problems setting up ZyXEL router

Old December 26th 05, 06:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
diesel

Default problems setting up ZyXEL router

"diesel" wrote in message news:...
hi all

i have got a new router for my adsl connection with btinternet.

the router i have is a ZyXEL P-660HW as seen at the page below.

http://www.zyxel.com/product/model.p...lue=1021873638

now i have checked the settings bt use at this page

http://btybb.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/bt...h&p_faqid=7447

and here

http://btybb.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/bt...h&p_faqid=6278

now unfortunatly my router install didnt go totaly to plan.

the first pc is connected via cable and i can log into the router and
access
the wizard with this i entered the details id asked for the same as on the
pages like this:

WAN Information:

Mode: Routing

Encapsulation: PPPoA

Multiplexing: VC

VPI/VCI: 0/38

User Name :
Password : ********
IP Address : Obtain an IP Address Automatically
Network Address Translation: SUA Only
Connect on Demand: Max Idle Timeout 0 sec.

LAN Information:

IP Address: 192.168.1.1

IP Mask: 255.255.255.0

DHCP: ON

Client IP Pool Starting Address: 192.168.1.33

Size of Client IP Pool: 32

ok so far so good, i couldnt find a setting for Authentication to put to
CHAP or even modulation to G.DMT. next stage is to test the settings and
this is what i get every time.

LAN connections

Test your Ethernet Connection PASS

WAN connections

Test ADSL synchronization PASS

Test ADSL(ATM OAM) loopback test PASS

Test PPP/PPPoE server connection FAIL

Ping default gateway FAIL

the last 2 i cant seem to be able to figure out, and of course when i try
connect to a web page i either get "host not found" or a message asking if
have a static IP (which i dont)

im a bit useless with networking so please bear with me it the answer is
totaly obvious, i just cant see what ive got wrong.

diesel