OT - Nominet

Old December 31st 05, 07:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
JIP

Default OT - Nominet

Sorry, don't know where else to post.

Earlier in the year I registered one or two domain names, including two
..co.uk ones through 123-re.co.uk

I just had a letter in the post from Nominet asking me to go to their site
to verify my details.

Is this genuine? Or a scam to get info from me?

Cheers

Old December 31st 05, 08:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Isitsafe

This is normal - you check that all your details are correct. You can print
out a registration certificate showing your registered name(s) details.

Old December 31st 05, 08:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager

On Sat, 31 Dec 2005 19:58:52 UTC, "JIP"
wrote:

Sorry, don't know where else to post.

Earlier in the year I registered one or two domain names, including two
.co.uk ones through 123-re.co.uk

I just had a letter in the post from Nominet asking me to go to their site
to verify my details.

Is this genuine? Or a scam to get info from me?

Perfectly genuine. They started doing it a while ago, and I've had
letters for a few of my domains. It's no greate hassle, and you can see
you're on the genuine Nominet site anyway.

You only have to update the basic details, and it does make sure that
you are the right person. More worrying if you don't eventually get one!

It takes about five minutes to do it all, and you get to download a nice
colour copy of your certificate. Don't ignore it (even if some people
do); apart from anything else it's probably a safeguard against slipups
by whoever actually did your registration (usually your ISP).

euthanasia recommended. ]
Old December 31st 05, 08:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager

On Sat, 31 Dec 2005 20:19:42 UTC, Vhit
wrote:

Its genuine - but you can ignore it .

I dont even open the letters nominet send me most of the time .

We await the lapsing of your domain around June 18th, then!

euthanasia recommended. ]
Old December 31st 05, 08:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PlusNet Support Team

"JIP" wrote in message
Sorry, don't know where else to post.

Earlier in the year I registered one or two domain names, including two
.co.uk ones through 123-re.co.uk

I just had a letter in the post from Nominet asking me to go to their site
to verify my details.

Is this genuine? Or a scam to get info from me?

Cheers

Hi,

It's genuine, I've got a couple knocking around somewhere for my domains. I
don't think you have to confirm the details if you don't want to, I never
have and both my domains are fine.

--
With Regards,

Dave,

Old December 31st 05, 08:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
James

"JIP" wrote in message
Sorry, don't know where else to post.

Earlier in the year I registered one or two domain names, including two
.co.uk ones through 123-re.co.uk

I just had a letter in the post from Nominet asking me to go to their site
to verify my details.

Is this genuine? Or a scam to get info from me?

Cheers

Nominet are the internet registry service for the .co.uk names.

It's genuine. (assuming it says http://www.nominet.org.uk/ )

Old December 31st 05, 08:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Wilson

I just had a letter in the post from Nominet asking me to go to their site
to verify my details.
Is this genuine? Or a scam to get info from me?

Which site are they trying to get you to go to ?

All the registration forms i`ve had from Nominet (got one in the post
today) have a peel-off security sticker with an ID code behind it in
the event you want to do anything with the domain.

--
Please add the word "newsgroup" in the subject line of personal emails
**** My email address includes "ngspamtrap" and " ****
Old December 31st 05, 09:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager

On Sat, 31 Dec 2005 20:45:07 UTC, Vhit
wrote:

If you had looked proper you would have seen it was registered with
pipex/123reg and i've yet to hear of a single instance of them not
emailing you and telling you a domain is due for renewal .

Oh, I looked 'proper'. But any ISP can make a mistake. Most ISPs renew
it for you.

euthanasia recommended. ]
Old January 1st 06, 12:51 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ivor Jones

"Dave {Reply Address in.Sig}" wrote
in message
In message
,
JIP wrote:

Sorry, don't know where else to post.

Earlier in the year I registered one or two domain
names, including two .co.uk ones through 123-re.co.uk

I just had a letter in the post from Nominet asking me
to go to their site to verify my details.

Is this genuine? Or a scam to get info from me?

It's probably genuine. They ought to have all the
information anyway, they just like to make sure it's up
to date.

You should have received a letter in the post from Nominet with a password
to access their site.

Ivor

Old January 1st 06, 11:53 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mike News

On Sat, 31 Dec 2005 at 20:45:07, Vhit (Vhit
) wrote:
If you had looked proper you would have seen it was registered with
pipex/123reg and i've yet to hear of a single instance of them not
emailing you and telling you a domain is due for renewal .

45days / 30days / 15days / 2days is the usual unless you go into the
123reg control panel to tell it otherwise .

Yes they were very good at reminding me too. Just make sure your admin
email address is kept up to date in their panel.
--
Mike