500k to 1M upgrade failed in September - retry possible ??

Old December 22nd 05, 10:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steve Harvey

Default 500k to 1M upgrade failed in September - retry possible ??

Hi,
I received the email, quoted below, from my ISP (Pipex) back in
September which informed me that BT could not upgrade my line for 1Mb "at
this time".
I was wondering if anyone else may have received such a letter and has
sucessfully challenged it and got their service upgraded later.

Thanks in advance

Steve Harvey

steveharvey [at] dsl [dot] pipex [dot] com

************************************************** ************
"As part of the PIPEX Speed Upgrade Programme, your local telephone exchange
was recently upgraded to support faster broadband services.

Your Xtreme Solo 500 service was automatically put forward for an upgrade to
Solo 1000 service, but unfortunately we have received a response from
BT informing us that your telephone line is unable to support a faster
service at this time.

The reason why a faster broadband service cannot be supported is probably
due to the quality of your telephone line or the distance of your premises
from the local telephone exchange.

It is almost certain that no other broadband service provider using BT
ADSL circuits to supply customers with broadband services will currently
be able to provide you with a 1Mbps service. However, as we continue to work
very closely with BT to develop and improve the availability of broadband
we may contact you at some point in the future if the situation changes.

In the meantime your PIPEX broadband service will continue to work as normal
at 512Kbps, and you will benefit from a price reduction. You will now pay
just
17.01 excl. VAT (19.99 incl. VAT) per month from your next billing period.
If you have paid quarterly or annually in advance you will receive a credit
against your next bill to reflect the pricing change.

If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact us on
0845 077 2455 or email us on ."

Old December 23rd 05, 12:02 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kraftee

Steve Harvey wrote:
Hi,
I received the email, quoted below, from my ISP (Pipex) back in
September which informed me that BT could not upgrade my line for 1Mb
"at this time".
I was wondering if anyone else may have received such a letter and has
sucessfully challenged it and got their service upgraded later.

Thanks in advance

Steve Harvey

steveharvey [at] dsl [dot] pipex [dot] com

************************************************** ************
"As part of the PIPEX Speed Upgrade Programme, your local telephone
exchange was recently upgraded to support faster broadband services.

Your Xtreme Solo 500 service was automatically put forward for an
upgrade to a
[...]

Unless you can prove otherwise, i.e have some type of diagnostic on your
line it won't make any difference, not unless there has been a major
changed in the local network (you haven't had the water board or gas
board changing their pipelines have you, they seem to disregard all
sense of safe dig practice & often create major damage to BT cables,
leading them to be replaced, which could lead to an improvement on your
line quality)...

Old December 23rd 05, 09:51 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

I had a similar letter from Pipex. I sent them details of my SNR &
Attn figures & told them that both my neighbours (on different ISP's)
had been successfully upgraded, but they weren't interested.

I swapped to Plusnet & paid for an upgrade in the end & have had no
problems. I'm not with Plusnet now - but that's for other reasons....

Chris