remore desktop ...

Old December 23rd 05, 11:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
rdrunner40

Default remore desktop ...

Hi,

I have a windows xp pro sp2 pc and i want to connect to my friends pc
in London ,.... to help them out.

They also have a XP Pro SP2 pc as well..

We are both on bT broadband .... 2mb

basically i wish to know how to do it ....

I rang BT and they said they wouldn't help me as it was not there
problem to do the router ..

both of the routers are BT Voyager 2091 routers wireless .... both are
connected to the pc via ethernet cable.

Any help would be greatly appreciated ... or if not then to be pointed
in the general direction of a help document. I have spent a while here

i guess i will have to set up a user account on the remote PC and for
it to have administrator priveledges ...

Another questios is remote desktop or remote connection ? which is
better for help desk .... as the user in london is basically a
beginner.

regards and merry xmas to all

roadrunner

--
rdrunner40
Old December 24th 05, 06:45 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Craig

"rdrunner40" wrote:
Hi,

I have a windows xp pro sp2 pc and i want to connect to my friends pc
in London ,.... to help them out.

Another questios is remote desktop or remote connection ? which is
better for help desk .... as the user in london is basically a
beginner.

I use remote destop to administer my PC when I'm out.

I also use GTorenoPC as a secure proxy. All the traffic gets tunneled over
an https:// connection.

http://hp.vector.co.jp/authors/VA027.../index_en.html

All works brilliantly.

Old December 24th 05, 10:02 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
rdrunner40

Whilst i understand how it works ... the basic question was how do i get
thru the two bt routers ......

This is the bit that i am having trouble with as seem to have NAT
enabled by default on both routers.

I have got my IP address and my friends also ... but that is only of
the router ... i still cannot connect to the actual PC ... so i am
assuming that there is settings to change here some where here to
change ....

roadrunner

dudicous Wrote:
rdrunner40 wrote:

[...]

rdrunner40,

you got as far as writing the above message but failed to type in
"remote desktop windows" in Google Search which would have given you
hundreds of articles on how to do what you want to do. I have
included
one link below which also contains lots of links.

http://tinyurl.com/5ageo

Remote Desktop uses port 3389 so you will have to open that port
manually on his machine.

Use remote desktop as he does not have to see what you are doing - he
will not learn anything from seeing a cursor flash around the screen.

Once you have tried and have specific questions to ask then people
will
answer them. No-one has time to help the person who wants to be
spoon-fed the whole of the way.

Merry Christmas!

--
rdrunner40
Old December 24th 05, 11:23 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Grant

"rdrunner40" wrote in message

Hi,

I have a windows xp pro sp2 pc and i want to connect to my friends pc
in London ,.... to help them out.

www.logmein.com

I've been using their free account for family and friends support for a
whille. Even managed to sort out my kids' PC from a McDonalds internet
kiosk. They also have a PocketPC client available.

Excellent software.

Old December 24th 05, 01:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Stephen Chadfield

Craig wrote:
"rdrunner40" wrote:
Hi,

I have a windows xp pro sp2 pc and i want to connect to my friends pc
in London ,.... to help them out.

Another questios is remote desktop or remote connection ? which is
better for help desk .... as the user in london is basically a
beginner.

I use remote destop to administer my PC when I'm out.

I also use GTorenoPC as a secure proxy. All the traffic gets tunneled over
an https:// connection.

http://hp.vector.co.jp/authors/VA027.../index_en.html

I use WinSSHD (http://www.bitvise.com) with connections restricted to
key-based authentication from a limited number of IP addresses. I only
need to have one port open on the firewall but can use a variety of
services through it.

I tunnel remote desktop and use sftp for secure file transfers.

--
Stephen Chadfield
http://www.chadfield.com/
Old December 24th 05, 01:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager

On Fri, 23 Dec 2005 22:32:54 UTC, rdrunner40
wrote:

I have a windows xp pro sp2 pc and i want to connect to my friends pc
in London ,.... to help them out.

Did you try Google? I think not....

But since it's Christmas...

http://www.realvnc.com/
euthanasia recommended. ]
Old December 24th 05, 04:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

On 24 Dec 2005 09:02, rdrunner40 wrote:

basic question was how do i get thru the two bt routers ......
... i still cannot connect to the actual PC

Grant Mason's suggestion sorts everything out, works on Win XP Home as
well as Win XP Pro, needs no changes made to the routers, and is just
simplicity itself. I have used TightVNC on Win 98/Win 95 but that'd
need ports handled by the router to allow a connection to work, and
would not work well if DHCP is used on a LAN :-) Peter M.

--
runbox.com - 10 GB of mail storage and 1000 MB for files...
30 day free trial... http://2238.runbox.com/
Old December 24th 05, 09:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
dudicous

rdrunner40 wrote:

Whilst i understand how it works ... the basic question was how do i get
thru the two bt routers ......

This is the bit that i am having trouble with as seem to have NAT
enabled by default on both routers.

Mmmmmm, now you are being a bit more specific.

I have no experience of the router you have however USING GOOGLE I see
someone said that the BT Voyager 2100 is very similar. Port forwarding
is hidden away under Virtual Server.

Use the link below to see how similar a 2100 is to your 2091 and then
hopefully to be shown how to set up the router.

http://www.adslguide.org.uk/hardware...oyager2100.asp

If you want to use Remote Desktop as opposed to one of the other
programs mentioned by others you need to forward port 3389, TCP
protocol.

Regards

Old January 5th 06, 12:53 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

rdrunner40 wrote:
Whilst i understand how it works ... the basic question was how do i get
thru the two bt routers ......

This is the bit that i am having trouble with as seem to have NAT
enabled by default on both routers.

I have got my IP address and my friends also ... but that is only of
the router ... i still cannot connect to the actual PC ... so i am
assuming that there is settings to change here some where here to
change ....

roadrunner

If you are going to use only Microsoft software and follow Microsoft's
recommend method, what you need to do is establish a Virtual Private
Network connection beteen your network and your friends network (The
alternative is just Port Forwarding the Remote Desktop port(s)). The
benifits of VPN are
1) It encrypts the communication between your two PCs
2) It allows all network applications to be used (e.g. File/Printer
sharing, networked games) not just Remote Desktop.

I haven't done it for about 6 years (I was using NT) and don't have
access to a BT Voyager 2091 at the moment but the procedure to make a
VPN connection is
1) Ensure that you are not both using the same network addresses. The
BT Voyager defaults to using network 192.168.1.xxx. You are going to
have to change one BT voyager to a different network address (e.g.
192.168.2.xxx). This requires the IP address and the addresses given
out by the DHCP server to be changed. You are then going to have to
also change the address of the PC connected to this BT voyager. If the
PC is using a static address the change will have to be made on the PC.
If the PC gets its address via DHCP from the BT voyager you need to get
the PC to renew its address.
2) Chose which PC will be the VPN server and which will be the VPN
client. I would recommend that you make your friends PC the server as
this requires less work from him/her each time you make a connection.
It does however require more configuration initially.
3) Perform initial configuration at the VPN server end
a) configure the BT Voyager to port forward the VPN port to the
VPN server PC. The BT voyager has VPN one of its preconfigured options
that you can select. You don't need to enter the port number manually.
b) If you are not going to use the Administrator account, setup a
user account on the server PC for the client to use (ensure the account
is allowed to logon remotely).
c) configure the VPN server software on the server PC.
4) Each time the VPN client wants to make a connection
a) get the person at the server end to tell the person at the
client end the Internet address being used by BT voyager at the server
end. This can be found from the webpages of the BT voyager.
b) Create a network connection to a VPN server at this Internet
address. n.b. after the first time you will just be changing the
Internet address in the network connection you used the previous time.
c) connect using this connection
see
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...pert/vpns.mspx

p.s. The steps 4(a) and 4(b) can be avoided by having the VPN server
end use Dynamic DNS and entering the VPN server's dynamic dns name in
the client's network connection. The BT Voyager does support two
Dynamic DNS services but I believe these are ones you have to pay for;
not free services.

Old January 8th 06, 05:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

wrote:

The steps 4(a) and 4(b) can be avoided

Pretty much all complicated setup can be avoided...
Try
www.logmein.com and one needs do nothing about
port forwarding, no worries about NAT and dynamic IP
and no costs involved, either, for simple control of
a remote desktop.