Which non-wireless router? Telewest cable - connecting two PCs

Old December 14th 05, 07:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kraftee

Default Which non-wireless router? Telewest cable - connecting two PCs

LostInFrance wrote:
Slightly different question to the bloke on the other thread...

I've got one desktop and one laptop and a Telewest cable connection
via a Scientific-Atlanta WebStar cable modem. Both computers have
ethernet ports.

Now I want a cable router.

I particularly want a router that does NOT have a wireless connection
or, failing that, a wireless connection that can be easily (and
definitely) disabled. The router must also be very easy to set up.

So, what's the simplest non-wireless router, please?

Netgear DG834 should fit the bill as the wizard will do everything for
you. The G & GT versions do have wireless but it is very simple to turn
them off...

Old December 14th 05, 07:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kraftee

Kraftee wrote:
LostInFrance wrote:
Slightly different question to the bloke on the other thread...

I've got one desktop and one laptop and a Telewest cable connection
via a Scientific-Atlanta WebStar cable modem. Both computers have
ethernet ports.

Now I want a cable router.

I particularly want a router that does NOT have a wireless connection
or, failing that, a wireless connection that can be easily (and
definitely) disabled. The router must also be very easy to set up.

So, what's the simplest non-wireless router, please?

Netgear DG834 should fit the bill as the wizard will do everything for
you. The G & GT versions do have wireless but it is very simple to
turn them off...

Whoops missed the part about it being cable, sorry, but you wont go far
wrong with the appropiate Netgear router, I oroiginally started with an
RT314 that was as sweet as a nut & I only upgraded to a 318 because I
wanted the extra ports. The one thing about most Netgear equipment is
that they are easy to set up & get working & then you play with various
setting if & when you wish to...

Old December 14th 05, 09:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Adrian

LostInFrance wrote:
"Kraftee" please we're bristish.com
wrote:

Kraftee wrote:
LostInFrance wrote:
[...]

Thank you for your help. Perhaps you'll help with an additional
problem that I've just found out about. A third computer, a laptop,
also needs adding. This machine doesn't have a network card built-in
but it does have a USB port. Is it possible to make this access the
same router as the other two? If not, can it still get on the net via
one of the other computers?

You can buy a USB to Ethernet adaptor, for example
http://www.dabs.com/productview.aspx...ionKe y=11030

Alternatively if your laptop has a pcmcia slot, something like
http://www.dabs.com/productview.aspx...avigationKey=0

Old December 15th 05, 12:31 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kraftee

LostInFrance wrote:
What leads do I need to buy to set this lot up?

Assume pcmcia-to-network adaptor and two PCs with their own network
adaptors all running into a router that's attached to a cable modem.
I've presently got one PC attached directly to the cable modem.

If the PCMIA card comes with a lead you'll need 3 if it doesn't you'll
need 4 patch leads, not crossover.