AOL with SpeedTouch 576 router?

Old December 17th 05, 04:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Nigel Molesworth

Default AOL with SpeedTouch 576 router?

A friend has AOL broadband via a USB ADSL modem. He has recently
upgraded to their 2mbps service, and wants to use the supplied
SpeedTouch 576 router to connect a desktop PC (via CAT5) and a
notebook (via wireless).

He had problems which AOL couldn't fix, so he called me in. I've run
the setup program on the CD, and all goes well until it tries to
connect to AOL (step 9, test 4), at which point it fails with a red
indicator on the setup window.

I've tried to setup the router via its web interface, same problem, it
gives "PPP authentication failed". I've tried with the @aol.com on the
screen name, and without (the setup program removes it, even though
the instructions say it is required).

AOL thought the router may be faulty, the new one is the same. The
connection works fine using the USB modem.

Any ideas?

--
Nigel M
Old December 17th 05, 05:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
ron

"Nigel Molesworth" wrote in message
[...]

It would be easier to get your friend to come on here instead. You might be
causing the problem by not putting the correct user name and password in to
the router. If it doesn't connect then you need to check which protocol AOL
uses, but your friend has already done all that and checked he has used the
correct user name and password when he spoke to AOL.
It's more of a "wrong setting" problem than anything the way you have
described it.

Old December 17th 05, 05:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Nigel Molesworth

On Sat, 17 Dec 2005 16:31:36 GMT, ron wrote:

It would be easier to get your friend to come on here instead.

I think not, friend thinks PC World is a good place to shop ;-)

causing the problem by not putting the correct user name and password...

Although I was there to help, friend was there for checking details.

--
Nigel M
Old December 17th 05, 09:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Trev

"Nigel Molesworth" wrote in message
A friend has AOL broadband

*snip*

From AOL's setup page

Are there special requirements for the Screen Name I use to set up my home
network?
Yes. The Screen Name you use for configuring your router to sign on to AOL
must follow the following guidelines to avoid technical problems with your
connection:
a.. You must enter the full Screen Name in lower case
b.. You must add @aol.com after the Screen Name
c.. The Screen Name must not contain any spaces
d.. The Screen Name must have General (18+) access in
AOL Parental Controls (Mature Teen, Young Teen and Kids Only Screen Names
will not work for a router connection)
For example, if your current Screen Name is: FTG and HL24 The router setup
for this Screen Name should be:
We recommend that you create a new Screen Name for your router to connect
to AOL. (If you use an existing Screen Name, then access AOL from a
different location using that same Screen Name, your router will lose
connection to the Internet.)
Are there special requirements for the password I use to set up my home
network? Yes. The AOL Screen Name you use for configuring your router to
sign on to AOL must use a password that follows the three rules below:

The password cannot be longer than eight characters
The password must consist of letters and numbers only (i.e., no spaces, or
special characters such as: ! ? % and spaces)
The password must be all lower case (no CAPITALS allowed)

HTH
Trev

Old December 18th 05, 12:27 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Nigel Molesworth

On Sat, 17 Dec 2005 20:04:09 -0000, Trev wrote:

Are there special requirements for the Screen Name...

User's name is 8 lower case letters.

The password cannot be longer than eight characters...

Password is 3 lowercase letters and 3 digits.

Will double check the 18+ but I don't think this is the problem.

Three things that I was worried about (clutching at straws here), but
remember that the user has a working USB ADSL modem connection:

[1] Not a BT line - it was, but new "provider"
[2] Number is withheld on outgoing calls
[3] Five phones installed, but have tried with 2 unplugged

--
Nigel M
Old December 18th 05, 10:09 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave Stanton

I think not, friend thinks PC World is a good place to shop ;-)

Way beyond help then g.

Dave
Old December 18th 05, 10:48 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Sat, 17 Dec 2005 15:59:26 +0000, Nigel Molesworth
wrote:

Any ideas?

if its using PPPoA try PPPoE, or vice versa.

Phil

Old December 19th 05, 03:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Geoff

"Nigel Molesworth" wrote in message
A friend has AOL broadband........

advise user to ditch AOL for ANY other isp

user agree's:
you can then help them (since they will joina normal isp)

user refuses
tell user to phone aol support (since you would be wasting your time)

sorted

Old December 19th 05, 04:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Nigel Molesworth

On Mon, 19 Dec 2005 14:13:22 -0000, Geoff wrote:

A friend has AOL broadband........

advise user to ditch AOL for ANY other isp

Yes, yes, I know. They have signed up for a year, so there is zilch I
can do at the moment.

Any other suggestions about what may be wrong?

--
Nigel M
Old December 19th 05, 04:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Geoff

"Nigel Molesworth" wrote in message
On Mon, 19 Dec 2005 14:13:22 -0000, Geoff wrote:

A friend has AOL broadband........

advise user to ditch AOL for ANY other isp

Yes, yes, I know. They have signed up for a year, so there is zilch I
can do at the moment.

nah sorry, dunno
bad luck