Anyone actually getting 8mb speeds?

Old December 22nd 05, 09:34 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Me

Default Anyone actually getting 8mb speeds?

A few ISPs are advertsing "up to" 8mb broadband but is anyone actually
getting that? Or any speed higher than 2mb? And with which ISP?

I realise that the speed depends on your distance from the exchange and that
8mb is therefore not guaranteed but anyone here getting between 2mb and 8mb?

Old December 22nd 05, 09:45 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Chung

"Me" wrote in
:

A few ISPs are advertsing "up to" 8mb broadband but is anyone actually
getting that? Or any speed higher than 2mb? And with which ISP?

I realise that the speed depends on your distance from the exchange
and that 8mb is therefore not guaranteed but anyone here getting
between 2mb and 8mb?

I get 4.4Mbps from UK Online (58dB downstream attenuation, 3.3km line
length).

--
Phil
http://www.philipchung.co.uk/
Old December 22nd 05, 09:50 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Inquisitor

"Phil Chung" wrote in message
"Me" wrote in
:

A few ISPs are advertsing "up to" 8mb broadband but is anyone actually
getting that? Or any speed higher than 2mb? And with which ISP?

I realise that the speed depends on your distance from the exchange
and that 8mb is therefore not guaranteed but anyone here getting
between 2mb and 8mb?

I get 4.4Mbps from UK Online (58dB downstream attenuation, 3.3km line
length).

--
Phil
http://www.philipchung.co.uk/

No chance of getting 8mb unless you set up home in the exhange building.

Old December 22nd 05, 11:01 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alex Brown

On Thu, 22 Dec 2005 08:34:12 -0000, "Me"
wrote:

A few ISPs are advertsing "up to" 8mb broadband but is anyone actually
getting that? Or any speed higher than 2mb? And with which ISP?

We've got lots of our customers getting 10Mb.

I realise that the speed depends on your distance from the exchange

Only if you're on DSL and not the superior cable connection

Happy Xmas

Alex

--

Alex Brown
blueyonder Product Manager
Old December 22nd 05, 11:17 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

The Inquisitor wrote:
No chance of getting 8mb unless you set up home in the exhange building.

When the engineer came to install my ADSL a year or three back, he
commented that it was "highly likely" I'd be able to get 8 Mb - when it
became available.

My router claims the following values -

* Local Tx Power: 11.95 dB
* Remote Tx Power: 19.4 dB
* Local Line Atten.: 30.0 dB
* Remote Line Atten.: 18.0 dB
* Local SNR Margin: 32.0 dB
* Remote SNR Margin: 26.0 dB

AFAIK I'm a mile or so from the local exchange (if anyone's got a
streetmap/multimap reference for Harrogate exchange, I'd appreciate it).

Chris
Old December 22nd 05, 11:20 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gizmo

"Me" wrote in message
A few ISPs are advertsing "up to" 8mb broadband but is anyone actually
getting that? Or any speed higher than 2mb? And with which ISP?

I realise that the speed depends on your distance from the exchange and
that 8mb is therefore not guaranteed but anyone here getting between 2mb
and 8mb?

As a general rule of thumb:
If you can throw a stone through the exchange windows, you stand a chance of
getting 8Mb

Old December 22nd 05, 11:27 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

On 22 Dec 2005 08:34, "Me" wrote:

A few ISPs are advertsing "up to" 8mb broadband but is anyone actually
getting that? Or any speed higher than 2mb? And with which ISP?

A friend of mine up here in the north of Wales is getting 7200 kbps on
a line form Bulldog. He switched to them a while ago for their off-
peak 2000 kbps service (since he's at work in office hours it made no
difference having 500 kbps in the day) and earlier this year got their
upgrade. No other services available here (eg Easynet/UK Online) yet.

I realise that the speed depends on your distance from the exchange and that
8mb is therefore not guaranteed but anyone here getting between 2mb and 8mb?

He is pretty close to the exchange (under 10 minute walk) though how far the
copper goes is another matter. He originally had a BT engineer installation
so has a filtered master socket, I believe. His speedtest is here
http://www.adslguide.org/tools/speed...d4ebfcb8e2a10a
(shows actual speed of data at around 6600 kbps). HTH. Peter M.

--
runbox.com - 10 GB of mail storage and 1000 MB for files...
30 day free trial... http://2238.runbox.com/
Old December 22nd 05, 11:30 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

On 22 Dec 2005 10:01, Alex Brown wrote:

Only if you're on DSL and not the superior cable connection

So when will that serve _all_ of Wales :-)

Very happy with the service I get at 2000 kbps, while a friend uses the
higher speed available from Bulldog (no other LLU services here). Peter

--

UK ADSL http://tinyurl.com/5jpa4...
I save with Plus.Net on Broadband Plus at 14.99.
Old December 22nd 05, 03:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Lasitha

I get 7 to 7.5Mb on Bulldog. I am 2.3Km from the exchange.