Wireless Router on Blueyonder

Old December 14th 05, 08:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bumble Bee Boy 2

Default Wireless Router on Blueyonder

Hi,

My girlfriend has recently signed up to Blueyonder cable broadband and she
got a router (Linksys Wireless-g Adsl2+ Modem Router) so she could share the
connection, as Blueyonder told her she could. However we have been having a
nightmare trying to get it all to work, we've consulted a few online guides
but are having no luck. She has tried calling their customer support, but
the guy got a few steps in then said "oh you've got the wrong type of
router, I can't help you" and that was that. Can anyone point me in the
direction of a good guide to setting this up? We have no idea what settings
to add to the router's config or even if we have got the wrong type of
router or not??

TIA,

Simon

Old December 14th 05, 09:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
sheba

"Bumble Bee Boy 2" wrote in message
Hi,

My girlfriend has recently signed up to Blueyonder cable broadband and she
got a router (Linksys Wireless-g Adsl2+ Modem Router) so she could share
the connection, as Blueyonder told her she could. However we have been
having a nightmare trying to get it all to work, we've consulted a few
online guides but are having no luck. She has tried calling their customer
support, but the guy got a few steps in then said "oh you've got the wrong
type of router, I can't help you" and that was that. Can anyone point me
in the direction of a good guide to setting this up? We have no idea what
settings to add to the router's config or even if we have got the wrong
type of router or not??

TIA,

Simon

Either she didn't explain what she wanted in the shop or on the phone, or
they didn't understand her. ADSL is usually associated with broadband that
comes down a phoneline.
The guide to setting up is actually in the box with the router, you need to
folow it as it's not just a case of plugging it in and making it work.
First go and get the correct equipment, then read the book, then contact the
ISP.

Old December 14th 05, 10:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gizmo

"Bumble Bee Boy 2" wrote in message
Hi,

My girlfriend has recently signed up to Blueyonder cable broadband and she
got a router (Linksys Wireless-g Adsl2+ Modem Router) so she could share
the connection, as Blueyonder told her she could. However we have been
having a nightmare trying to get it all to work, we've consulted a few
online guides but are having no luck. She has tried calling their customer
support, but the guy got a few steps in then said "oh you've got the wrong
type of router, I can't help you" and that was that. Can anyone point me
in the direction of a good guide to setting this up? We have no idea what
settings to add to the router's config or even if we have got the wrong
type of router or not??

I should try a wireless cable router ;o)
Something like:
(Chosen for no apparent reason - was just the first that came up)

Old December 15th 05, 12:42 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bumble Bee Boy 2

"Gizmo" wrote in message

I should try a wireless cable router ;o)
Something like:
(Chosen for no apparent reason - was just the first that came up)

Was thinking along the same lines, is it possible to use the cable modem as
a shared resource, by plugging it into one of the ethernet ports on the
router, setting up the network that way and ignoring the ADSL stuff? Or is
it best just to return the router and get another? : )

Si

Old December 15th 05, 12:54 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark McIntyre

On Wed, 14 Dec 2005 23:42:12 -0000, in uk.telecom.broadband , "Bumble
Bee Boy 2" wrote:

Was thinking along the same lines, is it possible to use the cable modem as
a shared resource, by plugging it into one of the ethernet ports on the
router, setting up the network that way and ignoring the ADSL stuff?

No.

The ISP only provides one IP address, you need one per PC you have
connected. If you plug the modem into a LAN port, and more than one PC
into the other LAN ports, they'll not be able to consistently access
the net as they'll be trying to share the same IP and thats
impossible.

It'd be like trying to watch two channels at once on the telly - you
need special hardware to do it, you can't tune to two different
channels at once without it.

In this case, a router. A routert routes traffic from the single IP
address your ISP provides to the multiple addresses on your internal
network. So the modem goes into the WAN port, traffic is routed by teh
router s/w to the LAN ports.

Buy the right stuff. If you screwed up first time, tough.
Old December 15th 05, 01:09 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bumble Bee Boy 2

"Mark McIntyre" wrote in message
No.

The ISP only provides one IP address, you need one per PC you have
connected. If you plug the modem into a LAN port, and more than one PC
into the other LAN ports, they'll not be able to consistently access
the net as they'll be trying to share the same IP and thats
impossible.

It'd be like trying to watch two channels at once on the telly - you
need special hardware to do it, you can't tune to two different
channels at once without it.

In this case, a router. A routert routes traffic from the single IP
address your ISP provides to the multiple addresses on your internal
network. So the modem goes into the WAN port, traffic is routed by teh
router s/w to the LAN ports.

Cheers.

Buy the right stuff. If you screwed up first time, tough.

Erm, charming. Unfortunately I wasn't aware she was going for cable
broadband... But thanks anyway.

Si

Old December 15th 05, 11:12 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gizmo

"Gizmo" wrote in message

I should try a wireless cable router ;o)
Something like:
(Chosen for no apparent reason - was just the first that came up)

Was thinking along the same lines, is it possible to use the cable modem
as a shared resource, by plugging it into one of the ethernet ports on the
router, setting up the network that way and ignoring the ADSL stuff?

You could do it that way, although it'd be unnecessary

Or is it best just to return the router and get another? : )

I'd definately go for that option ;o)

Old December 15th 05, 11:13 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gizmo

"Bumble Bee Boy 2" wrote in message
"Mark McIntyre" wrote in message

Buy the right stuff. If you screwed up first time, tough.

Erm, charming. Unfortunately I wasn't aware she was going for cable
broadband... But thanks anyway.

Ignore Mark. He's just one of those ****wits that's unfortunately been
granted 'net access.

Old December 15th 05, 03:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark McIntyre

On Thu, 15 Dec 2005 00:09:52 -0000, in uk.telecom.broadband , "Bumble
Bee Boy 2" wrote:

"Mark McIntyre" wrote in message
.. .

Buy the right stuff. If you screwed up first time, tough.

Erm, charming. Unfortunately I wasn't aware she was going for cable
broadband... But thanks anyway.

Sorry, didn't mean to be quite so abrupt!
Old December 15th 05, 03:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark McIntyre

On Thu, 15 Dec 2005 10:13:49 -0000, in uk.telecom.broadband , "Gizmo"
wrote:

"Bumble Bee Boy 2" wrote in message
"Mark McIntyre" wrote in message

Buy the right stuff. If you screwed up first time, tough.

Erm, charming. Unfortunately I wasn't aware she was going for cable
broadband... But thanks anyway.

Ignore Mark. He's just one of those ****wits that's unfortunately been
granted 'net access.

So tell me, smart arse, which bit of what I said was incorrect? When
you're through throwing your toys out of the pram about being caught
out in another thread, that is.