A extra fiver a month for ADSL?

Old December 14th 05, 07:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
James

Default A extra fiver a month for ADSL?

"MinusNet" wrote in message
reenews.net...

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/12...etention_vote/

"The European Parliament has approved proposals on data retention that
would compel telecom firms to keep customer email logs, details of
internet usage and phone call records for between six months to two
years.
The amounts involved are not small. ISPA cites estimates from one large
UK-based ISP that it would cost 26m a year to set up data retention kit
on its systems and 9m a year in running costs to service law
enforcement requests."

Isn't 36m around 25% of pussnet's current profit?

Plusnet have already said:

"I'm not convinced that this will impact things significantly at all TBH.
The BBC article remains a little vague and only seems to imply that we
keep records based on...

# details of connections made to the Internet
# details, but not the content, of internet e-mail and internet
telephony services

Well our Radius servers contain information about the former (and can be
historically viewed by the support centre using a reporting tool
already), and mail and PlusTalk logs are also obtainable to a certain
degree. What isn't implicitly stated is what the 'details' are
concerning the latter point.

We already disclose information to certain authorities on request so
this doesn't warrant a significant change for us as far as I can see."

Old December 14th 05, 09:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

On 14-Dec-2005, "James" wrote:

"The European Parliament has approved proposals on data retention that
would compel telecom firms to keep customer email logs, details of
internet usage and phone call records for between six months to two
years.

I thought wireless roaming, over unsecured networks, and using Blowfish with
strong keys to encrypt data, would defeat this form of snooping, particularly
as you can bury stuff inside jpg's.
Call box to call box is also good, and the paranoid can dig out the modern
counterparts of acoustic couplers, mind you the old ModTech and Anderson
ones with a battery pack are probably ok. Perhaps I should put my old AC's
on eBay.
Then there is the "one job" unregistered PAYG mobile fraternity.