Buzz on Telephone Line

Old December 19th 05, 09:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andrew

Default Buzz on Telephone Line

I have a cordless telephone (BT Quartet 1100) plugged into the master socket
in the lounge via a microfilter. My modem (Origo ASR-8000) is connected to
the telephone line in the spare room upstairs through an ADSL-Nation
filtered faceplate. When the modem is switched on there is an audible buzz
on the telephone when making calls. As soon as the modem is switched off
the buzz goes away.

Is this a filtering problem or is the modem router emitting some signal /
frequency that is interferring with the telephone? Does anybody have any
ideas?

Thanks,

Andy

Old December 19th 05, 10:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

On 19-Dec-2005, "Andrew" wrote:

When the modem is switched on there is an audible buzz
on the telephone when making calls. As soon as the modem is switched off
the buzz goes away.

May be a switch mode PSU somewhere, depends a lot
on whether you can recognise a 50hz main hum/buzz
from some other frequency. It also depends on whether
it has always been there, or whether it has suddenly
(or slowly) appeared, these latter can be due to fading
electrolytic capacitors. This latter can happen if the
box is powered up for a while in full summer sunlight.
Old December 19th 05, 10:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Stirling

When was Buzby retired? 1990?
Old December 19th 05, 10:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andrew

wrote in message

On 19-Dec-2005, "Andrew"
wrote:

When the modem is switched on there is an audible buzz
on the telephone when making calls. As soon as the modem is switched off
the buzz goes away.

May be a switch mode PSU somewhere, depends a lot
on whether you can recognise a 50hz main hum/buzz
from some other frequency. It also depends on whether
it has always been there, or whether it has suddenly
(or slowly) appeared, these latter can be due to fading
electrolytic capacitors. This latter can happen if the
box is powered up for a while in full summer sunlight.

It has always been there. As soom as I switch the modem on (or rather its
power supply) I get the buzz on the phone line.

Thanks,

Andy

PS. I don't think I am being bugged!!! I left the KGB a long time ago but
still have links so be carefull with daft comments; especially about Buzby
since he is well connected!

Old December 20th 05, 12:54 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
News24

"Andrew" wrote in
:

I have a cordless telephone (BT Quartet 1100) plugged into the master
socket in the lounge via a microfilter. My modem (Origo ASR-8000) is
connected to the telephone line in the spare room upstairs through an
ADSL-Nation filtered faceplate. When the modem is switched on there
is an audible buzz on the telephone when making calls. As soon as the
modem is switched off the buzz goes away.

Is this a filtering problem or is the modem router emitting some
signal / frequency that is interferring with the telephone? Does
anybody have any ideas?

Thanks,

Andy

Check your filters, especially the one connected to the modem. I had a
similar problem when I first had ADSL, put a filter on the phone but not my
modem (on a separate extension) and it caused buzzing when connected.

Also try a wired phone where you normally plug the cordless in, as it could
be picking up RF interference, especially so if the cordless is not
digital.

HTH.
Old December 20th 05, 07:26 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andrew

Check your filters, especially the one connected to the modem. I had a
similar problem when I first had ADSL, put a filter on the phone but not
my
modem (on a separate extension) and it caused buzzing when connected.

Also try a wired phone where you normally plug the cordless in, as it
could
be picking up RF interference, especially so if the cordless is not
digital.

HTH.

Thanks. Have checked and changed the filters. The cordless phone is a BT
Quartet 1100 which I believe is analogue. Could the touter be emitting a
signal / frequency that causes the interference? It isn't a wireless router
by the way.

Andy

Old December 20th 05, 09:03 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

On 19 Dec 2005 22:59, "Andrew" wrote:

It has always been there. As soom as I switch the modem on (or rather its
power supply) I get the buzz on the phone line.

you mean "it has always been there when the modem's PSU is on"

If the modem isn't connected to the phone line, is the buzz heard ?

Can you borrow another modem (same model) from anyone to identify whether
it is the PSU or the modem ? I've known a router not reset properly and
cause a buzz, and another router fail completely on the ADSL modem side
(but caused the line to appear 'off hook' and was replaced by Netgear).

Also, have you tried using the modem via a separate filter (whether a 1.99
model from Solwise.co.uk or a more expensive one, from elsewhere) in case
the filtered faceplate is faulty... Peter M.

--

UK ADSL http://tinyurl.com/5jpa4...
I save with Plus.Net on Broadband Plus at 14.99.
Old December 20th 05, 10:12 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
James Bailey

you mean "it has always been there when the modem's PSU is on"

If the modem isn't connected to the phone line, is the buzz heard ?

Can you borrow another modem (same model) from anyone to identify whether
it is the PSU or the modem ? I've known a router not reset properly and
cause a buzz, and another router fail completely on the ADSL modem side
(but caused the line to appear 'off hook' and was replaced by Netgear).

Also, have you tried using the modem via a separate filter (whether a 1.99
model from Solwise.co.uk or a more expensive one, from elsewhere) in case
the filtered faceplate is faulty... Peter M.

Would also recommend unscrewing faceplate from master socket, inserting
filter into test socket on bottom half, plugging modem on one side of filter,
phone on other and see if the buzz is still there.

It's commonly caused by NTE5 or internal wiring issues, which using the test
socket will prove.
--
Kind regards,
James Bailey

Old December 20th 05, 12:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

James Bailey wrote:

[...]

Will the at NTE5 test socket tonight. James, do you support Metronet
customers wherever they post???

Thanks,
Andy

Old December 20th 05, 12:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
James Bailey

Will the at NTE5 test socket tonight. James, do you support Metronet
customers wherever they post???

Thanks,
Andy

I try my best