weird adsl behaviour

Old December 13th 05, 08:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
neal

Default weird adsl behaviour

Hi everyone,

Hope someone can help me with this.

I am currently using a speedtouch 330 free modem (from
Virgin Broadband). It is working fine. I use Mandriva
Linux.

I have tried to get myself a router/modem on three
occasions, a Netgear DG834, then a D-Link DSL-504T and now
a Netgear DG632, all wired versions. The problem is that
none of the router/modems will detect that there is an adsl
line to my bt socket. I've done all the obvious things with
filters/leads and the result is always none of the
router/modems will detect an adsl signal, so the status
light just flashes orange continuously. Yet the speedtouch
works fine.

Am I correct in thinking that it doesn't matter if the
router/modem is connected to the computer/nic or not in
order to detect the adsl signal?

Could I really have just been unfortunate and had three duff
routers? ( I am not able to get the DG632 checked on
another adsl line)

Could it have anything to do with the adsl signal?

Any ideas *please*.

neal.
Old December 13th 05, 08:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ivor Jones

"neal" wrote in message

Hi everyone,

Hope someone can help me with this.

I am currently using a speedtouch 330 free modem (from
Virgin Broadband). It is working fine. I use Mandriva
Linux.

I have tried to get myself a router/modem on three
occasions, a Netgear DG834, then a D-Link DSL-504T and now
a Netgear DG632, all wired versions. The problem is that
none of the router/modems will detect that there is an
adsl line to my bt socket. I've done all the obvious
things with filters/leads and the result is always none
of the router/modems will detect an adsl signal, so the
status light just flashes orange continuously. Yet the
speedtouch works fine.

Am I correct in thinking that it doesn't matter if the
router/modem is connected to the computer/nic or not in
order to detect the adsl signal?

You did configure the router with your ISP details first, yes..? Once the
router has your account details it doesn't require a PC to operate, but
you have to tell it who you are first, it won't work straight out of the
box.

Ivor

Old December 13th 05, 08:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiscali Tim

neal wrote:

[...]

Do you mean that it won't connect to your ADSL account, or that it won't
even synch on the line? As others have said, it needs to be configured with
your account details before it will log on - but it should synch without
that.

Have you got an NTE5 master socket, with a removeable faceplate? If so, try
removing the faceplate, and plugging the router into the test socket* which
is visible with the faceplate out. This will disconnect any extension
wiring, and thus eliminate any funnies associated with that. If it then
works, it means that your extension wiring is interfering with the ADSL
signal. [Some devices are fussier than others - maybe your current modem
*isn't* very fussy]. If this doesn't work, it sounds as if all your
routers - or maybe their power supplies** - are duff.

* this is a BT-type socket so you'll either need a BT to RJ11 cable, or a pl
ug-in micro-filter plus RJ11 to RJ11 cable to connect to the router

** Some switch mode power supplies provided with certain routers are
notorious for generating sufficieint electrical noise to prevent the router
from synching on some lines. My 3Com router will only work on my line when
powered by a 3rd party conventional power supply
--
Cheers,
Tim

Old December 13th 05, 09:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
neal

Ivor Jones wrote:

You did configure the router with your ISP details first,
yes..? Once the router has your account details it doesn't
require a PC to operate, but you have to tell it who you
are first, it won't work straight out of the box.

Ivor

Sorry Ivor, I didn't make clear the problem. The
router/modem will not detect a connection to an adsl line.
(thats what I meant by not detect adsl signal) and yet
there is one there which works fine with the speedtouch
330.

??

neal.
Old December 13th 05, 09:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
neal

Tiscali Tim wrote:

Do you mean that it won't connect to your ADSL account, or
that it won't even synch on the line?

It won't sink on the line. It cannot detect a line there.

As others have said,
it needs to be configured with your account details before
it will log on -
but it should synch without that.

thankyou for confirming that.

Have you got an NTE5 master socket, with a removeable
faceplate? If so, try removing the faceplate, and plugging
the router into the test socket* which is visible with the
faceplate out. This will disconnect any extension wiring,
and thus eliminate any funnies associated with that. If it
then works, it means that your extension wiring is
interfering with the ADSL signal. [Some devices are
fussier than others - maybe your current modem isn't very
fussy]. If this doesn't work, it sounds as if all your
routers - or maybe their power supplies** - are duff.

* this is a BT-type socket so you'll either need a BT to
RJ11 cable, or a pl ug-in micro-filter plus RJ11 to RJ11
cable to connect to the router

Yes, I have done all that, but the following looks
interesting.

** Some switch mode power supplies provided with certain
routers are notorious for generating sufficieint
electrical noise to prevent the router from synching on
some lines. My 3Com router will only work on my line when
powered by a 3rd party conventional power supply Cheers,
Tim

do you know of any reports on Netgear with this problem?

thanks
neal.

Old December 13th 05, 09:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ivor Jones

"neal" wrote in message

Ivor Jones wrote:

You did configure the router with your ISP details
first, yes..? Once the router has your account details
it doesn't require a PC to operate, but you have to
tell it who you are first, it won't work straight out
of the box.

Ivor

Sorry Ivor, I didn't make clear the problem. The
router/modem will not detect a connection to an adsl line.
(thats what I meant by not detect adsl signal) and yet
there is one there which works fine with the speedtouch
330.

You still have to configure the router with your account details before it
will attempt to do so, have you done this..?

Ivor

Old December 13th 05, 10:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kraftee

neal wrote:
Tiscali Tim wrote:

[...]

Nope but it has been known for DSLAM cards to have compatability
problems with certain makes/models of routers/modem

Old December 13th 05, 10:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
neal

Ivor Jones wrote:

You still have to configure the router with your account
details before it will attempt to do so, have you done
this..?

Ivor

Don't agree with this. The instructions say to verify that
"the ADSL link light is solid green indicating a link has
been established to the ADSL network" and then go and setup
the account and login. I know I cannot go any further as
there is nothing to talk to, no line detected.

All three router modems I've tried have all failed to do
this, even though they have all worked fine as routers,
i.e. I can log in and ping me nic etc, they never find an
ADSL line.

thanks anyway,
neal.
Old December 13th 05, 11:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Clint Sharp

In message , neal
writes
Am I correct in thinking that it doesn't matter if the
router/modem is connected to the computer/nic or not in
order to detect the adsl signal?

Correct.

Could I really have just been unfortunate and had three duff
routers? ( I am not able to get the DG632 checked on
another adsl line)

Highly unlikely, did you actually unplug the speedtouch from the line
before you plugged in the router?

Could it have anything to do with the adsl signal?

Wouldn't have thought so if the speedtouch works.

Any ideas *please*.

neal.

--
Clint Sharp
Old December 14th 05, 12:01 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
neal

Clint Sharp wrote:

In message ,
neal writes
Am I correct in thinking that it doesn't matter if the
router/modem is connected to the computer/nic or not in
order to detect the adsl signal?

Correct.

Thankyou.

Could I really have just been unfortunate and had three
duff routers? ( I am not able to get the DG632 checked on
another adsl line)

Highly unlikely, did you actually unplug the speedtouch
from the line before you plugged in the router?

Duh!

Yes, I did all the obvious things.

Could it have anything to do with the adsl signal?

Wouldn't have thought so if the speedtouch works.

Ah, 'thought', tricky fella that.

I need a definite yes or no to sort this out.

thanks
neal.