Line Attenuation etc - whats it supposed to be

Old December 28th 05, 12:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
paulfoel

Default Line Attenuation etc - whats it supposed to be

My router reports this but :-

What are the figures needed for the various speeds?

I'm getting 59.5 (near end?) and 31.5 (far end?)

Old December 28th 05, 02:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On 28 Dec 2005 03:57:59 -0800, "paulfoel"
wrote:

I'm getting 59.5 (near end?) and 31.5 (far end?)

that's just inside BT's 1M service limit.

Phil

Old December 28th 05, 02:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kraftee

paulfoel wrote:
My router reports this but :-

What are the figures needed for the various speeds?

I'm getting 59.5 (near end?) and 31.5 (far end?)

With those figures you could be able to get 1Mb, depending on your SNR
figure but you would be able to get 512kb

43db max SNR for 2Mb
60dB.................... 1Mb
60db+ ....................512kb or 256kb

But that is not taking into consideration your SNR which is, in reality,
the real measure of what speed you can get/use with any certainty..

Old December 28th 05, 04:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

wrote:

I'm getting 59.5 (near end?) and 31.5 (far end?)

that's just inside BT's 1M service limit.

Phil

I wish. My 512 service on Netgear router shows:.

att: down: 57, up: 15.5
snr: down:20, up 23

How do I get BT to up me to 1meg?

--
cerberus
Old December 28th 05, 11:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Wed, 28 Dec 2005 15:10:29 +0000, lid wrote:

How do I get BT to up me to 1meg?

you order it from an ISP. If the
www.bt.com/broadband checker is only
offerring 512k then you can get it changed via the forums at ADSLguide
before ordering, as ISPs usually fail to take the initiative and make
the correction for you.

http://bbs.adslguide.org.uk/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=general&Number=2084086 &page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=0&fpart=

Phil

Old December 28th 05, 11:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Wed, 28 Dec 2005 12:26:22 -0000, "Martin Underwood"
wrote:

Line Attenuation 6.5 db 6.0 db
Noise Margin 30.3 db 28.0 db

my office line noise margins are 10 dB higher than that for a 5 dB
higher attenuation, ie ie have 15 dB less noise than you. Interesting.

Phil

Old December 28th 05, 11:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
paulfoel

wrote:

I'm getting 59.5 (near end?) and 31.5 (far end?)

that's just inside BT's 1M service limit.

Phil

Ahhhhh. So whys my sync keep dropping with a SNR of 15/20???