ntl to uncap its 1Mbps and 2Mbps services

Old December 15th 05, 07:46 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Decker

Default ntl to uncap its 1Mbps and 2Mbps services

http://www.adslguide.org.uk/newsarchive.asp?item=2490
http://tinyurl.com/a7gko

"It would appear that ntl are to drop the usage allowances from its 1Mbps
and 2Mbps products in January 2006, making those services unlimited again.
We assume no change to the cap on the 10Mbps product which is 75GB per
month."

Old December 15th 05, 02:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Yddap

In ,
Decker opined very noisily:
http://www.adslguide.org.uk/newsarchive.asp?item=2490
http://tinyurl.com/a7gko

"It would appear that ntl are to drop the usage allowances from its
1Mbps and 2Mbps products in January 2006, making those services
unlimited again. We assume no change to the cap on the 10Mbps product
which is 75GB per month."

First positive outcome of the NTL / TW amalgamation ?
--

Yddap
Remove guts to reply

Old December 15th 05, 08:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gutz

The NTL/Telewest 'amalgamation' hasnt even been finalised yet and when it
will be, the only inital impact will be ntl signing up customers in telewest
areas.

Its more a case of bulldog is offering 8mb uncapped for 14.99 or something
silly like that.

"Yddap" wrote in message
k...
In ,
Decker opined very noisily:

Old December 16th 05, 01:12 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark McIntyre

On Thu, 15 Dec 2005 23:38:53 -0000, in uk.telecom.broadband , "Daniel"
wrote:

If the 1Mb and 2Mb connections are uncapped what is the point of paying a
higher price for the 10Mb with 75GB cap?

Er... You want faster downloads?

75GB is a ... of a lot of data per month. Heck, your hard disk is
probably only 200GB.
Old December 16th 05, 11:20 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steve

wrote:

If the 1Mb and 2Mb connections are uncapped what is the point of paying
a higher price for the 10Mb with 75GB cap?

Er... You want faster downloads?
75GB is a ... of a lot of data per month. Heck, your hard disk is
probably only 200GB.

Linux Distros mate!

I'm on NTL 10mb for home and ADSL 1mb for business, most I've ever done
on the ADSL was 13gb, no idea in NTL cos they don't even have a way of
metering yet so far as I know. I reckon I possibly do 20gb or so thanks
to uknova!

Agree about the disks, if I pulled down 75gb a mo I'd need a new fw
disk every few months, especially cos I'm too lazy to put stuff on
DVDR....

Steve

Old December 16th 05, 07:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gutz

news:2005121610200475249%[email protected]
On 2005-12-16 00:12:30 +0000, Mark McIntyre

wrote:

If the 1Mb and 2Mb connections are uncapped what is the point of paying
a higher price for the 10Mb with 75GB cap?

Er... You want faster downloads?
75GB is a ... of a lot of data per month. Heck, your hard disk is
probably only 200GB.

Linux Distros mate!

I'm on NTL 10mb for home and ADSL 1mb for business, most I've ever done on
the ADSL was 13gb, no idea in NTL cos they don't even have a way of
metering yet so far as I know.

That's a rumour that developed because the techies dont always act on the
information. They havent developed a customer control panel to monitor usage
but if you max it right out you'll be red flagged and forced onto unlimitted
512k (17.99/mo).

Old December 16th 05, 10:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

On 16 Dec 2005 10:20, Steve wrote:

most I've ever done on the ADSL was 13gb,

Then me downloading around 6 GB on Monday (perhaps one of the higher levels on
one day) would perhaps shock you. No, not using peer-to-peer, and not even on
usenet binaries, just streaming audio and video services... not storing at all
Old December 17th 05, 12:37 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark McIntyre

On Fri, 16 Dec 2005 21:04:28 +0000, in uk.telecom.broadband , Peter M
wrote:

On 16 Dec 2005 10:20, Steve wrote:

most I've ever done on the ADSL was 13gb,

Then me downloading around 6 GB on Monday (perhaps one of the higher levels on
one day) would perhaps shock you. No, not using peer-to-peer, and not even on
usenet binaries, just streaming audio and video services... not storing at all

You need to get out more. Seriously.

Old December 17th 05, 09:00 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
7

On 2005-12-16 00:12:30 +0000, Mark McIntyre

wrote:

If the 1Mb and 2Mb connections are uncapped what is the point of paying
a higher price for the 10Mb with 75GB cap?

Er... You want faster downloads?
75GB is a ... of a lot of data per month. Heck, your hard disk is
probably only 200GB.

Linux Distros mate!

I'm on NTL 10mb for home and ADSL 1mb for business, most I've ever done
on the ADSL was 13gb, no idea in NTL cos they don't even have a way of
metering yet so far as I know. I reckon I possibly do 20gb or so thanks
to uknova!

Agree about the disks, if I pulled down 75gb a mo I'd need a new fw
disk every few months, especially cos I'm too lazy to put stuff on
DVDR....

Steve

Thats assuming there is an obsessive need to keep
copies of everything. Some 10,000+ internet radio
stations, podcasts, videocasts and soon internet TV stations
don't fit that.

Just keeping up with liveCDs will keep you battened down
hundreds available free
http://www.livecdlist.com
A number of these are 2-3 Gbyte and no doubt
others will follow. Burning to CD/DVD is not a requirement
on many of these to evaluatate! Also a new release could become
available before you had a chance to evaluate existing release!

Old December 17th 05, 12:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

wrote:

If the 1Mb and 2Mb connections are uncapped what is the point of paying a
higher price for the 10Mb with 75GB cap?

Er... You want faster downloads?

75GB is a ... of a lot of data per month. Heck, your hard disk is
probably only 200GB.

2Mb/s can give 20GB/day. You can burn 5 GB/s in 20 minutes at x4, with
x8/x16 that's even quicker - not much hassle is it. That's if people
want to do it - not saying they should - but it's their choice - as I
see it, I have more of an issue with businesses spamming us and trying
to sell us stuff with constant advertising - if they want to advertise
products and services (music/video demo's, multimedia clips, product
promo's, etc) - they should be paying the public for the BB
connection. Not the end user.