NTL using 3rd party blacklister, no more Yahoo group mail? ;-(

Old December 28th 05, 08:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
T i m

Default NTL using 3rd party blacklister, no more Yahoo group mail? ;-(

Hi All,

I have been with NTL since they started digging the roads up and have
'enjoyed' paid dial-up, free (cheap?) dial-up, 150kb/s cable BB, 300k,
1M and for the moment, 10M (pushed the wrong button .. well more like
7M though the old Terayon TJ210 cm).

I recently noticed much of my daily avalanche of spam had stopped,
along with some innocent emails so reset my (their?) spam forwarding
to 'send it to me but mark it as spam' and continued to deal with it
my end.

Then I noticed all of my Yahoo Group mails had stopped and at the
Yahoo end the group mail status was that it had been 'soft bounced N
times so was disabled'.

Trying to reactivate the Yagoo group email was no help because NTL's
"3rd party" blacklisting service ate the reactivation message as well!
doh

NTL's broadband support have sorta confirmed the above and suggested
it would be down to Yahoo to get their email servers off the blacklist
... list .. ?

Anyone else seeing the same or know a solution (other than dumping NTL
that is ..)?

I do have an email forwarding thingy, (emails go to that and then to
my std ntl account) if I was to reset my Yahoo email to that would it
act as a buffer for NTL (and it's blacklists) or does it go straight
through anyway?

All the best ..

T i m
Old December 29th 05, 05:37 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
john

"T i m" wrote in message
[...]

They have also started to block access to POP/SMTP for certain companies
like gmx.net which is annoying. People at technical support haven't a clue
and have difficulty understanding so it's hard to get a reasonable
conversation.

Old December 29th 05, 09:42 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
T i m

On Thu, 29 Dec 2005 05:37:36 GMT, "john" wrote:

Trying to reactivate the Yagoo group email was no help because NTL's
"3rd party" blacklisting service ate the reactivation message as well!
doh

They have also started to block access to POP/SMTP for certain companies
like gmx.net which is annoying.

Nice ;-(

People at technical support haven't a clue
and have difficulty understanding so it's hard to get a reasonable
conversation.

Well, I believe like mosy 'outsourced' technical support the first
line folk are often telephonists with access to a tech database (like
the nice landy I spoke to yesterday who kindly sent me an email re
'how to take yourself off a blacklist' (when it wasn't *me* that was
blacklisted) sigh.

I then managed to get through to someone in Swansea and they did know
exactly what was going on and answered all my questions (and some) ..
luck of the draw I suppose ?

I'm now in the process of setting up another non NTL pop mail account
to handle all my genuine (non spam) Yahoo group mail .. ;-(

All the best ..

T i m
Old December 29th 05, 10:57 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John Youles

T i m wrote in message
:

Anyone else seeing the same or know a solution (other than dumping NTL
that is ..)?

I do have an email forwarding thingy, (emails go to that and then to
my std ntl account) if I was to reset my Yahoo email to that would it
act as a buffer for NTL (and it's blacklists) or does it go straight
through anyway?

The answer is to set up a Yahoo mail account configured to allow Pop access
(note that the "Yahoo Delivers" option must be ticked when you set up the
account otherwise it will not work).

You then configure your email reader to pick up mail from your Yahoo account
(they tell you how to do this).

Then change your yahoogroups to deliver to your new yahoo address rather than
your ntl address.

Finally, you set up your existing ntl address to forward to your yahoo address.

Note you mail can still be sent in the usual way via ntl.

HTH

--
John Youles Norwich England UK

Old December 29th 05, 12:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mike Scott

john wrote:

Then I noticed all of my Yahoo Group mails had stopped and at the
Yahoo end the group mail status was that it had been 'soft bounced N
times so was disabled'.

Anyone else seeing the same or know a solution (other than dumping NTL
that is ..)?

I do have an email forwarding thingy, (emails go to that and then to
my std ntl account) if I was to reset my Yahoo email to that would it
act as a buffer for NTL (and it's blacklists) or does it go straight
through anyway?

They have also started to block access to POP/SMTP for certain companies
like gmx.net which is annoying. People at technical support haven't a clue
and have difficulty understanding so it's hard to get a reasonable
conversation.

You could always run your own mail server and set your own rules. Mind
you, even /I/ block gmx.net :-)

various domains listed at www.scottsonline.org.uk
Mike Scott Harlow Essex England.(unet -a-t- scottsonline.org.uk)
Old December 29th 05, 07:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Geo

On Thu, 29 Dec 2005 10:57:51 GMT, John Youles wrote:

The answer is to set up a Yahoo mail account configured to allow Pop access
(note that the "Yahoo Delivers" option must be ticked when you set up the
account otherwise it will not work).

snip

Yes - we have just been through exactly the same problem with Blueyonder using
Spamhaus to lose our emails before we get a chance to filter out the spam.
Yahoo groups loss caused an outcry in the Blueyonder newsgroups but they did
nothing to help, so we had to adopt the same workround...

Geo
Old December 31st 05, 10:43 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
T i m

On Thu, 29 Dec 2005 19:16:26 GMT, Geo
wrote:

On Thu, 29 Dec 2005 10:57:51 GMT, John Youles wrote:

The answer is to set up a Yahoo mail account configured to allow Pop access
(note that the "Yahoo Delivers" option must be ticked when you set up the
account otherwise it will not work).

snip

Yes - we have just been through exactly the same problem with Blueyonder using
Spamhaus to lose our emails before we get a chance to filter out the spam.
Yahoo groups loss caused an outcry in the Blueyonder newsgroups but they did
nothing to help, so we had to adopt the same workround...

Thanks to all who replied (especially John with his detailed steps)
;-)

I have a couple of non NTL (and non Yahoo!) pop mailboxes so I think
I'll try one of those first ..

All the best ..

T i m