Inbuilt wireless cards

Old December 13th 05, 09:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Robert Hill

Default Inbuilt wireless cards

Why is it I can never configure inbuilt wirelss cards to operate on an
broadband wireless network...or hardly ever? I've got a 2yr old lap top with
a prism inbuilt card 11g, which doesn't find the network at home, so I got a
linksys, and then a bt voyager pcmia card both of which linked up ok. Then,
recently a media center with another in built card which finally found the
network after ages and tinkering around, but the belkin usb card I added
later connected speedily.
At work I have a BT Voyager wireless network which came with an internal
card plus aerial for another pc, hooked up within 10 mins. Brought laptop in
from home with bt card, and this found the network within seconds.
We get a cheap dell laptop with inbuilt dell inspiron card which will not
connect to the network, whatever, either using dell or windows to manage the
connection, auto settings etc. I then thought about using the external bt
pcmiacard in the dell, but it won't fit, as it goes half way in,but there's
a plastic bit stopping it - the dell plastic slot card has the piece cut out
to enable it to fit in - so have cards changed?? I've tried all manner of
settings to no avail, I got the dell to pop up with the announcement that
one or more networks have been found, click here to view... but doing that
stops the connection.
I'm very computer savvy but these inbuilt cards are not easy to get going,
methinks.

Old December 14th 05, 01:20 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
cw

Are you using whatever connectivity software comes with the drivers or the
windows wireless zero config? May there's some confusion between the two?
I had a series of identical cards and on some computers they wouldn't work
with the wireless zero, others they would only work with the wireless zero.

Also assuming there's no conflicting networks/wireless devices buggering
about.

--
Colin
Old December 14th 05, 01:20 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter R Cook

In message , Robert Hill
writes
[...]

Have you tried using the latest Intel drivers, I assume the inbuilt
devices use the Intel Centrino wireless chipset. The latest Intel
drivers certainly seem more reliable than the ones that ship with
windows XP.

--
Peter R Cook
Old December 14th 05, 11:35 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Belperite delurked

Peter R Cook wrote:
In message , Robert Hill
writes

[...]

Is it the Intel 2200BG chipset by any chance? Try installing the latest drivers
from the Intel site as suggested above, also there are various comments in
forums saying that setting the access point to either b or g only, helps
sometimes. GIYF!

Rich