Can BT Voyager 220V be used with Skype?

Old December 29th 05, 06:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Vince O'Farrell

Default Can BT Voyager 220V be used with Skype?

Hi all

The 220V is a BT router with USB & ethernet connections and a single UK
phone socket for use with BT's Broadband Voice service. I've not seen
any info posted about whether it is possible to use the 220V with other
VOIP services such as Skype. Anyone tried it or have any other useful
info on the subject?

TIA

Vince O'Farrell

Old December 29th 05, 08:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
sean

Vince O'Farrell wrote:
Hi all

The 220V is a BT router with USB & ethernet connections and a single UK
phone socket for use with BT's Broadband Voice service. I've not seen
any info posted about whether it is possible to use the 220V with other
VOIP services such as Skype. Anyone tried it or have any other useful
info on the subject?

TIA

Vince O'Farrell

Skype is like no other, it is useless. It does not use normal SIP
protocols like other providers.

Also BT does not use normal SIP protocols.. So you cant use anything but
the BT service on the BT hardware
Old December 30th 05, 03:28 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin²

Skype is just P2P software running on your computer, it won't work without
the computer running.
Absolutely nothing to with routers, ethernet etc.
All you can do is plug a 'phone' in to your USB port to get away from using
headset, or microphone and speakers.
Regards,
Martin

Old December 30th 05, 12:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul

Sean wrote:
Vince O'Farrell wrote:

Hi all

The 220V is a BT router with USB & ethernet connections and a single UK
phone socket for use with BT's Broadband Voice service. I've not seen
any info posted about whether it is possible to use the 220V with other
VOIP services such as Skype. Anyone tried it or have any other useful
info on the subject?

Skype is like no other, it is useless. It does not use normal SIP
protocols like other providers.

Actually Skype is quite good. I have relatives in France. I can call
them using SkypeOut for pennies.

OK, so Skype does not use SIP. So what? The whole VOIP thing is a
mess. And SIP is hard to use if you are behind a NATed firewall.

--
Paul
Old December 30th 05, 03:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ivor Jones

"Paul" wrote in message

Sean wrote:
Vince O'Farrell wrote:

Hi all

The 220V is a BT router with USB & ethernet
connections and a single UK phone socket for use with
BT's Broadband Voice service. I've not seen any info
posted about whether it is possible to use the 220V
with other VOIP services such as Skype. Anyone tried
it or have any other useful info on the subject?

Skype is like no other, it is useless. It does not use
normal SIP protocols like other providers.

Actually Skype is quite good. I have relatives in
France. I can call them using SkypeOut for pennies.

But it requires a PC to be on and running. I prefer to use an ordinary
phone. I get excellent rates on Sipgate to my friends in the US. All I
have to do is call them, ask them to call me back on my US number and it
costs both of us nothing..! Well I pay 1.5p to set up the call, but my US
friends have unlimited calling to any US number in their rental so it
costs them nothing to call me back..!

OK, so Skype does not use SIP. So what?

So you can't use it with an ATA..!

The whole VOIP
thing is a mess. And SIP is hard to use if you are
behind a NATed firewall.

Works for me. I have 4 Sipgate lines on two different ATA's and they all
work perfectly. I haven't had to forward any ports through the firewall or
anything.

Ivor

Old December 30th 05, 10:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
sean

Paul wrote:
Sean wrote:

Vince O'Farrell wrote:

Hi all

The 220V is a BT router with USB & ethernet connections and a single UK
phone socket for use with BT's Broadband Voice service. I've not seen
any info posted about whether it is possible to use the 220V with other
VOIP services such as Skype. Anyone tried it or have any other useful
info on the subject?

Skype is like no other, it is useless. It does not use normal SIP
protocols like other providers.

Actually Skype is quite good. I have relatives in France. I can call
them using SkypeOut for pennies.

OK, so Skype does not use SIP. So what? The whole VOIP thing is a
mess. And SIP is hard to use if you are behind a NATed firewall.

You can call any other SIP user free using SIP very easily.

Destination:

France
Cost:

1.1 p using voipfone.

It seems Skype are not too cheap.. I just can't stand it.. Sorry
Old December 31st 05, 03:28 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin²

Paul:
I have relatives in France. I can call them using SkypeOut for pennies.

I can do that for NOTHING with sipdiscount.
(Well yes, OK, I paid them 5 Euros to start with.)
Regards,
Martin

Old January 4th 06, 02:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Doz

On 29 Dec 2005 09:41:43 -0800, Vince O'Farrell wrote:

Hi all

The 220V is a BT router with USB & ethernet connections and a single UK
phone socket for use with BT's Broadband Voice service. I've not seen
any info posted about whether it is possible to use the 220V with other
VOIP services such as Skype. Anyone tried it or have any other useful
info on the subject?

TIA

Vince O'Farrell

To SIP or not to SIP.. who cares?! as long as it works!

SIP is a "standard" of sorts.. Skype is proprietry - but it works very well.

Doz
Old January 4th 06, 07:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ivor Jones

"Doz" wrote in message

[snip]

To SIP or not to SIP.. who cares?! as long as it works!

SIP is a "standard" of sorts.. Skype is proprietry - but
it works very well.

Only if you don't mind using a PC. Some of us prefer normal phones.

Oh and if you don't mind Skype using your bandwidth for its own purposes..

Ivor