Netgear DG824m help please.

Old December 25th 05, 02:46 PM posted to alt.comp.networking.connectivity,alt.internet.wireless,uk.telecom.broadband
Paul

Default Netgear DG824m help please.

Hi

Am very new to this so pls be patient

I currently use a laptop with a wireless LAN card and the above router which
works fine - I had this set up for me by a friend so am not too familiar
with how he did it but understand the basics. Basically he disabled Windows
handling the networking on the PC as it's only running Windows XP SP1 and he
set up the router for my home network making it secure using 64 bit
encryption and hexadecimal (sp?) keys. I have set up the card with the same
settings after formatting the PC and it works fine.

Problem is that I have now bought a new laptop with built in wireless
capability running Windows XP Service Pack 2. The new PC can see my home
network but can't access it as it's secure and, when prompted for the key it
won't accept the hexadecimal key and instead asks for a different one. It
says the password needs to be 40 bits or 104 bits and can be entered as 5 or
13 ASCII characters or 10 or 26 hexadecimal characters - what? How do I

(a) generate the required type of key or find the existing one in the format
require by the new PC to access the network.

(b) view the key within the router so I can just input it as requested?

I can't see anywhere on the router gateway where this is stored and the
bloke who installed it originally is scratching his head also. The router
firmware is the latest one and still works perfectly on the old PC with the
LAN card.

Question is whether anyone can help me through this - it's been suggested
that I may need a new router as this one is a few yrs old now. If that's the
case can anyone recommend an up to date equivalent (inc firewall) to the
DG824?

All help appreciated as it's annoying that I can't use my new toy yet.

Thanks in advance.

Paul

Old December 25th 05, 03:15 PM posted to alt.comp.networking.connectivity,alt.internet.wireless,uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

On 25 Dec 2005 13:46, "Paul" wrote:

All help appreciated as it's annoying that I can't use my new toy yet.

surely you can plug in with a cable for now :-)
Old December 25th 05, 07:07 PM posted to alt.internet.wireless,uk.telecom.broadband
Jeff Liebermann

On Sun, 25 Dec 2005 13:46:12 -0000, "Paul"
wrote:

[alt.comp.networking.connectivity deleted as Newsguy claims its an
invalid group]

Basically he disabled Windows
handling the networking on the PC as it's only running Windows XP SP1 and he
set up the router for my home network making it secure using 64 bit
encryption and hexadecimal (sp?) keys.

Beware of such friends. They should have installed XP SP2 and
subsequent updates. 64 bit encryption is marginal at best. The
prefered encryption level is WPA-PSK (pre-shared key) which one of the
post XP SP2 updates would have installed on your machine.
Unfortunately, the DG824M router does not support WPA-PSK so you'll
have to live with either WEP 64 or WEP 128.

This might help:
http://kbserver.netgear.com/kb_web_files/n100684.asp

Problem is that I have now bought a new laptop with built in wireless
capability running Windows XP Service Pack 2. The new PC can see my home
network but can't access it as it's secure and, when prompted for the key it
won't accept the hexadecimal key and instead asks for a different one. It
says the password needs to be 40 bits or 104 bits and can be entered as 5 or
13 ASCII characters or 10 or 26 hexadecimal characters - what? How do I

Connect to the Netgear DG824M router with:
http://192.168.0.1
I think it's on the "Basic Settings" page (not sure). It will show an
ASCII text string of exactly 5 characters and a hexadecimal string of
exactly 10 characters. Write BOTH of them down. That's your WEP key.

If you can't extract the existing WEP key, then change it to a new
one. If so, select HEX and not ASCII, as Hex always works, while
ASCII sometimes does not because of differences between different
manufacturers ideas of how to convert ASCII to Hex. If you do this,
you'll also need to change the WEP key in the old computer.

When your new computah requests an encryption key, set it to 64 bit
ASCII and give it the 5 character ASCII key. If it's Windoze XP, the
64/128 part is automatic. If ASCII doesn't work, set it to 64 bit HEX
and give it the 10 digit Hex key. That always works.

I suggest you contact someone that can help you setup and update your
machines properly. Your first machine will require updates and you
should probably switch to WEP 128 bit encryption for slightly improved
security.

I can't see anywhere on the router gateway where this is stored and the
bloke who installed it originally is scratching his head also. The router
firmware is the latest one and still works perfectly on the old PC with the
LAN card.

The manual is online at:
ftp://downloads.netgear.com/files/dg824m_ref_manual.pdf
The instructions for setting up WEP are under "Wireless Settings".

Question is whether anyone can help me through this - it's been suggested
that I may need a new router as this one is a few yrs old now. If that's the
case can anyone recommend an up to date equivalent (inc firewall) to the
DG824?

The only think this router is lacking is WPA-PSK encryption. Whether
you need or want that is determined by whether you're worried about
someone borrowing your bandwidth or breaking into your system via
wireless.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D