The Unlimited 'Limited' ISP?

Old December 25th 05, 01:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Nigel

Default The Unlimited 'Limited' ISP?

According to the tiscali website, their packages are 'unlimited', but a fair
use policy exists. Outside of the fair use periods the service is unlimited
(according to their website) WRONG! A mate of mine has just been told by
their support that there is a 30Gig cap on all unlimited packages. I
thought they had dropped all the caps some months ago?

Do all unlimited ISPs work in the same fashion? Or is this one the only
unlimited-limited ISP?

Old December 25th 05, 04:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
keymaster

"MinusNet" wrote in message
reenews.net...
Nigel wrote

According to the tiscali website, their packages are 'unlimited', but a
fair
use policy exists. Outside of the fair use periods the service is
unlimited
(according to their website) WRONG! A mate of mine has just been told by
their support that there is a 30Gig cap on all unlimited packages. I
thought they had dropped all the caps some months ago?

Do all unlimited ISPs work in the same fashion? Or is this one the only
unlimited-limited ISP?

There are dozens of posts here on this subject. Read them.

Hi
most "unlimited" dont have a limit - but if you read the small print you
will find an FUP(fair useage policy).
not sure about this but as far as I can make out there are two exceptions -
Zen and IDNET, but there are others who cave high limits on fair useage
around the 90-100 gig per month.
hope this helps
Roy

Old December 25th 05, 05:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ivor Jones

"keymaster" wrote in
message

[snip]

Hi
most "unlimited" dont have a limit - but if you read the
small print you will find an FUP(fair useage policy).
not sure about this but as far as I can make out there
are two exceptions - Zen and IDNET, but there are others
who cave high limits on fair useage around the 90-100 gig
per month. hope this helps
Roy

Something is either unlimited or it isn't. There are no grey areas in
this. Either they cap you/complain if you use more than a certain amount
or they don't. Simple. It's like these supermarkets that offer something
"absolutely free" and then go on to state loads of terms and conditions.
Either something's free or it isn't.

I doubt you'll find anyone who has no usage limits whatsoever. I may be
wrong but I doubt it.

Ivor

Old December 26th 05, 12:32 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Cog

On Sun, 25 Dec 2005 12:21:10 +0000, Nigel wrote:

According to the tiscali website, their packages are 'unlimited', but a
fair use policy exists. Outside of the fair use periods the service is
unlimited (according to their website) WRONG! A mate of mine has just
been told by their support that there is a 30Gig cap on all unlimited
packages. I thought they had dropped all the caps some months ago?

Tiscali's email replies to me state quite clearly that outside of peak
hours you can up/download as much as you like.

"You may upload and download as you wish outside the peak hours; however
we ask that you are considerate when using the internet during the peak
period."

So yes, I do believe that they are unlimited outside of peak hours.
However, I think their measurements during peak hours are either
incompetent or dishonest.

I think their recent change to peak hours (making weekends 6pm to 11pm
like the rest of the week, rather than the previous 12pm-4pm)... reflect
the fact that they have been making a mess of their stat collection over
the last couple of months since the removal of capping and the
introduction of the FUP. Lots of people who have been following the Fair
Use Policy (me, for example) have been getting warnings. I can't prove the
claims in this final paragraph... but Tiscali are reluctant state exactly
how I've violated their FUP -- how much down/up during peak and making
clear the limit.
Old December 26th 05, 01:09 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Nigel

"Cog" wrote in message
news
On Sun, 25 Dec 2005 12:21:10 +0000, Nigel wrote:

According to the tiscali website, their packages are 'unlimited', but a
fair use policy exists. Outside of the fair use periods the service is
unlimited (according to their website) WRONG! A mate of mine has just
been told by their support that there is a 30Gig cap on all unlimited
packages. I thought they had dropped all the caps some months ago?

Tiscali's email replies to me state quite clearly that outside of peak
hours you can up/download as much as you like.

"You may upload and download as you wish outside the peak hours; however
we ask that you are considerate when using the internet during the peak
period."

So yes, I do believe that they are unlimited outside of peak hours.
However, I think their measurements during peak hours are either
incompetent or dishonest.

It seems that they are not playing the game then, because my friend called
them last week and they told him that he was on an Unlimited package, so his
download limit was definitely 30GB. When he questioned this, they said that
the average customer uses around 2Gb a month. This suggests that the
unlimited package is infact not unlimited at all (at any time), even outside
the fair use times.

Old December 26th 05, 01:49 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Cog

On Mon, 26 Dec 2005 00:09:25 +0000, Nigel wrote:

It seems that they are not playing the game then, because my friend
called them last week and they told him that he was on an Unlimited
package, so his download limit was definitely 30GB. When he questioned
this, they said that the average customer uses around 2Gb a month. This
suggests that the unlimited package is infact not unlimited at all (at
any time), even outside the fair use times.

It sounds like a clueless phone monkey. Tiscali are very clear about the
fact that there are no limits outside peak hours (it's in their fair use
policy, which you agree to when you sign up for 12 months). If they are
lying about that, then they are going to be in an awful lot of trouble.

As I said, my beef with them is over their inaccurate stats and general
refusal to clarify the vague "warnings" they send out. I have no reason,
yet, to mark them out as seriously blatant liars.
Old December 26th 05, 10:45 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
7

Nigel wrote:

According to the tiscali website, their packages are 'unlimited', but a
fair
use policy exists. Outside of the fair use periods the service is
unlimited
(according to their website) WRONG! A mate of mine has just been told by
their support that there is a 30Gig cap on all unlimited packages. I
thought they had dropped all the caps some months ago?

Do all unlimited ISPs work in the same fashion? Or is this one the only
unlimited-limited ISP?

You report them to the advertising standards authority
with a printout of the offending material
stating why you were misled and they do the investigation for you.
You would also tell them that such misleading adverts would
be unfair against genuine unlimited service providers
as you were prepared to part with money for such genuine services.

Old December 26th 05, 12:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
keymaster

"Ivor Jones" wrote in message

[...]

I am afraid you are, Zen have no limits on times or sizes of downloads, in
fact the actually encourage downloaders. I am not 100% sure about idnet
however.
My ISP are how you describe, +net used to describe theirselves as
"unlimited" until taken to task. I would love to tell them to sod off for
this reason, but cant afford to LOLOL.
regards
Roy

Old December 26th 05, 04:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Pete Verdon

keymaster wrote:

I would love to tell them to sod off for this reason, but cant afford to LOLOL.

I might be able to afford to LOLOL, but I don't know how.

Pete