Auto-recconect not working properly using ADSL modem on XP SP2

Old December 16th 05, 09:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Default Auto-recconect not working properly using ADSL modem on XP SP2

Hi,

Got a reliable 2Mb ADSL connection on XP SP2 using an Alcatel Modem to
Zen ISP (previously with BT).

I can have a connection to Zen for maybe 7 days, but then the
connection will drop and my system reconnect. This may not be Zen but
BT somewhere along the system chain.

Thing is - although my PC reconnects and the system tray icon says
'connection to Zen at 2M/s', there appears to be no socket i.e

no web, ping, tracerout, etc - logging off will not help, I have to
reboot and all is fine. If I manually disconect of logoff and back on
and then connect, all works perfectly - it's only if there is a
disconnect for some other reason.

So, any thoughts on what I can tweak to auto-reconnect and actually
have a proper connection?

Many thanks.

Old December 17th 05, 12:51 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark McIntyre

On Fri, 16 Dec 2005 20:57:15 +0000, in uk.telecom.broadband ,
wrote:

I can have a connection to Zen for maybe 7 days, but then the
connection will drop and my system reconnect. This may not be Zen but
BT somewhere along the system chain.

Power saving settings enabled on your USB drivers, modem, etc ?
Old December 17th 05, 01:13 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

On Fri, 16 Dec 2005 23:15:57 -0000, "Kraftee"
please we're bristish.com wrote:

wrote:
Hi,

Got a reliable 2Mb ADSL connection on XP SP2 using an Alcatel Modem to
Zen ISP (previously with BT).

I can have a connection to Zen for maybe 7 days, but then the
connection will drop and my system reconnect. This may not be Zen but
BT somewhere along the system chain.

Thing is - although my PC reconnects and the system tray icon says
'connection to Zen at 2M/s', there appears to be no socket i.e

no web, ping, tracerout, etc - logging off will not help, I have to
reboot and all is fine. If I manually disconect of logoff and back on
and then connect, all works perfectly - it's only if there is a
disconnect for some other reason.

So, any thoughts on what I can tweak to auto-reconnect and actually
have a proper connection?

Many thanks.

Only fool proof way I know is to get a router, sorry. USB modems
sometimes loose/forget part of their set up if the connection drops &
need to be re initialised. You do this when you reboot, the other way
which may, or may not work, is to unplug the modem for a short time &
then plug it back.

K - wondered if it was an OS setting or such - makes sense it's the
modem itself that does not re-initialise properly. I will try and
remember to unplug and replug the modem next time to further indicate
it it's that or the OS.

Thanks.
Old December 17th 05, 01:14 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

wrote:

I can have a connection to Zen for maybe 7 days, but then the
connection will drop and my system reconnect. This may not be Zen but
BT somewhere along the system chain.

Power saving settings enabled on your USB drivers, modem, etc ?

I have no pwr-saving on for any such devices.

Thanks.
Old December 17th 05, 01:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kraftee

wrote:
[...]

The other thing to check is to make sure that the USB port concerned
isn't included in the OS's power management. I have problems with the
laptop & modem I have to use for testing ADSL connections & I've done
all of the above, only to find it still doesn't want to know, even been
advised by our in-house 'help' desk (sometimes the help is anything but)
to shut down the laptop, remove battery from laptop & wait 10 minutes,
put it all back together & try again. Thankfully I have never had to do
that yet, but it comes from overloading an out of date laptop (minimum
of 7 years now at least) with more & more software, they've even
installed a semi permantly running data miner to check to see if we've
got any non complient software using up system resources now.

So if a OpenRetch engineer pays you a visit & appears to be taking along
time to run a APTS line test, just bear in mind that he is most probably
having to use outdated & under resourced hardware to do so & has been
waiting at least 3 years to get something which would do the job a lot
more faster & easily..