LCP is down

Old December 23rd 05, 01:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
andrew.burchill

Default LCP is down

I would appreciated any insight into my current ADSL problem, I am
currently going through the rigamarole of dealing with both BTYahoo and
Netgear indian call centres.

Using netgear DG834 wireless (got a green adsl light), been working fine
for the last 2 months (when i bought it). The internal network is fine.
The adsl modem says connected but I am not being given a IP address.
The logs shows the following endlessly repeating...

LCP is intializing
LCP is allowed to come up
LCP is down

BT say the line is fine and I need to ring netgear back to finish the
troubleshooting. BT's website reports no problems. Netgear have said
they will replace the modem if found to be faulty but I suspect the
problem may be with BT (tho they assure me there no billing issues or
suspensions).

Any advice appreciated.
Old December 23rd 05, 01:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tim

"andrew.burchill" wrote in message
[...]

Don't you know someone who could try it on another ADSL line to rule out the
834 as being faulty. I must say I have fitted loads on 834s without a
single issue.

Tim

Old December 23rd 05, 03:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
andrew.burchill

Tim wrote:

Don't you know someone who could try it on another ADSL line to rule out the
834 as being faulty. I must say I have fitted loads on 834s without a
single issue.

Tim

Not really, a friend of my has a spare router he can loan me tho not
till next week unfortuantely.

--
Eps
Old December 24th 05, 02:06 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin²

Andrew B:
Netgear indian call centres.

And how is Ahmed, still reading from the (poor) Netgear installation manual
?
Oh, yes, been there done that.
So here is the benefit of my experience:
Go to nearest PC World, buy another router, anything but Netgear !
D-Link or Zoom are reasonably cheap and easy to set up.
You then have two weeks to return it to PC World (making sure it's all
pristine and with all the packaging).
In my case the Netgear proved to be faulty (which cost me 7 days hassle and
lot of hair), so I returned it.
Then I returned the other router to PC World and bought second hand Draytek
Vigor 2600VGi from Ebay at half price. It hasn't missed bit in nearly three
years. The only time I have seen it (it's in the attic) was to update the
firmware with new VoIP features.
Good luck,
regards,
Martin

Old December 24th 05, 01:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Simon Zerafa

Hi Andrew,

I had the very same issue this week with a customer who's Netgear Router was
reporting the same error sequence with LCP.

Their local wiring was a bit of a mess so after tiding this up and
reconnecting everthing I was still getting the same errors when attempting
to connect.

I then pulled out my trusty BeWAN ADSL USB Modem ( great device allows
switching from PPPoA to PPPoE without reinstalling drivers and gives proper
error messages in it's control panel) and this at first failed to connect.

I then started replacing cables until the BeWAN was able to connect
correctly and was reporting "SHOWTIME" it it's status page.

I then reconnected the Netgear and it connected first time.

Unless this was a strange exchange fault (which the LCP errors don't seem to
imply) then this was a local wiring issue which prevented the Netgear from
seeing the ADSL signal correctly.

Regards

Simon

Old December 24th 05, 09:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Simon Zerafa wrote:
[...]

Why don't LCP errors imply an exchange fault ?. I dugg out my old
alcatel speedtouch usb modem (i honestly forgot I had it) and set that
up. It gave me the following response :

The remote computer did not repond.

I have tried different wires going into the phone socket (we have our
master socket filtered) so if it is a wiring issue it will be either
the wiring in the walls or the external wiring. The ADSL connection
has been working fine for the last couple of years.

I spoke to BT again last night with the modem set up and went through
some more trouble shooting, they eventually said they were going to
escalate the issue and ring me back today between 2 and 4. They rang
me at half 5 when I had just sat down to have my dinner and apparently
now they cant ring me back until tuesday. Very unimpressed.

What more trouble shooting can I do ?, I am still planning to borrow a
friends router on wenesdsday (in the unlikely event that both devices I
have tried are faulty). I would like to see them send an engineer out
with a laptop and modem and show me the connection working.

Thanks for all your replies guys.

--
Eps

Old December 24th 05, 10:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
George

BT say the line is fine and I need to ring netgear back to finish the
troubleshooting. BT's website reports no problems. Netgear have said
they will replace the modem if found to be faulty but I suspect the
problem may be with BT (tho they assure me there no billing issues or
suspensions).

Any advice appreciated.

I do technical support for an ISP. (In a UK based call centre!) In 9 of
10 cases where a router is in sync, but can't connect to the ISP, there
is a problem with the login details. For example, has you password
changed recently? Also, try resetting the router back to factory
defaults, seems to work a lot with those Netgears! I know these seem
like simple things to try, but they are often overlooked. Lastly, if you
are sure the router is configured correctly, connect the modem supplied
by the ISP, and contact them with the error messages. If they try to fob
you off with 'your OS networking configuration has become corrupted'
etc, then make sure you mention that you have also tried a router, which
rules out any OS issues. Also insist they do a One Shot Check (a BT ADSL
testing tool), and submit a fault to BT wholesale if they cannot resolve
your issue.

George

Old December 24th 05, 10:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Simpsons

[...]

Have you tried the BT test login?
http://www.adslguide.org.uk/howitworks/bt_test.asp

Old December 25th 05, 12:53 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Ok guys thanks for you responses.

I also work for a uk ISP and do firstline techincal support (look at my
original post to work out which one). I regularly troubleshoot adsl
connections.

The login details are correct (they haven't changed since it stopped
wokring on thursday), I aslo asked BT to check if the billing was up to
date or if there was any isue with usage limts, they assured me there
was no problem with my account.

The bt test login ([email protected]_domain) does not work, I do not get
issued a ip address and cannot browse to www.bt.net. I have tried the
modem they supplied me with (alcatel speedtouch usb aka "the frog") and
this does not work either (error: the remote computer did not respond),
the error is not an authentication error.

Reset the modem with using the inset button on the back, reflashed the
firmware on the instruction of netgear technical support (it was
already using the latest version).

Yet bt tell me the line is fine, I want them to come and show me it
working before I spend ~£60 on a new modem/router.

I am not an expert on ADSL exchanges but my feeling it is either a
problem with the exchange.

Anyone know anything about LCP (link control protocol), this is where
the router is failing.

Any help appreciated.

--
Eps

Old December 25th 05, 01:16 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Simpsons

Anyone know anything about LCP (link control protocol), this is where
the router is failing.

Any help appreciated.

Have you updated to the latest firmware?
This link mentions a bug fix for LCP.
http://support.metronet.co.uk/adsl/e...r/dg834gt.html