Demon - recommended?

Old December 25th 05, 12:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Me

Default Demon - recommended?

I'm trying to pick an ISP and I'm considering Demon's 2mb service for 19.99
per month and with no activation charge (that I can see). It's a yearly
contract so if I do go with them I have to be sure that I've made the right
choice.

I'm a binary newsgroup junkie so I'll be susbscribing to a premium service
like Giganews to catch up with the last couple of months that I've missed
then Astraweb so I can buy in blocks of GBs rather than time.

I used to be with Zen who I had no problems with other than their price
though their price does include a very good newsgroup service.

So, is there any reason why I shouldn't go with Demon?

Thanks.

Old December 25th 05, 01:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

On 25 Dec 2005 11:17, "Me" wrote:

So, is there any reason why I shouldn't go with Demon?

Probably not. There was a comment in the last few months about them
now having overcome the problems for users on that 19.99 account so
you should be OK. I don't know how well Demon's own news binaries
compare with Astraweb, but I guess if you're looking to switch from
one to another, you've taken some costs into account (compared with
the Demon 24.99 account, where Astraweb might only be needed for
fills, so it depents on how much you plan to download over the next
few moonths and how much per month after that - ie will it be on the
Demon servers, but you could pay more to Astraweb than the simple 5
quid a month difference, perhaps).
Old December 25th 05, 02:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Me

I don't know how well Demon's own news binaries
compare with Astraweb, but I guess if you're looking to switch from
one to another, you've taken some costs into account.

As far as I can tell Demon has no newsgroup access. The alternative is to go
with Zen 2mb @ 34.99 a month. Astraweb offer newsgroups in GB blocks so
once I've used giganews for a month on unlimited to catch up with what I've
missed (having had no broadband since november 7th) then I go to Astraweb
and pay by the block ($10 per 25gb = something cheap) then that should add
up to a saving on what I could be paying Zen.

I hope. Once I'ved signed up with Demon I'm locked in for a whole year.

Old December 25th 05, 03:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

On 25 Dec 2005 13:51, "Me" wrote:

As far as I can tell Demon has no newsgroup access.

only on the 19.99 account, AFAIK, but that isn't the case on the 24.99
account, also AFAIK... and unlike the 19.99 account for the 24.99 a/c
you should be able to speak to Demon staff about the a/c before sign
up for service (but see other posts for when this may [not] happen :-)

Once I'ved signed up with Demon I'm locked in for a whole year.

Hence the query over whether the 24.99 account would be more economic -
only you know how much you download a month, and perhaps some users of
Demon (on ADSLguide, or in uk.media.broadband, if appropriate) can be
of use to tell you how good they find completion and retention.... I
wanted to make you aware the 5 quid a month might work out less for
you than the amount you pay Astraweb for blocks of data, if Demon is
(a) suitable and (b) your traffic load is high, then Astraweb might
work out more costly. HTH. Peter M.

--

UK ADSL http://tinyurl.com/5jpa4...
I save with Plus.Net on Broadband Plus at 14.99.
Old December 25th 05, 03:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
[email protected],uk

On Sun, 25 Dec 2005 13:51:11 -0000, "Me"
wrote:

I don't know how well Demon's own news binaries
compare with Astraweb, but I guess if you're looking to switch from
one to another, you've taken some costs into account.

As far as I can tell Demon has no newsgroup access.

Yes it does, I'm using it now.

http://www.easynn.com
Old December 25th 05, 03:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
[email protected],uk

On Sun, 25 Dec 2005 14:02:39 +0000, Richard Faulkner
wrote:

Does the 19.99 exclude newsgroups?

That's possible. I never thought of that. The 24.99 service
definitely does have newsgroups. It is the primary on the six news
services that I use and most of my messages come via Demon.

http://www.easynn.com
Old December 25th 05, 04:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Rance

On Sun, 25 Dec 2005 Me wrote:
So, is there any reason why I shouldn't go with Demon?

I've been with Demon for more than ten years and had their broadband
service for three years. I've got no complaints about their service when
I look at what others are offering. I get cross with them from time to
time because they can be inflexible. As, for instance, when I ordered
broadband one day before they waived their setup fee. Even though it
took three more weeks before I got broadband, and well into their free
setting up period, they still made me pay the 50 setup charge. Not only
that but they were quite short with me when I asked them if they
couldn't waive the fee. I felt they were being a bit jobsworth - but
they had right on their side!

However, generally speaking, their service has been good and, apart from
Zen, I can't find a better ISP (goodness knows, I've looked!). I have
the Demon Solo at 24.99 per month.

David

--
David Rance http://www.mesnil.demon.co.uk
Fido Address: 2:252/110 writing from Caversham, Reading, UK

Old December 25th 05, 04:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Me

I don't know how well Demon's own news binaries
compare with Astraweb, but I guess if you're looking to switch from
one to another, you've taken some costs into account.

As far as I can tell Demon has no newsgroup access.

Yes it does, I'm using it now.

And how is it for binary completion?

Old December 25th 05, 05:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ivor Jones

"Me" wrote in message

I don't know how well Demon's own news binaries
compare with Astraweb, but I guess if you're
looking to switch from one to another, you've taken
some costs into account.

As far as I can tell Demon has no newsgroup access.

Yes it does, I'm using it now.

And how is it for binary completion?

Completion of what..?

Ivor

Old December 25th 05, 05:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Me

As far as I can tell Demon has no newsgroup access.

Yes it does, I'm using it now.

And how is it for binary completion?

Completion of what..?

Are all or 99% of binary posts complete? A bad binary service will have so
many parts of multi-part posts missing that the files cannot be unRARed,
even with quickpar.