NTL no POP3 on other connections

Old December 29th 05, 02:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
R. Mark Clayton

Default NTL no POP3 on other connections

In a similar vein to an earlier post, do NTL (and others) block attempts to
do POP3 email via another ISP/telco's connection?

When a friend plugs his laptop into our (BTconnect) served net, sending
emails bounce with refusal to relay. Or is there something silly with BT?

--

R. Mark Clayton

remove nospa for email

Old December 29th 05, 02:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Adrian

R. Mark Clayton wrote:
In a similar vein to an earlier post, do NTL (and others) block
attempts to do POP3 email via another ISP/telco's connection?

When a friend plugs his laptop into our (BTconnect) served net,
sending emails bounce with refusal to relay. Or is there something
silly with BT?

POP3 is where you collect your mail, usually easily available. To send you
use the SMTP server, often only accessable through your ISP.

Old December 29th 05, 02:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Partridge

In article , R. Mark
Clayton writes
In a similar vein to an earlier post, do NTL (and others) block attempts to
do POP3 email via another ISP/telco's connection?

When a friend plugs his laptop into our (BTconnect) served net, sending
emails bounce with refusal to relay. Or is there something silly with BT?

*Normally* you can collect via POP3 from any (most) ISP's from any
(most) other ISP-provided accounts.
To send o/g email, you use the mailserver of the ISP you have the
connection from. - You may need to enter username/password credentials
for it to work.
Philip Partridge
Old December 29th 05, 03:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
News24

"R. Mark Clayton" wrote in
:

In a similar vein to an earlier post, do NTL (and others) block
attempts to do POP3 email via another ISP/telco's connection?

When a friend plugs his laptop into our (BTconnect) served net,
sending emails bounce with refusal to relay. Or is there something
silly with BT?

This is the same with most UK ISPs, and is largely down to security, as it
should prevent sending of mail (inc spam and threatening etc) which is
untraceable. The ISP nearly always has a record of IP address or CLI for
sent mail. For example Wanadoo/Freeserve prohibits send on dial-up if your
number is witheld, though it will let you send from any line if it has CLI
and a login with a registered account.
Old December 29th 05, 03:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
john

"R. Mark Clayton" wrote in message
In a similar vein to an earlier post, do NTL (and others) block attempts
to do POP3 email via another ISP/telco's connection?

When a friend plugs his laptop into our (BTconnect) served net, sending
emails bounce with refusal to relay. Or is there something silly with BT?

--

R. Mark Clayton

remove nospa for email

It isn't always NTL blocking connections to other ISPs. It is sometimes the
ISP in question. For example, I wouldn't be able to access my email on NTL
from a friend's BT account as NTL would keep it confined to their own
network. It would be similar trying to access BT stuff from an NTL account.
What I have noticed is that they are blocking access to third party mail
servers which use different PORT numbers, one such example is
www.gmx.net
and gmx.co.uk
Those systems which have worked for years are now being blocked by NTL.

Old December 29th 05, 08:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Lynch

On 2005-12-29, R. Mark Clayton wrote:
In a similar vein to an earlier post, do NTL (and others) block attempts to
do POP3 email via another ISP/telco's connection?

No, NTL do not block (my) use of POP3 to other ISPs

Pete

--
.................................................. .........................
.. never trust a man who, when left alone ...... Pete Lynch .

Old January 4th 06, 02:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Doz

On Thu, 29 Dec 2005 13:00:25 +0000 (UTC), R. Mark Clayton wrote:

In a similar vein to an earlier post, do NTL (and others) block attempts to
do POP3 email via another ISP/telco's connection?

When a friend plugs his laptop into our (BTconnect) served net, sending
emails bounce with refusal to relay. Or is there something silly with BT?

pop3 is for inbound mail.. your friend can still receive e-mail on any (almost)
ISP. Sending is another matter.
Old January 4th 06, 02:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Doz

On Thu, 29 Dec 2005 13:00:25 +0000 (UTC), R. Mark Clayton wrote:

In a similar vein to an earlier post, do NTL (and others) block attempts to
do POP3 email via another ISP/telco's connection?

When a friend plugs his laptop into our (BTconnect) served net, sending
emails bounce with refusal to relay. Or is there something silly with BT?

My ISP is Zen internet.. but my mail goes through BT Connect mail servers. I
have to use authentication for it to work.