Problem with extensions

Old December 24th 05, 10:05 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Daymo

Default Problem with extensions

I have just got ADSL but I can only connect through the master socket
with the rest of the extensions in the house unplugged. As soon as I
plug the faceplate on the Master socket back in, I lose the connection.
Does anyone have any ideas please?

Thanks

Old December 24th 05, 11:14 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiscali Tim

Daymo wrote:

I have just got ADSL but I can only connect through the master socket
with the rest of the extensions in the house unplugged. As soon as I
plug the faceplate on the Master socket back in, I lose the
connection. Does anyone have any ideas please?

Thanks

What filters are you using? Any?!!
--
Cheers,
Tim

Old December 24th 05, 12:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Daymo

Hi,
Yes I have tried it with 3 different filters, and without. I borrowed
one filter from my neighbour so I know that it works. I have tried
unplugging everything else from the extensions and that doesn't help. I
have also just tried changing the modem cable to a High speed twisted
wire, and that hasn't helped.

Thanks

Simon

Old December 24th 05, 12:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

On 24 Dec 2005, "Daymo" wrote:

Does anyone have any ideas please?

http://groups.google.com/ may help you search this group for the word
'extension' - there have been comments to suggest the (cheaper) flatter
extension cables might pick up more interference from noise sources you
have in the house (anything from a set of flickering Christmas lights),
while there have also been comments that the ring wire (third wire) may
not be needed and can cause a problem. Good luck! Peter M.

--

UK ADSL http://tinyurl.com/5jpa4...
I save with Plus.Net on Broadband Plus at 14.99.
Old December 24th 05, 02:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiscali Tim

Daymo wrote:

Hi,
Yes I have tried it with 3 different filters, and without. I borrowed
one filter from my neighbour so I know that it works. I have tried
unplugging everything else from the extensions and that doesn't help.
I have also just tried changing the modem cable to a High speed
twisted wire, and that hasn't helped.

Thanks

Simon

It sounds as if there's a problem with your extension wiring which is
preventing the line from synching.

By far the safest solution is to install a filtered faceplate obtainable
from suppliers like Solwise or Clarity.
http://www.solwise.co.uk/adsl_splitters.htm
http://www.clarity.it/telecoms/adsl_faceplate_mod.htm

These split the ADSL and voice signals at source, and eliminate any problems
with extension wiring. The analog extension wiring krones into the back of
the filtered faceplace in same way that it is currently connected to the
standard faceplate.

If your ADSL kit needs to be remote from the master socket, the Clarity
modified version is best. This enables you to wire a digital extension in
the back (in addition to the analog extensions) and makes a much neater job
than having something plugged into the front. You'll then need an RJ11
outlet socket at the other end of the digital extension wiring, in a
convenient location for your ADSL modem/router/whatever.
--
Cheers,
Tim

Old December 24th 05, 03:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kraftee

Daymo wrote:
I have just got ADSL but I can only connect through the master socket
with the rest of the extensions in the house unplugged. As soon as I
plug the faceplate on the Master socket back in, I lose the
connection. Does anyone have any ideas please?

Thanks

As you're other posts show you have checked your filters. Have you
tried disconnecting the bell wire on the back of the faceplate, it's not
required if you have a filter on each piece of attatched equipment...

You will either see a big improvement or none at all (it appears to be
an all or nothing 'fix') if you don't then your extension wiring is
seriously furbar. Just a thought though, have you got an alarm system
connected to your line, or a sky digi box, if you have these will
require filtering

Old December 24th 05, 11:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
ChrisR

"Daymo" wrote in message
ups.com...
I have just got ADSL but I can only connect through the master socket
with the rest of the extensions in the house unplugged. As soon as I
plug the faceplate on the Master socket back in, I lose the connection.
Does anyone have any ideas please?

Thanks

I had exactly the same problem. Opinions seem to vary as to whether the
extension wiring has been done incorrectly or whether the sheer length of
wire in multiple extensions has enough capacitance to cause the problem. My
only solution so far has been to bring all the extensions out to the front
of the BT master socket and plug them in through a microfilter. But that
means no ADSL in the rest of the house - the ADSL modem has to be connected
directly to the master socket. Saves on buying filters for each extension
though (or it would if I hadn't bought them before I found the problem).

A local network installation company were familiar with the issue and
offered to come out to look at it - they said they could sometimes fix it,
but if a problem joint was buried somewhere in the plaster they could only
rewire all the extensions in the house.

Chris R

Old December 25th 05, 05:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
It's Me

rewire all the extensions in the house.

Chris R

I would say the wiring is wrong like another poster did.

Best way would be to start again but use CAT5 cable for the extension
sockets. That way you will know it's right and have the best cable fitted.

Old December 25th 05, 08:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kraftee

It's Me wrote:
rewire all the extensions in the house.

Chris R

I would say the wiring is wrong like another poster did.

Best way would be to start again but use CAT5 cable for the extension
sockets. That way you will know it's right and have the best cable
fitted.

Only as long as they use pairs & not random wires, if they do so they
would not get any benefit from using cat5 cable..

Old December 25th 05, 10:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Daymo

Hi,

Thanks guys. It appears that the wiring on the house is the cheaper
aluminium and not copper, by disconnecting the extension and hardwiring
the ADSL into the master socket, and then filtering the rest of the
extensions for the rest of the house, I have got it working. Thanks for
all your input.

Hope you all have a great Christmas time.

Simon