Wireless Network Setup (Laptop)

Old December 27th 05, 01:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ono Nottim

Default Wireless Network Setup (Laptop)

Hi All
I hope you've all had a good Christmas.
Yesterday I went out to buy a Laptop wireless network adapter from my local
PC World store. I bought the Linksys Wireless - G adapter with 3 yrs
warranty & "up to 35% faster" claims. This is to hook up an old laptop that
my wife uses for digital imaging running Win98se (- all updated). The system
was also running AVG anti virus & a free firewall.
When I tried to install the software I tried with minimal installation to
just get it up & running and then "tweak" the security etc later - just get
the router & card talking to one another.
Towards the end of the installation process it displayed an error message
which I took to mean that it couldn't have a blank field (somewhere). Just
as I was reading the detail the system shut down with a reboot and
subsequently part booted with error messages requesting a reinstallation of
windows.
I have tried re-installing the registry etc etc. but nothing seems to work.
When I go to re-install windows it knows there is a operating system there
and suggests I don't overwrite.
I would love to keep what's on the hard-drive.
Can any kind person offer any suggestions please?
Error message 1 -
"Error loading explorer.exe
You must reinstall windows"
Error message 2 (when 1 is cleared)
"the MSVCRT.DLL file is linked to the missing export
NTDLL.DLL.RtlGetNtVersionNumbers"
The dot between "DLL" and "Rtl" is as if it was superscript (never seen one
like this before).
The "OK" check box on error message 2 is inoperative and I have to crash the
laptop out of it.
Upon delving into the remaining contents of the adapter box I found the
plastic bag containing the adapter had already been opened - the seal had
been gently peeled off it's backing - leaving both intact but in "separate
layers"
- thanks PC World - one stuffed laptop and a decidedly 2nd hand looking
adapter.
Any help to restore lappie without a "wipe & re-installation" will be most
gratefully received.
Many thanks for your time
Ono.

Old December 27th 05, 08:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ono Nottim

sorted - thanks ......
Regards to all
Ono
PS - PC World have all the kit I bought back - never again - not even in a
hurry!