Reliable ADSL ISP with a fixed IP - current suggestions?

Old December 14th 05, 04:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
keymaster

Default Reliable ADSL ISP with a fixed IP - current suggestions?

"Peter" wrote in message
Hi,

I have a small business which has its own www/email server running on
a 256/512 ADSL. The usage is very light.

We also have a backup server at another location (a private house) so
if the above connection failed we just have to change the DNS settings
to point the nameservers to the backup server.

Currently we use Clara for the business connection, and Zen for the
second (backup) one.

Clara are awful, with useless customer service and useless tech
support. Their uptime is OK though; I have to switch the ADSL modem
off/on perhaps a few times a year and Clara tend to have an answering
machine on their business tech supp # telling people to do that...

I want to move to another ISP but I don't want to go to Zen (who have
been really excellent in every way) because one should never have the
main and the backup server on the same ISP, for obvious reasons.

We just need a basic ADSL service, with no webspace, no pop/smtp, no
webmail, no dial-in (I suppose ISDN dial-in might be a plus; we have a
ISDN-fallback router) and one fixed IP with the possibility of getting
a 2nd one later (for a https shopping trolley). It's not even
necessary to keep the old phone # because it's a throwaway ADSL-only
line.

There are the obvious names like Plusnet but people I know who are
with them are always moaning about their dickhead customer service
staff, etc.

Any suggestions really appreciated.

Hi
I am with plusnet but dont feel able to recommend them at present (referals
or no referals) Newnet look good and offer lite useage for about 12 per
month - failing that have a look at Vispa - both considerably outperform
plusnet on everything on ADSLGUIDE comparison tool
hope this helps
Roy