Best modem router for torrents please !

Old December 26th 05, 10:20 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Default Best modem router for torrents please !

I'm looking to buy a wired 4port (+1 usb?) adsl modem router,
preferably one that doesn't occasionally cut out when downloading
torrents.
There are many complaints/gripes on the net about various routers which
crash when overloaded and various solutions but no recommendations
about which ones actually cope best with torrents ! I'm not worried
about torrent speed but about stability.

Any suggestions or link to a list of best performing rmodem-routers
would be appreciated.

Old December 26th 05, 01:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Kraftee wrote:
wrote:
I'm looking to buy a wired 4port (+1 usb?) adsl modem router,
preferably one that doesn't occasionally cut out when downloading
torrents.
There are many complaints/gripes on the net about various routers
which crash when overloaded and various solutions but no
recommendations about which ones actually cope best with torrents !
I'm not worried about torrent speed but about stability.

Any suggestions or link to a list of best performing rmodem-routers
would be appreciated.

If money is no problem get yourself a Draytek 2600 series. Not the
cheapest but when configured properly runs as sweet as a nut (10 days +
from the last reboot caused by me trying out a 'new' router)..

If money is a problem then I'd say try a Netgear DG834 & look for some
of the beta firmware upgrades (I recall the best for me was 2.10). Even
if it does drop out it's only for the period of a reboot (about 90
seconds)

Thanks for the advice.
Another thing I would like to try is to set up a computer in my house
abroad for security monitoring (with webcam software). The main problem
is that there are regular power cuts.
I can sort the computer to reboot etc. but it is the adsl connection
I'm unsure about. It would all be on a UPS.

Old December 26th 05, 03:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

Default UPS ( was Best modem router for torrents please !

On 26 Dec 2005 14:09, "Kraftee" wrote:

I get less than 15 minutes with my belkin

what model, and what is plugged in, please ?
Old December 26th 05, 03:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Alex Meaden wrote:
wrote:
Thanks for the advice.
Another thing I would like to try is to set up a computer in my house
abroad for security monitoring (with webcam software). The main problem
is that there are regular power cuts.

Maybe you need to talk to your electricity supplier...

It's on an island and they use wind and geothermal. When it hasn't
rained for a while the geothermal gets a bit patchy because there isn't
enough groundwater to generate steam.
Talking to electricity suppliers rarely achieves anything....

I can sort the computer to reboot etc. but it is the adsl connection
I'm unsure about. It would all be on a UPS.

If you connect the ADSL router to the UPS then it should remain powered
and working.

That's the plan. Stupidly though there is plenty of info on the net
about how various UPSs switch off the computer but none about them
automatically turning the puter back on....

I may have to make my own UPS (I do a bit of electronics) for my 19volt
vectra e-pc, then I wouldn't need any software at all for power
up/down. I may be able to wangle it by paralleling a relay with the
computer on-off switch that briefly comes on when the power goes down
or up (and some nicads to give it a few minutes) and therefore powers
things up as well as down.
My main reason for posting here though is to find a RELIABLE adsl
router. It will have to work for months unattended.