MTU and RWIN

Old December 30th 05, 08:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris

Default MTU and RWIN

It seems that the MTU is a function of the router, but that RWIN is a
function of the connected computer. Is that correct?

If so, does that mean you have to set up the RWIN on each computer that
is plugged into the router?
--
Chris
Old December 30th 05, 09:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alan

In message ], Chris ]
wrote

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/tweaks?text=1

--
Alan
news2005 {at} amac {dot} f2s {dot} com
Old December 31st 05, 02:41 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Furniss

Chris wrote:
It seems that the MTU is a function of the router,

I would leave the router alone (though you could do it on the router)
and change each PC - 1478 is best for normal UK dsl.

but that RWIN is a
function of the connected computer. Is that correct?

If so, does that mean you have to set up the RWIN on each computer that
is plugged into the router?

Yes.

Andy.

Old December 31st 05, 03:23 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Furniss

Andy Furniss wrote:

I would leave the router alone (though you could do it on the router)

Thinking more I would say just doing it on the router will be at best
only partially effective (mtu on wan facing will only affect upstream),
at worse will break some sites (mtu on lan facing if on PC will fail
if the site ignores icmp frag needed - and many do).

What I think at 2am is often wrong though :-)

Andy.
Old December 31st 05, 03:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Sat, 31 Dec 2005 01:41:41 +0000, Andy Furniss
wrote:

I would leave the router alone (though you could do it on the router)
and change each PC - 1478 is best for normal UK dsl.

I would leave everything at the standard 1500, personally.

Phil

Old January 1st 06, 05:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dr Teeth

wrote:

I would leave the router alone (though you could do it on the router)
and change each PC - 1478 is best for normal UK dsl.

I get packet fragmentation at anything above 1458.

--
Cheers,

Guy

Old January 1st 06, 07:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Sun, 01 Jan 2006 16:38:47 +0000, Dr Teeth
wrote:

I get packet fragmentation at anything above 1458.

ISP or kit specific ?

C:\Documents and Settings\Phil.XP2100ping www.bbc.co.uk -l 2000

Pinging www.bbc.net.uk [212.58.224.88] with 2000 bytes of data:

Ping statistics for 212.58.224.88:

on Demon

Phil

Old January 2nd 06, 11:12 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David

Aren't you missing the -f flag? (eg. ping www.bbc.co.uk -f -l 2000)
Old January 2nd 06, 11:30 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Mon, 02 Jan 2006 10:12:40 +0000, David wrote:

Aren't you missing the -f flag? (eg. ping www.bbc.co.uk -f -l 2000)

no, I was being obscure - does that work for you without the -f ?
tried it on other websites ?

www.demon.net won't ping with 2000 packets, www.demon.co.uk will.

it shouldn't be necessary to adjust a PC down to the MTU that doesn't
fragment, as that is what PMTUD is supposed to do.

Phil

Old January 2nd 06, 01:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David

Phil Thompson wrote:

no, I was being obscure - does that work for you without the -f ?
tried it on other websites ?

yes, it works on www.bbc.co.uk and works on some others but not all

www.demon.net won't ping with 2000 packets, www.demon.co.uk will.

agreed

it shouldn't be necessary to adjust a PC down to the MTU that doesn't
fragment, as that is what PMTUD is supposed to do.

Phil

perhaps I've misunderstood but if you're trying to discover the maximum
MTU to use don't you need to use the -f flag to highlight when
fragmentation is occuring? In your example of www.bbc.co.uk, it echo's
the ping but you don't know that it's fragmenting without the -f.