to do it,

If I'm reading it correctly, you will be allocated a number when you
sign up & as I understand it you will not be able to port a number
change afterwards

Old December 13th 05, 11:30 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jonathan Sklan-Willis

"Unknown" wrote in message
news
im currently a ntl customer and looking to move to bulldog as i aint
waiting till the end of next year for ntl to eventually shift their asses
with the upgrade for 2 meg customers.

anyway i was looking to keep my current phone number and one of their
customer service lackies says it is possible but depends upon the asdl
provider.

anyone know if i can indeed port my landline over and if its specific to
certain asdl providers

It does not depend on the ADSL. Numbers can be ported. The problem is from
what I have heard about Bulldog support, it is not very reliable. I suggest
you port over to BT, without asking for broadband, as they have messed up
with everybody I know when trying to put Broadband into the order. Then port
over to Bulldog. If you want their 8meg offer, check it will work in your
area, like for a neighbors line first - otherwise you will be screwed.

Old December 13th 05, 11:40 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jono

"Jonathan Sklan-Willis" wrote in message

"Unknown" wrote in message
news
[...]

................but if Bulldog don't have a porting agreement with NTL, it
could still fall over.

Old December 13th 05, 02:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tim Clark

In article ,
"Kraftee" please we're bristish.com writes:
Derek wrote:
At the moment you will not be able to port your number from ntl to
Bulldog through their automated booking system as it will not
recognise the number and your booking will be routed through a
postcode availability check to get it on the system. Ntl do not
currently allow their own assigned numbers out of their own system to
Bulldog so you cannot take it to them. Unless your number was
originally a bt number that was transferred into ntl you cannot move
it out again.

Sorry to disagree but NTL do allow the port of their numbers to BT, the
problem is to keep them ported as they do have a habit of trying to grab
them back..

Of course NTL only allow the porting because they're forced to by
General Condition 18 ("Number Portability") set by Ofcom under Section
48(1) of the Communications Act 2003. The condition doesn't seem to
mention underhand tricks such operators might use to get the numbers
back :-)

http://www.ofcom.org.uk/telecoms/ioi.../section48.pdf

Under that condition, NTL would have to allow porting of the number to
Bulldog, if Bulldog requested it. And that's the crunch point. Since
Bulldog are not forced to take your business, if they don't want to
port the NTL number in, they'll always have a way of refusing. As is
common practice today, they'll no doubt always put the blame on someone
else.

--
Tim Clark