What equipment do I need ? How do I do it ?

Old December 28th 05, 08:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
APK1

Default What equipment do I need ? How do I do it ?

I currently use NTL broadband, which I have been happy with, however my
company has now installed a BT broadband line for me, my intention is to
cancel the NTL line and piggy back the free BT line.

Currently the bt modem only has one outlet, so presumably this will need
replacing for one which will allow me to plug in 2 computers, my daughters
computer is also running wireless through mine, so I think it is time for
hers to connect direct, Any recommendations for equipment ?

My second question is how do I use my mail, at the moment I use a Bigfoot
"hotmail" address which feeds into an NTL address, do I need to have an
account to use with another provider ?

Thanks in advance

Tony

Old December 28th 05, 08:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
{{{{{Welcome}}}}}

Thus spaketh APK1:
I currently use NTL broadband, which I have been happy with, however
my company has now installed a BT broadband line for me, my intention
is to cancel the NTL line and piggy back the free BT line.

Currently the bt modem only has one outlet, so presumably this will
need replacing for one which will allow me to plug in 2 computers, my
daughters computer is also running wireless through mine, so I think
it is time for hers to connect direct, Any recommendations for
equipment ?

My second question is how do I use my mail, at the moment I use a
Bigfoot "hotmail" address which feeds into an NTL address, do I need
to have an account to use with another provider ?

Thanks in advance

Tony

You need to replace the modem, with a router with build in ADSL modem.

Old December 28th 05, 09:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Adrian

{{{{{Welcome}}}}} wrote:
Thus spaketh APK1:
I currently use NTL broadband, which I have been happy with, however
my company has now installed a BT broadband line for me, my intention
is to cancel the NTL line and piggy back the free BT line.

Currently the bt modem only has one outlet, so presumably this will
need replacing for one which will allow me to plug in 2 computers, my
daughters computer is also running wireless through mine, so I think
it is time for hers to connect direct, Any recommendations for
equipment ?

My second question is how do I use my mail, at the moment I use a
Bigfoot "hotmail" address which feeds into an NTL address, do I need
to have an account to use with another provider ?

Thanks in advance

Tony

You need to replace the modem, with a router with build in ADSL modem.

Make that a wireless ADSL router and your daughter can connect directly.

Old December 28th 05, 09:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
APK1

Any recommendations for makes, also do I need to get a new mail account from
someone?

"Adrian" wrote in message
Thus spaketh APK1:

Old December 28th 05, 09:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ivor Jones

"Adrian" wrote in message

{{{{{Welcome}}}}} wrote:

[snip]

You need to replace the modem, with a router with build
in ADSL modem.

Make that a wireless ADSL router and your daughter can
connect directly.

I recommend the Fritz!Box Fon WLAN from www.avm.de/en - you get all the
above plus two Voice over IP phone sockets as well.

Ivor

Old December 28th 05, 09:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Pete Verdon

APK1 wrote:

Currently the bt modem only has one outlet, so presumably this will need
replacing for one which will allow me to plug in 2 computers, my daughters
computer is also running wireless through mine, so I think it is time for
hers to connect direct, Any recommendations for equipment ?

I'm assuming here that you have a modem with an ethernet socket (which
looks somewhat like a (US-style) phone socket) rather than a USB
connection.

To do what you want, which is the right thing to do, requires a modem, a
router, and a hub/switch. This can come in the form of one, two, or
three boxes, connected together in the order named above. You already
have a (single-port) modem, so one possibility would be to get a
separate router and plug it into the modem. This kind of device is sold
as a generic "broadband" router, ie not specific to ADSL or cable, and
comes in both single-port and (usually) four-port variants. Which is
better depends on the cabling requirements, but you'd probably be better
off with the four-port version, ie a built-in switch rather than a
separate one. Then just plug your three computers into the "downstream"
sockets.

An alternative would be to get a single box that combines modem, router
and hub[1]. If you already have an ADSL modem there doesn't seem much
point to this, but if your telephone socket is in plain view one box
will be neater than two which may be a consideration. This type of box
is sold specifically as an ADSL (or possibly DSL or xDSL) router.

An option on both types of router is a wireless link, and if any of your
computers are laptops I strongly recommend getting one - you don't know
what you're missing until you experience the ability to use the network
from anywhere in the house - or even just at your desk but without
having to worry about wires. But for Christ's sake make sure you turn on
the security facilities on the wireless.

Hope this is clear enough for you,

Pete

[1] Again, depending on the cabling, you could get a single-port
combined modem/router and separate hub, but this is an unlikely case.
Old December 28th 05, 10:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kraftee

APK1 wrote:
I currently use NTL broadband, which I have been happy with, however
my company has now installed a BT broadband line for me, my intention
is to cancel the NTL line and piggy back the free BT line.

Currently the bt modem only has one outlet, so presumably this will
need replacing for one which will allow me to plug in 2 computers, my
daughters computer is also running wireless through mine, so I think
it is time for hers to connect direct, Any recommendations for
equipment ?

It is possible to do what you are thinking about, BUT check with your
firm first, many do not allow private usage of their ADSL service & set
them up as a permanent VPN or VPC direct link onto their servers & do
not allow any surfing as such.

If they do then all you will require is 4 port ADSL router (wifi if you
like, for your daughter but remember to encode the link)

My second question is how do I use my mail, at the moment I use a
Bigfoot "hotmail" address which feeds into an NTL address, do I need
to have an account to use with another provider ?

You should be able to log into your Bigfoot account & change the details
for your new ADSL account, with the proviso above taken into
consideration...

Old December 28th 05, 11:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
APK1

Thanks guys for some very comprehensive replies, I think I now know what i'm
looking for. Kraftee your comment about private usage rings alarm bells, as
we connect through a VPN icon for evrything except internet explorer, does
this mean it is in some way locked?

"Kraftee" please we're bristish.com wrote
in message ...

Old December 28th 05, 11:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kraftee

APK1 wrote:
Thanks guys for some very comprehensive replies, I think I now know
what i'm looking for. Kraftee your comment about private usage rings
alarm bells, as we connect through a VPN icon for evrything except
internet explorer, does this mean it is in some way locked?

It may be prudent to check with your company before going ahead & buying
kit which they may not allow you to use. Some companies set up there
remote staff with 2 logins, one the secure VPN/VPC link into the
companies servers & another to allow full & free surfing with access to
Big foot etc, but many don't.

Best thing to do is check first, without putting any money on the
line...

Old December 29th 05, 09:38 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
APK1

I'vetried that but can't seem to find anyone that knows about it! It is a
large company, and getting through the layers seems almost impossible. As a
test I can plug in and use, internet is fine but can't use e-mail, do I need
to change my settings somewhere ?

Tony