Am I the only Zen customer with slow speeds?

Old December 27th 05, 05:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Boss Hog

Default Am I the only Zen customer with slow speeds?

I've just migrated one of my Plusnet accounts to Zen,and much to my
dismay, the connection is worse!

On the ADSLguide.org speedtest, I used to regularly get 1872+ when on my
Plusnet 'Broadband Plus' account, but on Zen, I only manage (thus far) a
max of 1839 :-(

I've also been getting speeds as low as those I would have expected on a
512 connection from time to time this afternoon.

I'm fortunate enough to have 2 lines here, one has Zen DSL, the other a
Plusnet Premier account (until it gets downgraded sometime soon to a
Plus account) and the Plusnet speed is definitely better than Zen.

I've tried 2 different routers (a Draytek, and a Netgear) and also
changed MTU to 1458 (the best I seem to get before fragmentation) on the
routers.

I'll give it another 24 hours and a bit of fiddling before I get onto
Zen, but thus far, i'm not at all impressed, and almost 20.00 a month
more to pay :-(

Old December 27th 05, 05:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
pete devlin

In message , Boss Hog
writes
On the ADSLguide.org speedtest, I used to regularly get 1872+ when on
my Plusnet 'Broadband Plus' account, but on Zen, I only manage (thus
far) a max of 1839 :-(

Hate to gloat but us poor Nildram users in the North of Scotland are
getting this:
Downstream 1902 Kbps (237.8 KB/sec) 2054 Kbps (inc.
overheads)
Upstream 249 Kbps (31.1 KB/sec) 268 Kbps (inc. overheads)

And that is the slowest in a long time. Usually my recorded speed is
actually faster than the 2Mb guide bar. All the kids must be off school
or summat, bah humbug.
--
Pete Devlin
"And the devil in a black dress watches over"
Old December 27th 05, 06:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ono Nottim

Hi
I'm only on a 256 connection with Zen and I'm getting 288 - up & down
(according to the router - also a Dray Tek).
I hope you get sorted soon - they seem a good bunch.
Regards
Ono

Old December 27th 05, 07:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

On 27 Dec 2005 18:37, "Ono Nottim" wrote:

I'm only on a 256 connection with Zen and I'm getting 288 - up & down
(according to the router

but that's the link speed between you and the exchange. A nominally
2000 kbps service shows 2272 / 288 on a router. Peter M.
Old December 27th 05, 09:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gordon Henderson

In article ,
Boss Hog wrote:

I've just migrated one of my Plusnet accounts to Zen,and much to my=20
dismay, the connection is worse!

On the ADSLguide.org speedtest, I used to regularly get 1872+ when on my=20
Plusnet 'Broadband Plus' account, but on Zen, I only manage (thus far) a=20
max of 1839 :-(

The difference between 1872 and 1839 isn't much though - do you really
need every extra bit possible? I mean, seriously, 33 bits per second?
Was it really worth the hassle of changing ISPs? You're practically at
the theoretical max. of a 2M service with those numbers.

Remember it's a contended service - you might well be on an exchange
with lots of others sucking every last bit out of the system...

I've just had 1878 with the adslguide speed test. (2028 true speed
estimated)

I'm sorry, but if you think 1839 is slow then get a life, and if I
were Zen tech. support then I'd tell you where to get off.

However... When I first connected, (with Zen) I was getting abysmal
speeds, and the support guys in Zen were very helpful in tracking it
down - it turned out to be an exchange problem in the end - others in
my street were affected too, however, I was getting less than 100Kbits/sec
at times. Now it's more or less the full 2M - it does drop occasionally,
but thats to be expected on a contended service. I seriously don't expect
them to do anything for you just for that handfull of bits a second.

But why care? Why spend your life chasing numbers looking for every last
bit? On a 2Mb 50:1 service, anything over 40Kbps is a bonus anyway. At
least with Zen you are paying for an uncapped service - just hang fast
for the extra second it's going to take on that 700MB download ...

Gordon
Old December 27th 05, 09:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Si

"Gordon Henderson" wrote in message
In article ,
Boss Hog wrote:

I've just migrated one of my Plusnet accounts to Zen,and much to my=20
dismay, the connection is worse!

Mine seems slow tonight, 1770...

However, you can read too much into all that...

As as poster said, it's pretty close to the maz that a 2MB service will
deliver.

Si.

Old December 28th 05, 12:02 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
It's Me

Have you looked at this in the Zen forum?

http://forum.zensupport.co.uk/shwmes...MessageID=7510

Old December 28th 05, 12:11 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Si

"It's Me" wrote in message
Have you looked at this in the Zen forum?

http://forum.zensupport.co.uk/shwmes...MessageID=7510

400-2000 !!

Si.

Old December 28th 05, 12:12 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Si

"It's Me" wrote in message
Have you looked at this in the Zen forum?

http://forum.zensupport.co.uk/shwmes...MessageID=7510

Coincidence that the speed guide instructions are *exactly* the same as
those at ADSL Guide?

Si.