More attenuation - can anyone make sense of this?

Old December 30th 05, 10:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
fred

Default More attenuation - can anyone make sense of this?

The background to this one is a long-standing failed migration into an LLU
provider. A perfectly sweet 2Mbit connection turned to **** overnight and all
attempts to fix it have failed. The problem has always been that I can sync
quickly and consistently but the supplier's logs have never shown a sync
condition or any login attempts. I haven't seen so much as a byte from
them.

Anyway, just borrowed a router that has comprehensive stats so here's a
few figures:

Local SNR Margin 31.0 dB
Local Line Attenuation 17.5 dB
Local Transmit Power 10.95 dB

Remote SNR Margin 0.0 dB
Remote Line Attenuation 20.0 dB
Remote Transmit Power 19.51 dB

To my untrained eye this looks pretty good, except of course for the
Remote SNR of zero! How on earth can the other figures be so good and
that one be so bad?

Its a zoom adsl router so some of the terminology is peculiar to them.
Here's some mo

ADSL Status: Showtime/Data
Downstream Speed: 2272 Kbps
Upstream Speed: 288 Kbps
Standard: Multimode

Someone has previously mentioned that this sync speed is not what is to
be expected from an LLU provider but I am none the wiser.

Any opinions/ideas?
--
fred
Old December 30th 05, 10:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kraftee

fred wrote:
[...]

You're on an alcatel equipped exchange & have got nothing to worry about

Old December 30th 05, 11:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
fred

In article ,
Kraftee writes
fred wrote:
[...]

Meaning these figures look ok, is the zero response a quirk of the Alcatel
equipment? I suppose that suggests my failure is some sort of
configuration issue then, not that it makes life any easier, they're stumped
and want to back out of providing altogether but after being kept waiting for
this long I'm not about to let them off the hook.

Perhaps this has been covered before but I'm wondering how the router can
work out these stats, does it require a 2 way communication between
exchange and router/modem chipsets: I'm transmitting at this level, ok I'm
receiving at this level so the line attenuation is this XX?
--
fred
Plusnet - I hope you like vanilla
Old December 30th 05, 11:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kraftee

fred wrote:
In article ,
Kraftee writes
You're on an alcatel equipped exchange & have got nothing to worry
about

Meaning these figures look ok, is the zero response a quirk of the
Alcatel equipment? I suppose that suggests my failure is some sort of
configuration issue then, not that it makes life any easier, they're
stumped and want to back out of providing altogether but after being
kept waiting for this long I'm not about to let them off the hook.

Perhaps this has been covered before but I'm wondering how the router
can work out these stats, does it require a 2 way communication
between
exchange and router/modem chipsets: I'm transmitting at this level,
ok I'm receiving at this level so the line attenuation is this XX?

Alcatel Dslams do on the odd occaision or 2 give out quirky results,
which is why I said that your on Alcatel equipment.

You are synching or else you wouldn't get any results so this does lend
itself to a configuration problem at your end (normally) but it's
equally possible that it may be at their end. Do they see you in synch
or not? That is the 6 million dollar question, if they don't then it
will be a problem either with their equipment, or even possibly you have
been connected to the BT Dslams..

Old December 31st 05, 12:18 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
fred

In article ,
Kraftee writes
fred wrote:
In article ,
Kraftee writes
You're on an alcatel equipped exchange & have got nothing to worry
about

Meaning these figures look ok, is the zero response a quirk of the
Alcatel equipment? I suppose that suggests my failure is some sort of
configuration issue then, not that it makes life any easier, they're
stumped and want to back out of providing altogether but after being
kept waiting for this long I'm not about to let them off the hook.

Perhaps this has been covered before but I'm wondering how the router
can work out these stats, does it require a 2 way communication
between
exchange and router/modem chipsets: I'm transmitting at this level,
ok I'm receiving at this level so the line attenuation is this XX?

Alcatel Dslams do on the odd occaision or 2 give out quirky results,
which is why I said that your on Alcatel equipment.

I see, it was your previous mention of chipset incompatibilities that
prompted me to try the Zero router (on top of my own router & spare
modem).

You are synching or else you wouldn't get any results so this does lend
itself to a configuration problem at your end (normally) but it's
equally possible that it may be at their end. Do they see you in synch
or not? That is the 6 million dollar question, if they don't then it
will be a problem either with their equipment, or even possibly you have
been connected to the BT Dslams..

Yes, def syncing here but they don't see me in sync at all. I won't claim to
be immune to finger trouble but they're not even seeing any login attempts.
Incorrect connection seemed likely but I can hear it when they tone test so
they seem to be on the right port. It wouldn't surprise me to find that I'm
still connected to BT's rack as well and that is the one I'm sync'ing to
(bt_test login fails to though).

Ports have been changed, multiple exchange visits but to no avail, the final
suggestion is to cease & reprovide to their BT wholesale product to get
away from whatever faulty gear/wiring/configuration I am connected to and
then migrate back later (when the dust has settled). It seems like such a
waste of time but I think I'll go for it as the path of last resort.
Old December 31st 05, 03:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Fri, 30 Dec 2005 23:18:25 GMT, fred wrote:

Ports have been changed, multiple exchange visits but to no avail, the final
suggestion is to cease & reprovide to their BT wholesale product to get
away from whatever faulty gear/wiring/configuration I am connected to and
then migrate back later (when the dust has settled). It seems like such a
waste of time but I think I'll go for it as the path of last resort.

you look to be already on BT kit, or the upstream would be 400k

Phil