198kbs = 1meg?

Old December 21st 05, 12:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Harry Martin

Default 198kbs = 1meg?

A mate of mine has just contacted me regarding his broadband speed. He has
recently joined on a 1meg connection (as I understand it), but according to
his on line speed checker, he can't get anymore than 198 kbs. I thought he
should be getting something closer to 1000 kbs, and now we are unsure. I
get about 980kbs here on my 1meg. so I assume he has a problem modem?

His computer is a 2Ghz pentium, modem is a speedtouch (I think), Internet is
Tescali.

Hope you can help us sort this one.
Harry

Old December 21st 05, 01:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chip

On Wed, 21 Dec 2005 11:07:51 -0000,it is alleged that "Harry Martin"
spake thusly in
uk.telecom.broadband:

A mate of mine has just contacted me regarding his broadband speed. He has
recently joined on a 1meg connection (as I understand it), but according to
his on line speed checker, he can't get anymore than 198 kbs. I thought he
should be getting something closer to 1000 kbs, and now we are unsure. I
get about 980kbs here on my 1meg. so I assume he has a problem modem?

His computer is a 2Ghz pentium, modem is a speedtouch (I think), Internet is
Tescali.

Hope you can help us sort this one.
Harry

Which online speed checker is he using? If the number had been a
little lower, I would have suspected the old "kilobytes vs kilobits"
error, but that would be more like 120. It's possible that the
speedchecker itself was having bandwidth or congestion issues at the
time.

--
Whenever people say "we mustn't be sentimental", you can take it
they are about to do something cruel. And if they add, "we must
Old December 21st 05, 02:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Daniel

The problem is more likely his ISP. Tiscali is plauged with speed problems
because they use datastream and like putting too many users on too smaller
pipe!

Dan

Old December 21st 05, 04:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
R. Mark Clayton

"Harry Martin" wrote in message
A mate of mine has just contacted me regarding his broadband speed. He has
recently joined on a 1meg connection (as I understand it), but according
his on line speed checker, he can't get anymore than 198 kbs. I thought
he
should be getting something closer to 1000 kbs, and now we are unsure. I
get about 980kbs here on my 1meg. so I assume he has a problem modem?

His computer is a 2Ghz pentium, modem is a speedtouch (I think), Internet
is
Tescali.

Hope you can help us sort this one.
Harry

So how is he measuring this?

If he is looping back in the net then the maximum rate will be his uplink
speed (say 250kbits/S), less some for protocol, latency etc.

If not then perhaps someone is confusing bits and bytes (= 8 bits).

Old December 21st 05, 05:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Harry Martin

"Daniel" wrote in message
The problem is more likely his ISP. Tiscali is plauged with speed problems
because they use datastream and like putting too many users on too smaller
pipe!

Dan

After speaking with my friend again, I understand that the speedtest was
done with Tescali's own speedetst website and he has also tried others.
The result he is getting is 196.10kbps or thereabouts. I have just done a
similar test here with my ISP and I am getting 986.35kbps from my 1meg
connection, so does that mean his ISP is the problem? Can he call a
technical support line to get this sorted? Or will he need to speak to BT?

Thanks to everyone for your help
Harry

Old December 21st 05, 06:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Invisible Man

Harry Martin wrote:
"Daniel" wrote in message

The problem is more likely his ISP. Tiscali is plauged with speed problems
because they use datastream and like putting too many users on too smaller
pipe!

Dan

After speaking with my friend again, I understand that the speedtest was
done with Tescali's own speedetst website and he has also tried others.
The result he is getting is 196.10kbps or thereabouts. I have just done a
similar test here with my ISP and I am getting 986.35kbps from my 1meg
connection, so does that mean his ISP is the problem? Can he call a
technical support line to get this sorted? Or will he need to speak to BT?

Thanks to everyone for your help
Harry

Best of luck for your friend trying to get any sense out of Tiscali. I
used to be with them and they were a complete nightmare. Speeds lower
than a dial up connection and support that transferred you from queue to
queue to closed department or suggested you reinstall windows.
Some people seem to do OK with Tiscali but there are numerous complaints
in various forums and newsgroups. Only real answer seems to be to move
to a proper ISP. See comparisons at ADSLguide.
Old December 21st 05, 07:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiscali Tim

Harry Martin wrote:

"Daniel" wrote in message
The problem is more likely his ISP. Tiscali is plauged with speed
problems because they use datastream and like putting too many users
on too smaller pipe!

Dan

After speaking with my friend again, I understand that the speedtest
was done with Tescali's own speedetst website and he has also tried
others. The result he is getting is 196.10kbps or thereabouts. I
have just done a similar test here with my ISP and I am getting
986.35kbps from my 1meg connection, so does that mean his ISP is the
problem? Can he call a technical support line to get this sorted?
Or will he need to speak to BT?

Thanks to everyone for your help
Harry

He needs to run the *BT* speed test - accessible by logging on to the BT
test network rather than to Tiscali. If it's *still* bad, it means that
there is a problem with the connection (or possibly with his kit). If the BT
test gives *proper* speeds, his problem is with Tiscali.
--
Cheers,
Tim

Old December 21st 05, 07:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Harry Martin

"The Invisible Man" wrote in message

Best of luck for your friend trying to get any sense out of Tiscali. I
used to be with them and they were a complete nightmare. Speeds lower
than a dial up connection and support that transferred you from queue to
queue to closed department or suggested you reinstall windows.
Some people seem to do OK with Tiscali but there are numerous complaints
in various forums and newsgroups. Only real answer seems to be to move
to a proper ISP. See comparisons at ADSLguide.

If this is how its going to be perhaps he should consider trying to get out
of the contract?

Is there a 12 month contract with this firm?

I am quite suprised as this firm was recomended by Dell.

They are apparently offering Tescali as part of a deal on their computers.

Why would such a reputable company like Dell be getting into bed with such a
firm?

Harry

Old December 22nd 05, 04:22 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tony

"Harry Martin" wrote in message
SNIP

Why would such a reputable company like Dell be getting into bed with such
firm?

Commission on introductions!! Haven't you seen the Tiscali spam asking
people to sign up - (by the way, in case that is an affiliate number in the
URL, this website is nothing to do with me, just found it through a Google
search)

http://www.tiscali.co.uk/products/nm/website/UK-137948/