Router software question?

Old December 14th 05, 10:54 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul Woodsford

Default Router software question?

Does anyone know of any software that can schedule a reboot of an ADSL
router/modem, in particular a Netgear DG834.

--
Paul Woodsford
Remove NOSPAM to reply.

Old December 14th 05, 11:55 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
ABC

"Paul Woodsford" wrote in message
Does anyone know of any software that can schedule a reboot of an ADSL
router/modem, in particular a Netgear DG834.

--
Paul Woodsford
Remove NOSPAM to reply.

First thing to do is to update the firmware on the router. Sometimes this
can cure problems.
Second. The only thing I can think of that could reboot a router is to use a
macro script prog (macroscheduler is a good app), which will run through a
set of instructions on a PC and do whatever you program it to do.
Another way is to use a digital timer on the mains, set to power off for 1
minute.

Old December 14th 05, 01:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul Woodsford

Thanks ABC,
I have the latest firmware and as the router had been up and running for 3
months just thought an automatic reboot would ensure tip top connection.
The timer is a good idea.

--
Paul Woodsford
Remove NOSPAM to reply.

Old December 14th 05, 02:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiscali Tim

Paul Woodsford wrote:

Thanks ABC,
I have the latest firmware and as the router had been up and running
for 3 months just thought an automatic reboot would ensure tip top
connection. The timer is a good idea.

Or how about a programmable robot to press the reset button? g

Are you sure that you're not just looking for problems which don't exist?
--
Cheers,
Tim

Old December 14th 05, 02:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Richard Tobin

In article ,
Paul Woodsford [email protected] SPAMvirgin.net wrote:
Does anyone know of any software that can schedule a reboot of an ADSL
router/modem, in particular a Netgear DG834.

If the router has a web interface, and can be rebooted from that
interface, you could could use a generic web-page fetching program to
do it. You would have to embed the router password in the script,
which might be a security issue.

-- Richard
Old December 14th 05, 03:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
It's Me

If it is not broke don't fix it !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Go into the configuration menu and there is a place to do a manual reboot.

Turning on and off at mains could break it one day.

/http://192.168.0.1/Maintenance/Diagnostics/Reboot the Router

Old December 14th 05, 05:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kraftee

ABC wrote:
"Paul Woodsford" wrote in message
Does anyone know of any software that can schedule a reboot of an
ADSL router/modem, in particular a Netgear DG834.

--
Paul Woodsford
Remove NOSPAM to reply.

First thing to do is to update the firmware on the router. Sometimes
this can cure problems.
Second. The only thing I can think of that could reboot a router is
to use a macro script prog (macroscheduler is a good app), which will
run through a set of instructions on a PC and do whatever you program
it to do. Another way is to use a digital timer on the mains, set to
power off
for 1 minute.

Yep that worksm, I used to do that when I was running a D-Link DSL604T,
which usewd to lock after up every 36 hours or so, so I used to force a
reboot every 24. It was an in-elegant way to get around the problem but
at least it worked...

Old December 14th 05, 06:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kraftee

Paul Woodsford wrote:
Thanks ABC,
I have the latest firmware and as the router had been up and running
for 3 months just thought an automatic reboot would ensure tip top
connection. The timer is a good idea.

If you're not experiencing any problems, don't do anything to it at all.
You will change nothing for the better by causing the router to reboot &
there is a slight possibility that you may cause the router to go faulty
(in the long term)..

No problems, then don't fix what ain't broke....

Old December 14th 05, 07:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul Woodsford

Ok, Ok I get the message. Leave well alone.
Anyway thanks for all the replies.

--
Paul Woodsford
Remove NOSPAM to reply.