Contention

Old December 27th 05, 03:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Slartibartfast

Default Contention

As an existing Demon dial-up customer, I'm probably going to stick with them
when I move to Broadband next month.

They offer a range of business accounts, of which I'll probably select the
cheapest (HomeOffice) or Business 500. One of the differences between the
two is the contention. HomeOffice is contended at 50:1, while Business 500
is conteneded at 20:1.

In practical terms am I likely to notice much difference in performance
between these two?

Is it relevant to mention that I live in a rural area and am about as far
away from the exchange as it is possible to get?
--
Slartibartfast
To reply by email, remove the FJORDS from my address

Old December 27th 05, 03:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"Slartibartfast" wrote in message
In practical terms am I likely to notice much difference in performance
between these two?

Its unlikely you would notice much difference.

Is it relevant to mention that I live in a rural area and am about as far
away from the exchange as it is possible to get?

No.

Regards
Sunil

Old December 27th 05, 04:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul Hutchings

In article ,
"Slartibartfast" wrote:

In practical terms am I likely to notice much difference in performance
between these two?

Generally no. If your exchange is green you might still get the odd
slow period due to contention, but that's the nature of ADSL.

I'd say go with the home product and upgrade if you need to, but beware
that it's a 12 month contract and a couple of months back when Demon
users were having a lot of speed issues I believe Demon refused to let
customers change to the business service without paying off their 12
month "home" contract.

cheers,
Paul

Old December 27th 05, 05:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Tue, 27 Dec 2005 15:18:08 -0000, "Slartibartfast"
wrote:

In practical terms am I likely to notice much difference in performance
between these two?

not currently, though BT say the 20:1 service will always go faster
then the 50:1 service in times of slow down due to congestion.

50:1 HomeOffice is fine.

Phil

Old December 27th 05, 07:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John

In article , Phil Thompson
writes
wrote:

In practical terms am I likely to notice much difference in performance
between these two?

not currently, though BT say the 20:1 service will always go faster
then the 50:1 service in times of slow down due to congestion.

50:1 HomeOffice is fine.

Phil

I went Demon HomeOffice 500 February this year, and, like you, I am a
long way (~8Km) from the BT rural exchange I use.

My 500 Kbps service seems to have delivered OK (my impression) since my
swap over (checked for download and upload speeds against several web
sites, like ADSLguide.

That is until last week when my router (Speedtouch 510 with 4 ethernet
ports) has had considerable "on and off" synchronisation problems.
However, Phil has pointed me to issues of CRC errors and loss of links,
which show up in the router stats.

I would recommend the HomeOffice service (more costly), but gives access
to Demon's news servers. Also, check that the BB link is sustainable, or
you may get problems like I seem to be attending to. (See thread in this
NG).

--
John Clark
Old December 28th 05, 11:41 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gel

Check status at your exchange courtesy of Plus Net!
It may indicate if there's a particular problem.

http://usertools.plus.net/exchanges/